Sundays = Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OT sabbath was not arbitrary.

Exodus 20:8-11 8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

All the NT references show specifically that Gods people met on 'the first day of the week'.

Acts 20:7 7 And on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2 2 On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come.

The tithe is gathered on the 1st day.......

Nowhere do we see Christs church meeting together on Tuesday or Wednesday. This is nothing less than another fine example of poor theology or antinomianism.

Scott,
When I was arguing for a seventh day sabbath you brought up the one in seven argument to muddy the argument that I was making. These NT passages you have brought up are not explicitly referring to corporate worship on the 1st day of the week.

Acts 20:7 regards a time of fellowship which seems to have happened on one day - the day before he had to leave. "Hey everybody, I'm leaving Monday, lets get together on Sunday and break bread and fellowship and talk about the future. This will be our last opportunity face to face.

1 Cor 16:2 is telling the people that as soon as the week begins start saving money for when I come. It's says nothing about giving it in worship on the first day, in fact it says to save it until that day 'when I come'. Perhaps he came on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

These two verses are incidentals and cannot be made the basis for ecclesiastical doctrine.

I'm not going to start the whole seventh day argument again but I will continue to point out the change is not the result of the teaching of scripture but of tradition.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Nowhere do we see Christs church meeting together on Tuesday or Wednesday. This is nothing less than another fine example of poor theology or antinomianism.

What about Act 2:46-47?

46And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Originally posted by BobVigneault
Scott,
When I was arguing for a seventh day sabbath you brought up the one in seven argument to muddy the argument that I was making. These NT passages you have brought up are not explicitly referring to corporate worship on the 1st day of the week.

Acts 20:7 regards a time of fellowship which seems to have happened on one day - the day before he had to leave. "Hey everybody, I'm leaving Monday, lets get together on Sunday and break bread and fellowship and talk about the future. This will be our last opportunity face to face.

1 Cor 16:2 is telling the people that as soon as the week begins start saving money for when I come. It's says nothing about giving it in worship on the first day, in fact it says to save it until that day 'when I come'. Perhaps he came on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

These two verses are incidentals and cannot be made the basis for ecclesiastical doctrine.

I'm not going to start the whole seventh day argument again but I will continue to point out the change is not the result of the teaching of scripture but of tradition.

Bob,
The one in seven argument 'muddied' the waters? I have to go to work now, so I won't be able to interact with your post right now. If you believe the Lords day is traditional, would you mind supporting that with some historic references. I know of no one historically that holds to that idea.

I'll add: Was the OT sabbath arbitrary? Why would one think that the NT sabbath be arbitrary if the OT one wasn't?

Originally posted by jenson75
Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe I should be a bit tighter with the question:

Sunday = Lord's Day?

Sunday is not described in the Bible, but Lord's Day is. So how did we get to equate Sunday with Lord's Day? I am willing to concede that the early church just did it under the guidance from the Holy Spirit (I am sure they remembered the resurrection!), but do we know of an historical documents that could shed a bit more light on this?

The reason why I brought this up is this:
My friend who honours the Lord's Day, made a few quirky remarks about this issue. He insists that those who are involved in "duties of necessity and mercy" on Sunday, should worship on another day (Mon - Sat). To me, that is unusual.

He also made the argument that different countries in different time zones, worship God at different "Lord's Day". Is that a valid argument?

Hence I am bringing to your attention (hopefully!) the question, why equate worship on Sunday with Lord's Day?

Further comments?

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by jenson75]

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet" - Rev 1:10

What day, exactly, is the apostle referring to here? You have 7 choices.

I'll choose Sunday, with the apostles, the reformers, and the rest of the saints throughout history.

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by mangum]

Good for you Chris, scripture tells us you should be FULLY convinced in your own mind regarding your conviction or choice. The question still remains, can you back up the change from scripture.

The passage you sited also says "I was in the Spirit on the day of the Lord", depending how you translate it. Which day of the Lord would that be. The day of the Lord is always A day of judgment. Of course judgment is the subject of what Jesus is revealing to John.

The specific one day of seven was changeable, but by God's appointment only; not subject to change by man.
WCF 21.7. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment, binding all men, in all ages, He hath particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto Him:k which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week; and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,l which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,m and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.n
k, EXO 20:8, 10-11. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. ISA 56:2, 4, 6-7. Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. 4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; 7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

l. GEN 2:2-3. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. 1CO 16:1-2. Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. ACT 20:7. And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

m. REV 1:10. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.

n. EXO 20:8, 10. [See 7k]. With MAT 5:17-18. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Christ finished the work of Redemption and rose from the dead on the first day of the week thereby entering into his rest Hebrews 4:10.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
re but of tradition.

