Sunday Meditation with Sibbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Tempus faciendi, Domine.
The following quote provides an apt meditation for the Lord's Day. Deep truth concerning our Lord, from Richard Sibbes. And he only begins to unpack this--there is much more to meditate on:

Now, that Christ's sacrifice was so acceptable to God, there is a direct place for it in Eph. v. 2, 'Walk in love, as Christ hath loved us, and hath given himself an offering and a sacrifice to God of a sweet smell.' And indeed how many sweet savours were there in the sacrifice of Christ offered on the cross? Was there not the sweet savour of obedience? he was 'obedient to the death of the cross.' Phil. ii. 8. There was the sweet savour of patience, and of love to mankind. Therefore God delighted in him, as God, as man, as mediator God-man, in his doings, in his sufferings, every way.

Sibbes, Works, I.12.

I'm enjoying the reading of Sibbes so much I may have to give up the Matthew Henry reading challenge.

Here's another choice morsel, just a page later:

And what a comfort is it now, in our daily approach to God, to minister boldness to us in all our suits, that we go to God in the name of one that he loves, 'in whom his soul delights,' that we have a friend in court, a friend in heaven for us, that is at the right hand of God, and interposeth himself there for us in all our suits, that makes us acceptable, that perfumes our prayers and makes them acceptable. His intercession is till by virtue of his service, dying for us. He intercedes by virtue of his redemption. If God loves him for the work of redemption, he loves him for his intercession, therefore God must needs regard the prayers made by him, by virtue of his dying for us, when he loves him for dying for us. Be sure therefore, in all our suits to God, to take along our elder brother, to take our beloved brother, take Benjamin with us, offer all to God in him, our persons to be accepted in him, our prayers, our hearing, our works, and all that we do, and we shall be sure to speed; for he is one in whom the soul of God delights. There must be this passage and repassage, as God looks upon us lovely in him, and delights in us as we are members of him. All God's love and the fruits of it come to us as we are in Christ, and are one with him. Then in our passage to God again we must return all, and do all, to God in Christ. Be sure not to go to a naked God; for so he is 'a consuming fire,' but go to him in the meditation of him whom he loves, 'and in whom his soul delighteth.'

Sibbes, A Description of Christ, Works, I.13.

Yet another jewel from "the heavenly Sibbes":

Therefore let us shame ourselves. Is there such a store-house of comfort and grace every way in Christ? Why are we so weak and comfortless? Why are we so dejected as if we had not such a rich husband? All our husband's riches are ours, for our good, we receive of it in our measure, why do we not go to the fountain and make use of it? Why, in the midst of abundance, are we poor and beggarly? Here we may see the misery of the world. Christ is a prophet to teach us the way to heaven, but how few be there that will be directed by him? Christ is a king to subdue all our spiritual and worst enemies, to subdue those enemies that kings tremble at, to subdue death, to subdue the fear of judgment and the wrath of God, and yet how few will come under his government! 'Christ is the light of the world,' John ix. 5, yet how few follow him! Christ is the way, yet how few tread in his steps! Christ is our wisdom and our riches, yet how few go to him to fetch any riches, but content themselves with the transitory things of this life! Men live as if Christ were nothing, or did nothing concern them, as if he were a person abstracted from them, as if he were not a head or husband, as if he had received the Spirit only for himself and not for them, whereas all that is in Christ is for us. I beseech you therefore let us learn to know Christ better, and to make use of him.

Sibbes, A Description of Christ, in his Works, i. 21.

Mark Dever, pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church, wrote his doctoral dissertation on Richard Sibbes.

Good of you to mention that, Ivan. I have it checked out right now to read, but there's so much else on the table now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back