Taking a Reformed Vacation Through New England

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformedman

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm in New Jersey and I was thinking, since I have 3 weeks of vacation time available for this year and the kids are currently out of school, let me take an excursion somewhere I have never been. North, South or West? where do I go?

So I thought maybe go toward Edwards up to New England area, or maybe go down to Virginia toward Whitefield land. I am not much of a traveler and Geography is not my strong suit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small few day bed and breakfast quiet getaway, not too exciting, very quiet, preferably site-seeing without rollercoasters, and maybe some historic puritan places to visit (which is really my preference).

my wife and I have 3 kids 7,11,13. We would prefer to drive. less than about 8 hours away. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Whitefield died in the parsonage of Old South Presbyterian Church, Newburyport, Massachusetts, on September 30, 1770, and was buried in a crypt under the pulpit of this church. I was there just a couple weeks ago. It's pretty cool, but the owners of the house where he died have no clue about Whitefield's history with the place, or who the man was.

Princeton.

See the university, see the seminary, and be sure to see the cemetery.

Plus it's a short New Jersey drive.

If you're in New England be prepared to be shocked at how every single old Puritan church is Unitarian/Universalist!

Or the UCC (really no different), literally there must be a UCC church in every other town in New England.

You can visit the Plymouth Colony (with actors), Salem (capitalized on by Wiccans, no joke), and Revolutionary war sites.

One of these days, I want to go to Princeton then north to Northampton Conn. and Stockbridge, Mass. Boston's always worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back