Bob,
The one in seven argument 'muddied' the waters? I have to go to work now, so I won't be able to interact with your post right now. If you believe the Lords day is traditional, would you mind supporting that with some historic references. I know of no one historically that holds to that idea.[/quote]

Scott, no I do not believe the day is arbitrary. When I say that the change from the seventh day sabbath to the first day Lord's day is based in tradition I mean that it's not based in scripture.

The best we can say is that because there seems to be a change of the day in the early history of the church that it was probably done with apostolic authority. Which apostles or when we don't know.

We can also say that the day was changed along with other 'boundaries' because of the NEW covenant economy.

But we can't point to a verse and say, this is where the day changed.

Personally I believe that the seventh day (Saturday) sabbath is a creation ordinance and couldn't be changed by an apostle. By Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath yes, but not by a messenger.

There are good arguments that can be made for a day change but they don't start in scripture.

Hi Bob,

Am I right to say that the "1 in 7" or Lord's Day does not necessarily need to be "Sunday"?

So is it only church tradition that declared Sunday = Lord's Day?

If you hold to a '1 in 7' application yes, I do not hold to that. Others will say that because Jesus is our sabbath rest that the sabbath went out with the old convenant distinctives.

I wish my seventh day friends (Seventh Day Baptist) a good Sabbath on Saturday and a blessed Lord's Day to my Sunday keeping friends. I won't break fellowship over this issue with anyone. But I do appreciate that wherever you come down on this issue that you hold strongly to your conviction and be prepared to defend it. If you can't defend it then consider changing.

In many areas of biblical study (ecclesiology, eschatology, sacramentology) the goal must be to find and hold to the school of thought that is the most defensible. There are some issues that defy dogmatism but that doesn't mean we should be wishy-washy. Study to defend your position. Don't claim a position because your favorite theolog holds to it but work to defend it from the scripture.

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by BobVigneault]

I will give a few arguments for the change. The firstis that we have precedent set by Christ and His apostles, which is as binding as their command. The apostles worshiped on Sundays. We should too.

• John 20:19. On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"
• John 20:26. A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"
• Acts 2:1. “When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.” The day of Pentecost was on the day after the Sabbath.
• Acts 20:7. “Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.” Note that the disciples came together to “break bread” – meaning partake of the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. This is the high point of Christian worship.
• 1 Cor. 16:1-2. Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

A second argument is from secondary sources. In Revelation 1:10 John wrote: “I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day. . .:” The passage assumes that the reader will know what this is. Sources external to the Bible indicate that this was Sunday. (Some of these statements are directly from Dabney's work on the topic).
• Ignatius, the celebrated martyr-bishop of Antioch, says, in his Epistle to the Magnesians, written not more than twenty years after the death of John, that "this is the Lord's day, the day consecrated to the resurrection, the chief and queen of all the days."
• Tertullian, at the close of the second century, says: We Christians "celebrate Sunday as a joyful day. On the Lord's day we think it wrong to fast or to kneel in prayer." It was a common opinion of the earlier Christians that all public prayers on the Lord's day should be uttered standing, because kneeling is a more sorrowful attitude and inconsistent with the joy and blessedness of Christ's day.
• Clement of Alexandria, a very learned Christian contemporary with Tertullian, says: "A true Christian, according to the commands of the gospel, observes the Lord's day by casting out all bad thoughts and cherishing all goodness, honoring the resurrection of the Lord, which took place on that day."

• Perhaps the most the most explicit is Eusebius of Cæsarea, who was in his prime about A. D. 325. In a commentary on the ninety-second Psalm, which is entitled, "A psalm or song for the Sabbath day," he says: "The Word" (Christ) "by the new covenant translated and transferred the feast of the Sabbath to the morning light, and gave us the symbol of the true rest, the saving Lord's day, the first of light, in which the Saviour gained the victory over death. On this day, which is the first of the Light and the true Sun, we assemble after the interval of six days, and celebrate holy and spiritual Sabbath; even all nations redeemed by him throughout the world assemble, and do those things according to the spiritual law which were decreed for the priests to do on the Sabbath. All things which it was duty to do on the Sabbath, these we have transferred to the Lord's day, as more appropriately belonging unto it, because it has the precedence, and is first in rank, and more honorable than the Jewish Sabbath. It hath been enjoined on us that we should meet together on this day, and it is evidence that we should do these things announced in this psalm.''

I will give three theological to arguments support the change of the creation ordinance from the seventh day to the eighth day. The first is that the life and work of Jesus parallels the creation account of Genesis. The final day on which He rested is Sunday. His ministry began with His baptism. At His baptism, the Spirit of God hovered over the waters and descended on Him. Matthew 2. This parallels the beginning of the creation account of the Spirit of God hovering over the waters. Genesis 1. God rested when he finished His work of creating. Jesus rested from His redemptive work when He was raised and returned from His descent into hell. This was Sunday. Consequently, Jesus’ day of rest has a significance similar to that of God’s day of rest at creation. Each of us is a new creation when we convert. 2 Cor. 5:17; Galatians 6:15.

