Superbowl Predictions!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by Irishcat922, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyFlynt

LadyFlynt Puritan Board Doctor

Ewww....it's all New England, is it? I might have to stay home from small group after all (sigh!)

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Puritan Board Junior

One of the unique things about the 4th Commandment is that it is not simply "Thou shalt not." (In King James English, the second person pronouns that begin with "th" are singular. The "y' ones are plural) To make a generalization it doesn't just say thou shalt not work, but also thou shalt not require someone else to work.

This means that you cannot get around the requirements of the 4th commandment by delay taping, or just reading about it in the Monday paper.

Though the looser understanding of the Continental Reformers allows for private recreation, recreational endavors that require others to work were not acceptable.

I used to watch whatever looked interesting on Sunday. As I came under conviction about my own practice, I moved to the Continental View and only watched videos or DVD's. (To provide the Sunday programming, at a minimum, someone has to be working in a control room.) Now the Puritans hold sway and the TV stays off.

3. Average Joey

Average Joey Puritan Board Junior

My SuperBowl prediction:

:scholar:The New York Jets are gonna win!!!!Whoohooooo!!!

4. blhowes

blhowes Puritan Board Professor

If you're a gambling man and your team wins, your longshot bet could pay off pretty handsomely.

5. Scott Bushey

Scott Bushey Puritan Board Doctor

Colleen,
    Refresh my memory>>>>Does your church hold to the same precepts as you in regards to the sabbaths time frame?

6. ReformedWretch

ReformedWretch Puritan Board Doctor

The Jets are my daughters favorite.

And my prediction now is;

Patriots: 38
    Eagles: 20

7. govols

govols Puritan Board Junior

John,

Do you walk to church? What if part of your car(s) was made on a Sunday. Or if something that you prepare at home (rolls, soup, etc.) was made on a Sunday. Packaging material. Cologne, deoderant, brush / combs, shoes, etc., etc., etc.

Unless you drive a foreign car I would say the car idea wouldn't fly b/c the unions wouldn't allow anyone to work on the weekends.

8. LadyFlynt

I believe so....pastor insists we prepare for worship the night before, I take that as a yes.

9. blhowes

John,
    Just wondering. In general, do you have any interest in football? If all the NFL games were played on Mondays and Saturdays, would you then have an interest in watching the Superbowl.

So, it'd be a sin if you ever read about the superbowl?

10. Scott Bushey

Scott Bushey Puritan Board Doctor

Here's my thoughts on the matter:
    Please check and confirm as you are under their care. If they celebrate the sabbath on the Lords day (Sunday sunrise to Monday sunrise), it is my belief that you would be obligated to keep it along with them. I don't believe one could substantiate keeping 'a' sabbath that would be different from when their church family kept it.....

11. LadyFlynt

Then that would need to be taken with the head of our small group and the eldership, yes? The small group is part of our church. I'll discuss it with hubby.

12. LadyFlynt

PS....Thank you...

13. jfschultz

To be honest, I really don't have much interest in football. I used to watch the Rose Bowl if Michigan was playing. (I got a BSE-EE from there in 1970.) The reason pro-sports is on Sunday is because they don't want to compete agaist College sports on Saturday.

To put your question in different terms that would apply to me. I like JAG and CSI. That wasn't too bad in watching too much TV untill they came out with CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, NCIS and even Medical Investigation. Cold Case and Crossing Jordan fall into the same style of program. But I don't watch them because they are on Sunday.

14. Me Died Blue

Me Died Blue Puritan Board Post-Graduate

This will be the very first Superbowl I will end up not watching ever since I knew what the Superbowl was. Even so, I'm sure I'll hear nothing but talk about it for a couple days afterwards!

15. Irishcat922

Irishcat922 Puritan Board Sophomore

I can only hope that somehow this game is blacked out in my area, not because of my strong sabbatarian convictions, but because these two teams, I can't stand. Go Cowboys!!:D

16. blhowes

:banana: Well, the day we've all been waiting for has finally arrived! :banana:

I'm a little surprised, but I may not be watching the superbowl this year, and probably won't tape it to watch it later. I wouldn't say its because of a change of convictions as much as it is a change in attitude and interest.

For a while, it was pretty exciting to turn on the TV during the week and hear them talking about the upcoming superbowl. With all the hipe and buildup for the game, I kept hearing the phrase "...this Sunday's superbowl..." and it just kept hitting me how unimportant the Lord's day has become in the world at large. The more they tried to build up the game, the more I started losing interest.

I'm glad the game starts around 6:30. That's the time that the evening worship service begins, so I'm forced to make a choice between watching the game and going to church and worshipping God. There is no choice, of course, but it did help me put things into perspective. The game seems so trivial compared to gathering to worship God.

Oh well, all I can say is GOOO PATRIOTS ... to church.

[Edited on 2-6-2005 by blhowes]

17. Authorised

Authorised Puritan Board Freshman

I have a prediction...one week later, no one will *****.

[Moderator: There are better ways of saying no one will care]

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by Dan....]

18. Authorised

Authorised Puritan Board Freshman

My way was the best.

:bigsmile:

19. jfschultz

:amen:

We had supper at church this evening. A little bit of bread and a small glass of (ugh) grape juice. Much more significant than 22 grown (?) men bashing each other over a ball!

20. govols

govols Puritan Board Junior

John,

Good for you. We are going to have a supper next week.

Man you missed a pretty good game. Saw most of the last half.

21. blhowes

Have you ever been to Boston after the Patriots won a Superbowl?

[​IMG]

[Edited on 2-7-2005 by blhowes]

22. tcalbrecht

tcalbrecht Puritan Board Junior

Does that mean you should not take a job that requires you to prepare for work before sunrise on Monday?

23. Average Joey

:scholar:I changed my mind about who will win.I think the New England Patriots will win by the score of 24 to 21.

24. lwadkins

lwadkins Puritan Board Junior

Wow! Good guess Joe!:lol:

25. blhowes

Amazing!, Simply Amazing! How'd he know???

26. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Wow! What a year for Boston sports fans. First, the Red Sox win the World Series. Next, the Patriots dynasty continues.

Is Boston the 'Hub' of the sports world right now, or what?

:banana::banana::banana:

27. Average Joey

I think it has to do with me really getting into those Benny Hinn books about faith.:D

28. blhowes

It all makes sense now. Thanks.

29. Average Joey

I just know that (according to Mr. Hinn) if it didn`t happen that way,I didn`t have enough faith.

30. Joseph Ringling

Joseph Ringling Puritan Board Freshman

Now if only my Celtics could get back to the top of the NBA.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.