Ten indictments against the modern church

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvdm

Puritan Board Junior
Latest message by Paul Washer. 2 hours long, but very worthwhile.

[video=youtube;X7wzfvYkCW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7wzfvYkCW0[/video]

"The church ought to be seeker friendly, but the church ought to recognize that there is only one seeker -- his name is God, and if you want to be friendly to someone, if you want to accommodate someone, accommodate him and his glory; whether it is rejected by everyone else, we are not called to build empires, we are not called to be accepted, we are called to glorify God."

I don't know too much about this guy, but I thought that was one of the best quotes I've heard from a modern preacher in a long time. Props for that.

Ten Indictments Against the Modern Church in America (Paul Washer)

1. A practical denial of the sufficiency of Scripture
2. An ignorance of God
3. A failure to address man's malady
4. An ignorance of the gospel of Jesus Christ
5. An ignorance of the doctrine of regeneration
6. An unbiblical gospel invitation
7. Ignorance regarding the nature of the Church
8. A lack of loving and compassionate Church discipline
9. Psychology and sociology have replaced the Scriptures with regard to the family
10. The Emergent Church , Church growth, and cultural sensitivity

"All this Emergent Church stuff, much of the Church Growth stuff, all of the cultural sensitivity, throwing out the window biblical sensitivity, it is just a bunch of little boys wanting to play church without the power of God on their life. And I will stand on that statement." Paul Washer

What did he say about 7 and 10?

He is not advocating being needlessly culturally insensitive is he? Sometimes when people react against unbiblical trends the listeners want to err in the other direction, is he balanced in his critique?

2. An ignorance of God
9. Psychology and sociology have replaced the Scriptures with regard to the family

"All this Emergent Church stuff, much of the Church Growth stuff, all of the cultural sensitivity, throwing out the window biblical sensitivity, it is just a bunch of little boys wanting to play church without the power of God on their life. And I will stand on that statement." Paul Washer

Appreciate the summary - thanks!

2. An ignorance of God

Are you attending my church? We have all 10. I had Deut 6:4-9 posted above the main entryway in the hopes of encouraging conversation about God and his word instead of the usual trivialities that people talk about. Didn't work.

He is not advocating being needlessly culturally insensitive is he? Sometimes when people react against unbiblical trends the listeners want to err in the other direction, is he balanced in his critique?

No, he is not advocating being "needlessly" culturally insensitive.

No, he is not "unbalanced", since he is critiquing particular unbiblical practices in the light of scripture.

And I'm not sure how one "errs" in direction if he is heading in the opposite path of unbiblical practices.

No, he is not advocating being "needlessly" culturally insensitive.

No, he is not "unbalanced", since he is critiquing particular unbiblical practices in the light of scripture.

And I'm not sure how one "errs" in direction if he is heading in the opposite path of unbiblical practices.

Just checking...

I once heard a Fundy missionary speak against cultural sensitivity and how you just needed to preach the Word. Then I saw a photo of him amidst tribal peoples in a tropical environment doing outdoor preaching (Africa) and he had a 3 piece suit on, tie and black leather shoes, and was conspicously dressed different from others.

I also actually heard a minister speak against American abortions and pass out pamphlets of dead babies from abortion here in the jungle and also another pamphlet on prayer in schools - totally out of context (fighting Western battles among folks that think my village is called "America" and maybe has a few hundred people).

One "errs" in being too culturally sensitive at the expense of the Gospel; one also errs in not considering culture at all.

P.s. I am not saying he does do this, but merely asking if he does this. I am loading it up now....

Yes, I've listened to him before and it was very good.

However, during that time he mentioned the "cultural relevancy" issue in one sermon I heard, but did not expand upon it and only mentioned it in the negative and in passing and did not develop his fuller thoughts, leaving me worried that it was not a balanced critique. But, generally, when he has time to develop his thoughts and not merely mention things for rhetorical effect, I agree very much...as I am finding myself agreesing very much now.