A second argument is based on numerous Old Testament ceremonies and passages attach special significance to the 8th day. These examples include circumcision, ritual cleansing, etc. Do a word search of “eighth” and you will see numerous references, many concerning ceremonies and rituals. These may prefigure an eighth day of rest in the Lord, based on the Lord’s resurrection on the 8th day (Sunday).

A third argument is based on the redemption of Christ as a spiritual return to Eden. See Revelation 22 is one example. The Garden of Eden was a model of our life with God prior to the fall. Redemption to a certain extent restores us to this position. Images of Eden are often used to express Christ’s redemption. In Eden Adam was created on the sixth day and the Sabbath was on the seventh. This means that Adam’s first full day was a day of rest. Similarly, the first day of our week is a day of rest.

Scott

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by Scott]

Holy Moly Scott, using the gospel of John references implies you're trying to put the day change before the crucifixion even. I've never seen that before.

You have also appealed to Eusebius. Eusebius is the 'father of history' and Constantines waterboy. I'll be happy to concede the day change to the time of Constatine and his homeboy Eusebius.

Here's how I'd articulate my position, in brief:

1. The worship of God is regulated worship (2nd commandment)
2. The OT day of worship was designated in Scripture (4th commandment)
3. The 4th commandment is itself reflected in the earlier creation ordinance
4. So from the beginning of the world, God has "charged propriety" in one specifed day of the week
5. The coming of the NT did not overthrow the principle of regulated worship
6. The church never has authority to change the day of worship
7. The NT church does not gather for corporate worship on the 7th day
8. Starting on the day of the Resurrection, and repeated exactly one week later, Jesus begins to meet with his gathered people on the 1st day.
9. Subsequently, we have repeated NT references to the 1st-day gatherings of the church
10. This gathering for regulated worship, including the day, must be according to divine direction

Inferences
11. Jesus still meets with his people on the 1st day of every week in a pattern that has not changed from the beginning of this age
12. The "Lord's Day" of Rev. 1:10 is an early Christian designation for that recurring day of worship

Holy Moly Scott, using the gospel of John references implies you're trying to put the day change before the crucifixion even. I've never seen that before.

John chapter 20 is before the crucifixion???

Dang it! I said I wasn't going to argue about this. Stop baiting me! :D
Baiting!

Bob, I even included "this is how I articulate my position" so that no one would feel like I was piling on them.

(OK, yes, I did not MISS the smiley-face)

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
Here's how I'd articulate my position, in brief:

1. The worship of God is regulated worship (2nd commandment)
2. The OT day of worship was designated in Scripture (4th commandment)
3. The 4th commandment is itself reflected in the earlier creation ordinance
4. So from the beginning of the world, God has "charged propriety" in one specifed day of the week
5. The coming of the NT did not overthrow the principle of regulated worship
6. The church never has authority to change the day of worship
7. The NT church does not gather for corporate worship on the 7th day
8. Starting on the day of the Resurrection, and repeated exactly one week later, Jesus begins to meet with his gathered people on the 1st day.
9. Subsequently, we have repeated NT references to the 1st-day gatherings of the church
10. This gathering for regulated worship, including the day, must be according to divine direction

Inferences
11. Jesus still meets with his people on the 1st day of every week in a pattern that has not changed from the beginning of this age
12. The "Lord's Day" of Rev. 1:10 is an early Christian designation for that recurring day of worship

Good articulation Pastor Bruce. I would reverse the logic of you 2nd and 3rd points. The sabbath was instituted (not reflected) at the creation and placed as a law in our hearts, it was codified in the second commandment.

Number 7, this is an argument from silence. I'm only hearing crickets chirping.

8 and 9 are speaking of incidentals and say nothing explicitly about a day change.

Dang it! I said I wasn't going to argue about this. Stop baiting me! :D
Baiting!

Bob, I even included "this is how I articulate my position" so that no one would feel like I was piling on them.

(OK, yes, I did not MISS the smiley-face)

Pastor Bruce, I was posting while you were posting. I didn't mean to imply you were baiting me.

John chapter 20 is before the crucifixion???

OOOOOOOOOPS!
Hey if anyone wants to rent out my brain for a while it's available. I'M NOT USING IT!!!!

Don't be tempted to make an ad hominem argument now.

1. Bob say's things that are sometimes wrong,
2. Bob is a big, stupid idiot,
There fore,
3. Everything Bob says is wrong.

Sometimes I get lucky.

Sorry Scott, I take it back .

