Teaching the Family about Dispensationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the historical context of dispensation goes, do most people, dispensationalists and non-dispensationalists, agree with what's written in the books mentioned that the theology itself was introduced sometime in the 1800's by the Brethren folks and then promoted by Darby, Scofield, etc?

(I guess dispensationalists would probably use the word "reintroduced" instead of "introduced")

Bob

[quote:a577349580][i:a577349580]Originally posted by blhowes[/i:a577349580]
As far as the historical context of dispensation goes, do most people, dispensationalists and non-dispensationalists, agree with what's written in the books mentioned that the theology itself was introduced sometime in the 1800's by the Brethren folks and then promoted by Darby, Scofield, etc?

(I guess dispensationalists would probably use the word "reintroduced" instead of "introduced")

Bob [/quote:a577349580]

Formally introduced and systematized, yes. Have there been folks throughout history who've had similar thought to dispensationalists ? Yes. Ryrie's book (Dispensationalism, 1994 edition) gives a good overview of some of them. I'd recommend picking his book up (simply for reference purposes). I don't agree with much of it anymore :D But, he being on of the key players in dispensationalism, it's good to have his work as one of the authoritative works on the subject.

It's always good to represent what others teach accurately. God isn't glorified in untruth and misrepresentations - even when representing viewpoints which are unbiblical. Truth is quite capable of standing on its' own.

I still wonder sometimes how I missed the 'ONE' people of God in Romans 11 for classic and revised dispensationalism's 'two peoples of God'.

[b:e7e72b6b01]Kerry wrote:[/b:e7e72b6b01]
It's always good to represent what others teach accurately. God isn't glorified in untruth and misrepresentations - even when representing viewpoints which are unbiblical. Truth is quite capable of standing on its' own.

For sure. What a waste of time it would be to tell somebody that I don't believe x, y, and z about what they teach, only for them to say, "That's not what we teach".

Bob

[quote:4508657778][i:4508657778]Originally posted by blhowes[/i:4508657778]
[b:4508657778]Kerry wrote:[/b:4508657778]

For sure. What a waste of time it would be to tell somebody that I don't believe x, y, and z about what they teach, only for them to say, "That's not what we teach".

Bob [/quote:4508657778]

:handshake:

I'm glad we agree here. I have this same problem with non-Calvinists as well when discussing the doctrines of Grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back