Super Bowl favorites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
Although the SuperBowl is such a long irreverent hype fest it would make an atheist ashamed of what it does to Sunday I was just wondering...does the PB crowd have a favorite team here?

As we say in Texas...I don't have a dog in this fight.
I have trouble getting any where near as excited about pro ball as I do the college games.
There are the silly reasons I could go for either team.
I like the way Chicago seems to have a Butkus style defense.
I like the way Manning has hung in there for the Colts.
but then,
The Chicago coach is from Big Sandy TX so he is sort of a homie.
but the Colts coach sure seems to have a lot of class and a faith that is strong evidenced by his statements after his son committed suicide last year.

Who are you guys pulling for?

Being how elite Peyton Manning is among quarterbacks, I would really like to see him get a ring. He is sort of becoming a John Elway. Unfortunately not winning the big one tarnishes the stats no matter how good they are.

Then again I wouldn’t mind seeing Chicago be successful again. The Giants are my primary team and I always root for the Packers, but not as my primary team (basically I am a Brett Favre fan), so I am allowed to not hate the Bears. I am not sure how Chicago even made it this far. I think they have been overrated all year. They had an above average season, but being in an embarrassing central division and even an overall weak NFC put them in a good opportunity to get to the big show by the skin of their teeth. The underdog hype may be what drives them to actually compete against Indianapolis.

Or Grossman could choke.

I will not be disappointed with either ending, but if I had to pick one favorite it would be Manning and the Colts.

for next year anyway....until then, Go Colts!!!!!!!

Heh, at first I thought you were saying in an encrypted way that you don't care who wins, so you combined the two teams, Bears and Colts and formed “Bolts”.

Then I came back later and realized, you probably meant the Chargers. :duh:

:eek:

Not really, I prefer rugby. I like team Scotland (though they lose alot) and the All Blacks of NZ.

But if I must say that I have a favorite "grid iron" team, it would be the Washington Redskins (I know their not in the running but). I grew up in VA where the closest pro team to us was the Redskins so they were the nearest thing to a home team. I grew up with my dad pulling for them so by default........

Heh, at first I thought you were saying in an encrypted way that you don't care who wins, so you combined the two teams, Bears and Colts and formed “Bolts”.

Then I came back later and realized, you probably meant the Chargers. :duh:

:eek:

:lol:
EXACTLY! Go Chargers! Next year....

growing up in Denton, texas, 40 miles north of dallas, i loved the Cowboys. then the world came to an end when the anti-Christ fired tom landry.......................................having lived in tennessee for 9 years, watching manning at ut (not the real UT, btw) i like the colts, and hes due

growing up in Denton, texas, 40 miles north of dallas, i loved the Cowboys. then the world came to an end when the anti-Christ fired tom landry.......................................having lived in tennessee for 9 years, watching manning at ut (not the real UT, btw) i like the colts, and hes due

U of Texas founded in 1883

UT (Tennessee) founded in 1794 became UT in 1879

U do the math. :p

Professional sports has become one of this nations biggest idols, it is a huge time vacuum that pulls daddys away from spending time with their families. But just as other Christian liberties, such as having an occational beer or glass of wine, it can be excercised in a way that is not sinful.

I am speaking from experience I have gotten so caught up with video games that I found that I was neglecting my duties as a father and a husband. So whether it be sports, video games or any other form of entertainment, we humans have a way to turn just about anything into an idol. Just like John Calvin has said human hearts are "idol factories".
:chained:

Here is a link to a article by Lane Keister that basically expresses the same concerns.

http://greenbaggins.wordpress.com/2005/10/31/sports/

I not trying to spoil anyones party, I just want to caution people to be wary of the amount of time spent on these kinds of activities.

Well said David.

My house will not be watching the Superbowl or any football that is on the Lord's day for that matter. In actuality we don't watch any sports or anything on TV for the simple fact that we choose to not subscribe to any channels whatsoever. This is not because we are in any way “holier” or more sanctified than others, but that we simply realize that we would be easily drawn to make idols as you (and Calvin) say.

I do follow football, but it is all through tracking it via internet on Monday.

I listen to hockey games on internet radio (unlike NFL and MLB who charge a fee, NHL is free!) or go to the actual games here at the RBC center. Plus the NHL schedules few games on Sundays for whatever reason.

So all that to say, your post is well received and appreciated. No superbowl parties in my house, just blessed fellowship at the church!

Praise God for His beloved bride!

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back