Jenson:

1) disagree. I think the Lord's Day=Sunday is a strong inference from Rev. 1:10 and the rest of the NT, and is supplemented by Christian practice (before Constantine, btw)

2) disagree. Jesus teaching regarding the Sabbath specifically identified what the WCF describes as "deeds of necessity and mercy." That is how we came to recognize those as allowable activities on the day of worship. What we hope for is that a "deed of necessity" should not providentially hinder us from worship.

If a person is called to shift work (for example) in a hospital it should not be something that always prevents his worship. How about going to the evening service if he misses the morning? How about working one weekend, but getting the following weekend off? How about not taking (or quitting) a job where you know ahead of time the supervisors will never allow you to worship God at His summons--time, date, and place?

You may recall, God judged Pharaoh severely for his refusal to spare Israel, merely for the purpose of worshipping God. "Him that honors me, him will I honor."

3) specious argument. The whole argument assumes that God cannot reasonably dictate a day to his creation on which to worship him. What about the pre-Christian era? The logic would also have to apply then as well as now. What about the OT Sabbath? Was it a creation ordinance or not? The argument proves too much.

The whole day is His. The day "turns" with the world. For some 24-hours, the whole globe by turns, and in various ways, and different times of the day, and several times a day, is giving the day and their worship to God.

As always, well said Bruce.

On points 2 and 3 I fully concur.

Jenson, I'm sorry if I needlessly confused your questions.

Jenson:

1) disagree. I think the Lord's Day=Sunday is a strong inference from Rev. 1:10 and the rest of the NT, and is supplemented by Christian practice (before Constantine, btw)

2) disagree. Jesus teaching regarding the Sabbath specifically identified what the WCF describes as "deeds of necessity and mercy." That is how we came to recognize those as allowable activities on the day of worship. What we hope for is that a "deed of necessity" should not providentially hinder us from worship.

If a person is called to shift work (for example) in a hospital it should not be something that always prevents his worship. How about going to the evening service if he misses the morning? How about working one weekend, but getting the following weekend off? How about not taking (or quitting) a job where you know ahead of time the supervisors will never allow you to worship God at His summons--time, date, and place?

You may recall, God judged Pharaoh severely for his refusal to spare Israel, merely for the purpose of worshipping God. "Him that honors me, him will I honor."

3) specious argument. The whole argument assumes that God cannot reasonably dictate a day to his creation on which to worship him. What about the pre-Christian era? The logic would also have to apply then as well as now. What about the OT Sabbath? Was it a creation ordinance or not? The argument proves too much.

The whole day is His. The day "turns" with the world. For some 24-hours, the whole globe by turns, and in various ways, and different times of the day, and several times a day, is giving the day and their worship to God.

:up:

OK, thanks for the answers so far. Before more heat is generated than light:deadhorse:, please help with the following:

1) The questions still remains to be answered. But I guess we can concede that, though we honour the Lord's Day (4th commandment...etc), we cannot say that Lord's Day = Sunday, am I right?

To help your thinking along, I asked above what is meant by the "Lord's Day" in scripture?

Is it Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday?

Bob has given a possible understanding of the Lord's Day in Rev 1:10, although I do not think it takes into account the rest of scripture Bruce mentioned above.

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by mangum]

1) The questions still remains to be answered. But I guess we can concede that, though we honour the Lord's Day (4th commandment...etc), we cannot say that Lord's Day = Sunday, am I right?

We can say that the Lord's Day is Sunday. That is the correct position. We can say is that not everybody agrees that the Lord's Day is Sunday. Some people are mistaken (with respect (in the sense of courtesy) to Bob and others who are not convinced).

This is one of the key issues with Seventh Day Adventists. They hold a Saturday Sabbath. See this outline of the Seventh day Adventist easchatology. The Sunday Worship issue is crucial to they way they view church history.

Scott

I would offer the Seventh Day Baptists and their commentary on keeping the Sabbath. The Adventists are a hairs width from a cult (or knee deep in it) and hold to extra biblical and false teachings.
Christ's resurrection fulfilled the 8th day prophecies of the Old Testament. The seventh day emphasis misses this point.

Also, the Saturday Sabbath was for the Old Creation. Christ's work innagurated the New Creation. That is why we have a new Sabbath.

Originally posted by Scott
I would offer the Seventh Day Baptists and their commentary on keeping the Sabbath. The Adventists are a hairs width from a cult (or knee deep in it) and hold to extra biblical and false teachings.
Christ's resurrection fulfilled the 8th day prophecies of the Old Testament. The seventh day emphasis misses this point.

Also, the Saturday Sabbath was for the Old Creation. Christ's work innagurated the New Creation. That is why we have a new Sabbath.

Yes, Scott, those are conclusions of that position. Unfortunately those positions begin with the conclusions and then fan through the scriptures trying to find proof texts and pretexts. No where in scriptures are those positions put forth.

There are no logical arguments from scripture regarding the day change, only speculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back