Telemarketers can now Call Your Cell Phones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
My SIL sent this to me tonight:

JUST A REMINDER ... 4 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:

888-382-1222

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

GO TO: www.donotcall.gov

I hope they do so they wrack up huge international calling charges and put themselves out of business!

just to reiterate:

What Can I Do to Prevent SPAM to My Wireless Device in Particular and SPAM in General

You can reduce the amount of SPAM you receive by doing the following:

* Put your wireless phone number on the Do-Not-Call Registry, and distribute it sparingly.

* Don’t display your wireless phone number or e-mail address in public. This includes newsgroups, chat rooms, Web sites, or membership directories.

from here

Last edited:
:doh: :banghead:

Oh well. At least according to the one article, it didn't hurt anything to put our phones on the list. I guess I assumed the .gov website had to be legit. So much for assumptions!

Thanks for the information.

Figures, I never receive actual emails from family members, so what do I expect from a forward.

My household does not have a land line, we exclusively use mobile phones. The benefit is we never have to deal with Telemarketers. I often wondered why they don’t call cell phones, but when I read this I thought it must be true.

Regardless it does not hurt to add any of your numbers to the do not call list. One of our friends said she did it over a year ago with her mobile phone despite never getting such an email.

My daughter got her cell phone right after Christmas, and the first week she had her phone she already HAD telemarketers calling her number...She hadn't even given her number to many of her friends at that point.

So yes, they can get your cell number and they can call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back