T4G: Who is going, and who are you looking forward to hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Rambo

Puritan Board Sophomore
I saw another thread about this, but it is closed. I was curious who was going, and if you are, who do you look forward to hearing from the most? Piper? Sproul?

Personally, Pipers message from T4G 08' was the one that hit me between the eyes, but this time, I am looking forward to the breakout session with Joshua Harris.

I think it would be neat for some of us to meet up. Maybe go have lunch: the Presbyterians can drink a beer, and us Baptists can stare at you, accusingly. :lol: (J/K, BTW)

A note: all of you seminarians out there (and just plain old college guys), the price for a full time student is just 99 bucks! Not bad, considering last time I believe I received somewhere around 250 dollars worth of books...

Damon, I plan of being there (already registered, and I live in Louisville!). There will be a few more PBers there as well. I look forward to meeting you all.

You are right about Piper. Sproul is always good, but I'd heard him many times before (and in person). I'd never heard Piper before, but he was quite excellent. I still remember his christological reference to Queen Esther as one who pleaded for her people at risk of her life.

Oh, as an a warning for all of you traveling to T4G: make sure to make plenty of space for the books you will bring back! The conference gives plenty away, plus there is an awesome bookstore at the conference. And for any interested, I will also take you to the local Christian bookstore which is quite good as well!

Are all the speakers Calvinistic? I went to Seminary with David Platt, one of the breakout speakers, but I didn't know he was a Calvinist. Either he became one after I left there or all the speakers are not Calvinistic. Does anyone know?

Lawrence, I hope you can go, as I would very much like to meet you.

John, it's essentially a Calvinistic conference. This is the first year they've had the breakout sessions I believe, but all of the main speakers are Calvinists. It was originally started by 4 friends (Dever, Duncan, Mahaney, Mohler) who wanted to emphasize the things that had in common as Christians -- namely the gospel and the Reformed faith. So the conference invites Presbyterian and Reformed Baptist brothers together to enjoy fellowship and learn from these great teachers (and others, like Sproul, Piper, MacArthur -- if that's your B-Team, you know it's going to be good! ;) ).

Are all the speakers Calvinistic? I went to Seminary with David Platt, one of the breakout speakers, but I didn't know he was a Calvinist. Either he became one after I left there or all the speakers are not Calvinistic. Does anyone know?

I love David Platt: have a couple of CD's from him. He is indeed a 5 pointer, as are all the speakers at the conference (to my knowledge: I do not know a couple of the breakout speakers).

Since I now live within driving distance, I'm hoping to head down for this. I'm also looking forward to the Gospel Coalition Canada Conference -- it's going to be held just a couple of blocks from where I live.

Since we live here in the same town as the conference, let us know if there's anything we can do to help those of y'all who plan to attend...

Since we live here in the same town as the conference, let us know if there's anything we can do to help those of y'all who plan to attend...

Just give me a cut at Starbucks every morning....

How about we treat you to one of our far better local roasters? :coffee:

Agreed. Heine Brothers is very good. And Sunergos (our personal favorite) is owned by two guys who attended Southern Seminary, and is located two doors down from simply the best Christian bookstore on the planet. Sungeros, btw, is the NT Greek word for "fellow workers."

Not going to be able to make T4G, but my wife and I are trying to make it to Ligonier's 2010 National Conference [Orlando] in June.

Theme: Tough Questions Christians Face

Speakers...

Alistair Begg: Is the Exclusivity of Christ Unjust?
Michael Horton: Is the Doctrine of Inerrancy Defensible?
Steven Lawson: Is the Bible Just Another Book?
Al Mohler: Why Does the Universe Look So Old?
Buck Parsons: Is Calvinism Good For the Church
John Piper: Why Did Jesus Have to Die? | Does the Doctrine of the Divine Decrees...
R.C. Sproul: What is Evil and Where Did It Come From? | Can We Enjoy Heaven Knowing of Loved Ones in Hell?
R.C Sproul Jr.: Why Do Christians Still Sin?
Derek Thomas: How Do We Know Which Interpretation is Right? | If God is Good, How Could He Command Holy War?

Of course if there are any PB members going we would love to meet up! :) Will probably bring this up in its own thread in a couple months...

Not going to be able to make T4G, but my wife and I are trying to make it to Ligonier's 2010 National Conference [Orlando] in June.

Theme: Tough Questions Christians Face

Speakers...

Alistair Begg: Is the Exclusivity of Christ Unjust?
Michael Horton: Is the Doctrine of Inerrancy Defensible?
Steven Lawson: Is the Bible Just Another Book?
Al Mohler: Why Does the Universe Look So Old?
Buck Parsons: Is Calvinism Good For the Church
John Piper: Why Did Jesus Have to Die? | Does the Doctrine of the Divine Decrees...
R.C. Sproul: What is Evil and Where Did It Come From? | Can We Enjoy Heaven Knowing of Loved Ones in Hell?
R.C Sproul Jr.: Why Do Christians Still Sin?
Derek Thomas: How Do We Know Which Interpretation is Right? | If God is Good, How Could He Command Holy War?

Of course if there are any PB members going we would love to meet up! :) Will probably bring this up in its own thread in a couple months...

I'd love to go to this one too. Excellent lineup of speakers!

Let me know if you can make it Ivan! Early [aka "cheaper"] registration ends Apr 2nd. Course you'd get a pastor discount too...I'm trying not to be jealous. :eek:

Let me know if you can make it Ivan! Early [aka "cheaper"] registration ends Apr 2nd. Course you'd get a pastor discount too...I'm trying not to be jealous. :eek:

No, I can't make it. All the time I have off in the next year is spoken for. Between T4G, family trips, and other various things I must do with my time off, I have't a day to spare.

And Sunergos (our personal favorite) is owned by two guys who attended Southern Seminary, and is located two doors down from simply the best Christian bookstore on the planet.

And which bookstore would that be?

The Book Nook on Preston

I don't recall that place. Is it really better than Southern's bookstore?

Great mix of used and new, plus all new titles are always 30% off and he custom-orders.

I'm definitely leaning towards going. I was there in 08 and it was phenomenal! My only trepidation this year is that I want to bring my wife and younglins. I just don't want them cooped up in the hotel all day every day while I'm in the sessions. Is Louisville a walkable, safe and family friendly area? I know when i had to work in NYC for 4 days, I brought my fam along and it worked out well. The main reason is because we stayed in Manhattan proper, and everything was in walking distance. I really want them there and would love for them to experience some of what Louisville has to offer. Is it a good idea? Is L'Ville similar to NYC in that my wife and children can easily find activities? We homeschool, so it would be a good trip for educational purposes too if we're able to find the right things......Suggestions?

As far as stuff near the convention center, you'd have the Slugger Museum, the Muhammed Ali Center, the school for the blind (a free tour of their museum and printing house), a glassworks with a tour for the public, Churchill Downs (often you can watch the morning exercises for just a few dollars, but the museum was damaged in last summer's flash flood), and more. We have a nice waterfront park area as well. I know there's stuff I'm forgetting, too.

I can't make it to this (although I sincerely wish I could). But, if anyone would pick me up some books there, I will be more than happy to compensate you for shipping as well as any transportation costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back