Systematic Exposition of Book of Obadiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Other Name

Puritan Board Sophomore
Good afternoon all,

In a few months, I will be preaching from Obadiah to complement a pastor's expository preaching from Romans 9.

My approach to this is to:

• Start from the Hebrew interlinear and handwrite the text in a new choppy translation ignoring the "crimes" against English grammatical syntax but trying to read it as the author wrote it.
  • Compare this new overly literal translation with NASB, NKJV and ESV
  • Diagram the text by elementary school sentence diagramming technique
  • Underline and circle links in the grammar and syntax
  • Investigate and summarize historical and cultural background of the book and atlas.
  • Investigate my commentaries: (currently I own or have access to Calvin, Henry and Trapp)
  • Go through both Thompson chain references in my Thompson KJV and Thompson NASB and track categories and chains identified from Genesis to Revelation
  • Verse-by-verse: identify the indicative intended by the author and imperative reasonably discerned from each verse (or small block of verses as the case may be)
I prayerfully wrote this "to-do" list out for myself, and I felt really good about this being comprehensive, but I knew that there are experts in preparing for expository preaching here that I need to humbly submit for analysis/criticism and I am open to all of that including ideas and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

I have preached through Obadiah, and (with all due respect to John's judgment above) the dating of the book has never to my knowledge been agreed upon by any preponderance of scholars and exegetes regardless of stripe. Therefore, while the temporal setting (if you decide on one you think is more probable) could impact your interpretation, it should not be crucially determinative as to the task of teaching the content. I made my own guess and used it for my background consideration.

You should include a few more grammatical-technical commentaries, like Niehaus in the McComskey series, Timmer in the Tyndale series, and Block in the ZECOT series.

Sure. Van Gemeren's volume on the prophets and Palmer Robertson's are probably the two best, although the RTS introduction to the entire OT is also very helpful.

As I write down all these names to go Google, I am smiling and I knew this board would humble me from my first reaction of feeling good about my plan hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back