Sunday sport query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
I understand, and support, the idea of neither watching nor playing sport on a Sunday. But where does that leave a Christian in terms of a league competition in which some games are played on Sundays? One can hardly not pay attention to the Sunday games. Same is true for a cup competition in which some rounds are played on Sundays. Of more relevance to me are international cricket matches, played over five days including Sunday. The other four days can't be understood without the Sunday play. Should I stop following international cricket and just follow the county game, not played on Sundays as there are cup matches.

Is it too much to suggest that you follow the Lord and not the sport on the Lord's Day?

The other four days can't be understood without the Sunday play.

Can you record it to watch later? This doesn't seem like that hard of a question. If you are convinced you shouldn't watch it Sundays, then don't watch it- there's nothing worse than having your conscience scream at you. You don't "have" to violate what it says. Indeed, you shouldn't, if it is informed by the Word of God!

I haven't watched cricket before, so I don't know all that's involved- have you tried watching the other games and just reading about Sunday's in the news Monday morning?

Ooh...mind if I turn your phrase around- the other six days can't be understood without the Lord's Day.

Moved to Law of God forum. Let's keep the sports forum for discussing otherwise indifferent sports and pass times.

Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry I put it in the wrong place. Reading the report on a Monday would be no problem but it seems rather a cop out - not following sport on a Sunday but following Sunday sport. As a pretty new Christian I might be somewhat mixed up over this.

Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry I put it in the wrong place. Reading the report on a Monday would be no problem but it seems rather a cop out - not following sport on a Sunday but following Sunday sport. As a pretty new Christian I might be somewhat mixed up over this.

Ken, I can appreciate the newness of all this for you. Here is what the Westminster Larger Catechism says regarding the Fourth Commandment.

Q. 115. Which is the fourth commandment?
A. The fourth commandment is, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested in the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath-day and hallowed it.621.

Q. 116. What is required in the fourth commandment?
A. The fourth commandment requireth of all men the sanctifying or keeping holy to God such set times as he hath appointed in his Word, expressly one whole day in seven; which was the seventh from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, and the first day of the week ever since, and so to continue to the end of the world; which is the Christian sabbath,622 and in the New Testament called The Lord’s day.623

Q. 117. How is the sabbath or the Lord’s day to be sanctified?
A. The sabbath or Lord’s day is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day,624 not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful;625 and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to be taken up in works of necessity and mercy626) in the public and private exercises of God’s worship:627 and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.628

Q. 118. Why is the charge of keeping the sabbath more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors?
A. The charge of keeping the sabbath is more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors, because they are bound not only to keep it themselves, but to see that it be observed by all those that are under their charge; and because they are prone ofttimes to hinder them by employments of their own.629

Q. 119. What are the sins forbidden in the fourth commandment?
A. The sins forbidden in the fourth commandment are, all omissions of the duties required,630 all careless, negligent, and unprofitable performing of them, and being weary of them;631 all profaning the day by idleness, and doing that which is in itself sinful;632 and by all needless works, words, and thoughts, about our worldly employments and recreations.633

Q. 120. What are the reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it?
A. The reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it, are taken from the equity of it, God allowing us six days of seven for our own affairs, and reserving but one for himself in these words, Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:634 from God’s challenging a special propriety in that day, The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:635 from the example of God, who in six days made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: and from that blessing which God put upon that day, not only in sanctifying it to be a day for his service, but in ordaining it to be a means of blessing to us in our sanctifying it; Wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.636

Q. 121. Why is the word Remember set in the beginning of the fourth commandment?
A. The word Remember is set in the beginning of the fourth commandment,637 partly, because of the great benefit of remembering it, we being thereby helped in our preparation to keep it,638 and, in keeping it, better to keep all the rest of the commandments,639 and to continue a thankful remembrance of the two great benefits of creation and redemption, which contain a short abridgment of religion;640 and partly, because we are very ready to forget it,641 for that there is less light of nature for it,642 and yet it restraineth our natural liberty in things at other times lawful;643 that it cometh but once in seven days, and many worldly businesses come between, and too often take off our minds from thinking of it, either to prepare for it, or to sanctify it;644 and that Satan with his instruments labours much to blot out the glory, and even the memory of it, to bring in all irreligion and impiety.645

A football enthusiast said something similar to me. He was chastised for watching football on Sunday, and it was suggested he tape it and watch it on Monday. He replied that on Monday, he'd still be enjoying watching a game that was played on Sunday, so, he didn't see a difference.

I realize I am not answering your question, I just thought I'd let you know you are not the only one who as sort of thought of the same thing.

The other four days can't be understood without the Sunday play.

Can you record it to watch later? This doesn't seem like that hard of a question. If you are convinced you shouldn't watch it Sundays, then don't watch it- there's nothing worse than having your conscience scream at you. You don't "have" to violate what it says. Indeed, you shouldn't, if it is informed by the Word of God!

