Tarkvosky's "Stalker" - Christian Allegory

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hello all. Came across a film by someone named Andrei Tarkovsky called "Stalker." Excellent film. Doing a little research, it seems the directer was an Orthodox Christian, and it makes since, the film is Russian. Does anybody who has seen the film have any ideas about it, or what things they liked about. I really enjoyed it. Could this be considered a "Christian Allegory," as I felt much of the premise of the movie aligning with life as a believer.

edit: Upon research found this from a professor at Wheaton College - https://www.eastwestreport.org/articles/ew09310.htm

Last edited:
I’ve read Roadside Picnic, the novel it was based on, and didnt get any sense of Christian allegory.

I’ve read Roadside Picnic, the novel it was based on, and didnt get any sense of Christian allegory.
Dang, that is kind of crazy. I have been sick for the past two days with a fearsome stomach bug; even had to call into work and this is the first time I missed a shift since I started. But earlier I Googled "good sci-fi film," because I prefer that genre. And I knew I wasnt going to church today, because I would not want to spread this to someone else if by chance I am still contagious. It was not fun. Any hoot. I previously didnt know anything about this director, never heard of him, nor of this movie. But after I watched it, and this is just the first take, I see numerous allegories. Then, after doing research after the film, it was confirmed that he was both a devout Orthodox Christian, and this and other of his films have been written extensively about regarding their religious allegory. Besides the message, the film was beautifully shot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back