Mr. Washer’s concerns could be addressed very easily if there was true Biblical and Confessional reform. That is reforming back to the Bible and reforming and teaching people what the Confessions and Catechism teach. My concern is that Mr. Washer will get people on an emotional trip not balanced with solid Biblically reforming Christian piety. It’s easy to say we have this indictment against the church; but where is the guidance after the indictment is made? If this is true of the modern church, what is the standard in which the church is to conduct itself? Moreover, it’s very easy to critique the church and to point out all of the deficiencies within evangelicalism; but this should not be the object of the church at larger to critique the church. Alternatively, maybe the approach should be instead of pointing out the error of the modern church, the church should be pointing folks to the history of the Christian church and what the church has historically held as Christian piety from a Confessional base.

The answer to Mr. Washer's concerns can be addressed by reforming back to God's word and practicing Confessional Christianity. I believe he’s making the case to reform back to God’s word which is great! I’m encouraged to hear this. However, the church must confess what we believe and why we believe it. Therefore, the true need is to reform back to Biblical Confessionalism.

The answer to Mr. Washer's concerns can be addressed by reforming back to God's word and practicing Confessional Christianity. I believe he’s making the case to reform back to God’s word which is great! I’m encouraged to hear this. However, the church must confess what we believe and why we believe it. Therefore, the true need is to reform back to Biblical Confessionalism.

I agree brother, but Washer is addressing first things first. The first step in the direction of a vital confessionalism is to first repent of our sin. But today, the North American church does not even see that what they are doing is an abomination. They've traded their birthright for a mess of sewage.

Remember too, that even confessional churches have bought into this deception. The CRC is ostensibly confessional, but the spiritual reality is that it is no different than any run of the mill Willowcreek church. What good is their confession if they don't BELIEVE it?

The idol must be absolutely destroyed first.

Mr. Washer’s concerns could be addressed very easily if there was true Biblical and Confessional reform. That is reforming back to the Bible and reforming and teaching people what the Confessions and Catechism teach. My concern is that Mr. Washer will get people on an emotional trip not balanced with solid Biblically reforming Christian piety. It’s easy to say we have this indictment against the church; but where is the guidance after the indictment is made? If this is true of the modern church, what is the standard in which the church is to conduct itself? Moreover, it’s very easy to critique the church and to point out all of the deficiencies within evangelicalism; but this should not be the object of the church at larger to critique the church. Alternatively, maybe the approach should be instead of pointing out the error of the modern church, the church should be pointing folks to the history of the Christian church and what the church has historically held as Christian piety from a Confessional base.

His church holds to a confession of faith and they practice it - isn't that confessional Christianity?

I wonder if there's a transcript for this, we Chinese Christians definitely need this kind of message.

"Sunday morning is the greatest hour of idolatry in the entire week of America, because people are not worshipping the one true God... but are worshipping a god formed out of their own heart, by their own flesh, satanic devices and worldly intelligence; the've made a god just like themselves and he looks more like Santa Clause than Yahweh. There can be no fear of God among us, because there is no knowledge of the Lord among us."

Heh, that'll get him a spot on TBN.

Great sermon! Thanks!

Wanna see a great fundy review of Washer? Check this out. It'll definitely make you want to hear more of Washer. Talk about abusing Scripture, check out his last statement.

Wanna see a great fundy review of Washer? Check this out. It'll definitely make you want to hear more of Washer. Talk about abusing Scripture, check out his last statement.

Not only that, do you see the silhouette at the bottom? It's Billy Sunday callin' down damnation. Woohoo.

This is the same 'Jesus-is-lord' site that was the source of some really apikorsiche stuff the other day.

I checked out the link you provided and was smacked in the face by my lack of understanding of how wacked out crazy some Christians can get. :eek:

Reminds me of a clock that used to hang in my Papa's house. Every quarter hour it would have this little bird come out and sing, 'Cookoo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back