That's what I'll be doing with the Super Bowl Sunday night. It's going to be something my personal trainer and I will be discussing Monday afternoon, so I'll probably be getting up early to watch it via DVR (while carefully avoiding mainstream news sites and stations).

Normally, I wouldn't care, but it's a rematch from four years ago that didn't land in my favor (Pats lost after a defensive shootout), so its something I'd like to see.

In a secular and imperfect world we hear reports on the news etc of what has happened on the Sabbath, and we discuss it on the Six Days.

Even in a thoroughly Christianised society some necessary gathering and reporting of news would be necessary on a Sabbath In my humble opinion. I agree that sport on the Sabbath is in no way necessary.

I don't think it's you that's breaking the Lord's Day if you read about what has happened on the Lord's Day in the Mon-Sat paper, see it on the telly, or hear it on the radio and discuss it :2cents: And I don't think such behaviour gives any legitimacy or succour to Sabbath-breakers.

I don't follow sport, but I'm sure I'll have discussed or read about, heard or seen sporting events that happened on the Lord's Day - which of course shouldn't have happened on the Lord's Day.

But you'll have to think these things through prayerfully before the Lord yourself.

Interesting subject. Something I struggle with for sure. At least this year. As a huge NFL fan I never really gave much thought to the problem of watching football on Sundays. Since becoming reformed in the Spring it is now on my mind and and soul. Especially this weekend with the Super Bowl. Doesn't help that we have people coming over. :( I suppose cancelling the gathering because I don't want to defile the Sabbath may be a witness of sorts?

Ken, I can appreciate the newness of all this for you. Here is what the Westminster Larger Catechism says regarding the Fourth Commandment.

How many Presbyterian elders and deacons (including PBers) will watch the Super Bowl in violation of their ordination vows because they did not inform their presbytery or session of their exception to the strict view in the WCF, WSC, and WLC on the Sabbath.

Does everybody on this board consider the Sabbath Sunday (12am - 11:59pm) or Sundown Saturday - Sundown Sunday? Just curious.

Please take the topic to a new thread; thanks.:judge:
There are older threads on the time of observance for the Lord's day as well.
Does everybody on this board consider the Sabbath Sunday (12am - 11:59pm) or Sundown Saturday - Sundown Sunday? Just curious.

Scheduling any sports on the Lord's Day is a sign that people are content with throwing God's Law aside and re-writing their own. Why partner with them? If not following it on Sunday ruins it, leave it behind. It is not much of a loss compared to eternity with God.

Not to start a division or argument on this, and I say this with respect to the overall consensus here, but not all Christians (including Calvin himself per the Institutes) believe that the Sabbath is binding on Christians, so you'll get different takes depending on who answers you.

Dean:

You are quite right that there are different views of the Sabbath among Reformed and Presbyterian Christians.

The Confession of Faith of confessional Presbyterian churches, however, including the "American revised" edition of the WCF, makes it quite clear that the Lord's Day is to be strictly observed. Candidates may scruple, and such scruples may be permitted by their respective judicatories, which have an animus imponentis in understanding the Standards, including things like understanding that the reference to "recreations" (plural) is from the 1616 (and 1633) Book of Sports and does not have reference to everything that anyone today might consider recreation (singular), e.g., a refreshing walk or nap.

"Sports," as just mentioned, is definitely part of the "recreations' forbidden on the Sabbath: this is the official teaching of the church. What sets forth the teaching of the church is what is contained in the Confession, not what particular individuals (even a lot of them) may or may not believe.

Peace,
Alan

To follow up on Alan's comment; Calvin was at the very least in this regard a practical or practically a Sabbatarian; see the work of Primus and others. More recently Woody Lauer has made an even stronger case in Stewart E. Lauer, "John Calvin, the Nascent Sabbatarian: A Reconsideration of Calvin’s View of Two Key Sabbath-Issues," The Confessional Presbyterian vol. 3 (2007).

Gord
We aren't discussing the Super Bowl. We are discussing watching sports on Sunday good sir.

We aren't really. Surely all those here that agree with the WCF, agree that watching or participating in sports on the Lord's Day is sinful.

The Q is about thoughts, words and works on the Six Days respecting deeds done by others that shouldn't have been done on the Christian Sabbath.

Does the Bible or Confession treat such thoughts, words and works on the Six Days as sinful or a violation of the Sabbath?

Not to start a division or argument on this, and I say this with respect to the overall consensus here, but not all Christians (including Calvin himself per the Institutes) believe that the Sabbath is binding on Christians, so you'll get different takes depending on who answers you.

No problem - if I wanted everything on a plate I would have become a Moonie or some such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back