Systematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
While I've read many articles and excerpts from larger works on basically every part of systematic theology, I've never read one larger text in full dealing with systematics. Where would some of you recommend starting? The Institutes? Dabney's Systematic Theology? Hodge's? Something by Owen?

Introduction = Berkhoff's Systemtic Theology.
After that - Calvin's Institutes.
Then - Robert Reymond (if you like a spion on contemprioary issues as well)
Then Hodge.
Then - Dabney - deep and thoughtful.
Then Turretin.

You can sprinkle through there John Brown's, Wilhelm A'Brakel, William Ames, and Bavinck.

[Edited on 12-13-2004 by webmaster]

Read Grudem. Savor his arguments on spiritual gifts. Pray for the Holy Ghost to enlighten you. Respond in tongues. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

I will ad my:2cents: with everybody else and recommend Berkhof, especially on the Doctrine of God and Creation. I am on my second round with the Institutes. I have also dabbled in Shedd's. He can be tough, but he writes well. However, I don't know too many people who will go for his traducianism. He has a good defense of hell, though. I hope to get reymond for Christ-mass.

Unfortunately, I have a copy of Grudem's from back in the days when I planned on joining a Sovereign Grace church. I say "unfortunately" since I now wish I had the money for it to spend on a better one!

Did Reymond have charismatic leanings also? Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

Books...

Do you put them before the Holy Spirit who leads us in to all Truth, even things Jesus did not utter on earth?
John's Gospel.

Why search for info when all has been given? And is being given.I believe in the Holy Spirit that dwells inside all true Christians.

I just bought the New Intepreters Bible on CD? its a help, thats all...

I am on fire for Christianity because it is very important. Maybe I should stop posting because I see a Church that is not close to God.

I know my state. You don"t have to tell me.

David

Originally posted by just_grace
Do you put them before the Holy Spirit who leads us in to all Truth, even things Jesus did not utter on earth?
John's Gospel.

Why search for info when all has been given? And is being given.I believe in the Holy Spirit that dwells inside all true Christians.

I just bought the New Intepreters Bible on CD? its a help, thats all...

I am on fire for Christianity because it is very important. Maybe I should stop posting because I see a Church that is not close to God.

I know my state. You don"t have to tell me.

David

I am at a complete loss as to what you're trying to say, David.

David,

When is the last time the Holy Spirit taught you something outside of some sort of means (i.e., preaching, reading, a fellow brother/sister in Christ, etc.)?

I am not at a loss. An Eastern Orthodox acquaitance pesters me with this question all the time: "Why go to stale books when you can experience the Holy Spirit? Would you want to seek wisdom from infallible God or fallible men?

Originally posted by luvroftheWord
David,

When is the last time the Holy Spirit taught you something outside of some sort of means (i.e., preaching, reading, a fellow brother/sister in Christ, etc.)?

Or even Prayer? For you have to assume temporary infallibility of your mind as you process what the Holy Spirit puts on your soul. BTW, Craig, what do you think of Palmer Robertson's The Israel of God? I picked it up today from my church library. It looks interesting.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
I am not at a loss. An Eastern Orthodox acquaitance pesters me with this question all the time: "Why go to stale books when you can experience the Holy Spirit? Would you want to seek wisdom from infallible God or fallible men?

And this is a practical result of bad systematics. The rejection of the filioque doctrine practically leads to this.

After reading through the Bible, we look to the pastors and teachers that God has given the church. The Holy spirit told us this in Ephesians 4. To discount them is to reject the truth, and to reject the Holy Spirit's counsel to the church He is building up through sound teaching of the men he has given us to understand the bible.

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
Unfortunately, I have a copy of Grudem's from back in the days when I planned on joining a Sovereign Grace church. I say "unfortunately" since I now wish I had the money for it to spend on a better one!

Did Reymond have charismatic leanings also? Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

Chris

You must be thinking of somebody else. Dr Reymond is definately NOT charismatic.

He also takes the correct and biblical view of the 'Jerusalem Council' in Acts 15. :deadhorse: :bigsmile:

He is a visiting lecturer at the London Reformed Baptist Seminary which I attend, and as far as I am concerned that indicates his cessationist and non-charismatic position. The principal of the seminary would sooner die that have someone of the charismatic ilk to speak... :D

JH

Brother David,
When you said, "Do you put them before the Holy Spirit who leads us in to all Truth, even things Jesus did not utter on earth?"
...to which Bible verse were you referring?

For what it's worth, Reymond is not a Van-Tillian. His prolengomena follows after Clark. If this matters to someone then get Van Til's Introduction to Systematic Theology and read Reymond for the rest.

I like Dabney. I am slowly working my way through it. Does anyone know where I can find Buswell's Systematic Theology? I use to read out of it years ago. He seemed a little existential but I appreciated some of his insights.

Originally posted by ConfederateTheocrat
I am an idiot, forgive me, but did Augustine or anyone do something that would be considered Sytematic Theology. I am 16, forgive me.

I would think City of God would be close to a systematic although I am not familiar with all of his works.

Wouldn't Enchridion be a systematic of sorts? City of God would be more of a philosophical apologetic.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Wouldn't Enchridion be a systematic of sorts? City of God would be more of a philosophical apologetic.

Thanks for the clarification Fred. Yes, CoG is an apologetic to be sure. I did find that it covers many topics that a systematic does, although that is not its purpose/goal. Enchridion could be a better match for a systematic, but I've never read it and thus cannot comment.

Thanx guys for the response. I wish I knew where I could get a real nice and fancy hardback City of God (and Institutes of the Christian Religion for that matter).

Originally posted by Draught Horse
What tradition would the anonymous Theologica Germanicus fall in?

Mystic. And that would be Theologica Germanica (Latin agreement, gender, number case :scholar: )

[Edited on 12/14/2004 by fredtgreco]

Thanx guys for the response. I wish I knew where I could get a real nice and fancy hardback City of God (and Institutes of the Christian Religion for that matter).

For the Institutes, check out McNeill's two-volume hardback version of Battles' translation here.

Originally posted by Me Died Blue

For the Institutes, check out McNeill's two-volume hardback version of Battles' translation here.

Appreciate that! I might pick that up soon. :handshake:

Mark,
I implore you to start reading Calvin now and reread him and never stop reading him. Battles is the superior edition but Beveridge is easier on the pocketbook.

Here is good advice:

Pick one theologian and make him your life long hobby. Read him, study him, get as much as you can from him.

Oh, by the way, pick someone other than Calvin. Everybody has to pick Calvin, plus one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back