Systematic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though it's not on precisely the same topic, the portion of Brown's work you quoted reminds me of this passage from Calvin:

For in conducting the affairs of men, he so arranges the course of his providence, as daily to declare, by the clearest manifestations, that though all are in innumerable ways the partakers of his bounty, the righteous are the special objects of his favour, the wicked and profane the special objects of his severity. It is impossible to doubt his punishment of crimes; while at the same time he, in no unequivocal manner, declares that he is the protector, and even the avenger of innocence, by shedding blessings on the good, helping their necessities, soothing and solacing their griefs, relieving their sufferings, and in all ways providing for their safety. And though he often permits the guilty to exult for a time with impunity, and the innocent to be driven to and fro in adversity, nay, even to be wickedly and iniquitously oppressed, this ought not to produce any uncertainty as to the uniform justice of all his procedure. Nay, an opposite inference should be drawn. When any one crime calls forth visible manifestations of his anger, it must be because he hates all crimes; and, on the other hand, his leaving many crimes unpunished, only proves that there is a Judgment in reserve, when the punishment now delayed shall be inflicted. (Inst., 1.5.7)

Would that we truly saw all things through the lens of providence; and rather than having events cast doubt upon God's justice and providence, that they would drive us to an even greater praise of the way of his dealings.

-----Added 3/10/2009 at 02:30:27 EST-----

Post script:

I enjoy Brown very much; he may not be the most precise or rigorous systematician, but the above work exudes such a spirit of piety and worship in its composition that it cannot but drive you to want to experientially know the truths contained therein even half as well as its author. If you haven't read this before, Ben, I think you'll enjoy/be blessed by the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back