Ten indictments against the modern church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Washer brainwashes a group of 5,000 youths to believe that they can't be saved without literally turning from their sins. Notice the Rock 'N' Roll drums in the background on the video... what about the evils of Christian Rock Mr. Washer?

WOW! Is this site really for real or a Jack Chick parody or something?

Condemn a man for preaching repentance and then tell him the real message ought to be against drums?

WOW again, that sermon was great....a good one for Reformation Day

(a modern 95 theses for the current church feces)...

Mr. Washer brainwashes a group of 5,000 youths to believe that they can't be saved without literally turning from their sins. Notice the Rock 'N' Roll drums in the background on the video... what about the evils of Christian Rock Mr. Washer?

WOW! Is this site really for real or a Jack Chick parody or something?

Condemn a man for preaching repentance and then tell him the real message ought to be against drums?

Wow. If he thinks the SBC is apostate, what does he think of the Presbyterians? :lol:

Ten Indictments Against the Modern Church in America (Paul Washer)

1. A practical denial of the sufficiency of Scripture
2. An ignorance of God
3. A failure to address man's malady
4. An ignorance of the gospel of Jesus Christ
5. An ignorance of the doctrine of regeneration
6. An unbiblical gospel invitation
7. Ignorance regarding the nature of the Church
8. A lack of loving and compassionate Church discipline
9. Psychology and sociology have replaced the Scriptures with regard to the family
10. The Emergent Church , Church growth, and cultural sensitivity

"All this Emergent Church stuff, much of the Church Growth stuff, all of the cultural sensitivity, throwing out the window biblical sensitivity, it is just a bunch of little boys wanting to play church without the power of God on their life. And I will stand on that statement." Paul Washer

Appreciate the summary - thanks!

:ditto:

I have a theological question to ask :

in his sermon Paul Washer says:

I was in German a while back or in a Germanic seminary in Europe a while back and this
book The Cross of Christ, now it wasn't John Stott's book, it was another. I pulled it off
and began to read it and this is what it said. "The Father looked down from heaven at the
suffering inflicted upon his Son by the hands of men and counted that as payment for our
sin."

That is heresy.

end of quote

Could you analyze for me why he says this statement is heresy?

Thank you for your help.

Because the amount of suffering Christ went through isn't what saved us. Pastor Washer went on to explain this in the sermon and what does save us. Did you hear that part?

Because the amount of suffering Christ went through isn't what saved us. Pastor Washer went on to explain this in the sermon and what does save us. Did you hear that part?

Thanks.

Could I understand that it is not the suffering that saved, but Christ's
death ?

Mr. Washer’s concerns could be addressed very easily if there was true Biblical and Confessional reform. That is reforming back to the Bible and reforming and teaching people what the Confessions and Catechism teach. My concern is that Mr. Washer will get people on an emotional trip not balanced with solid Biblically reforming Christian piety. It’s easy to say we have this indictment against the church; but where is the guidance after the indictment is made? If this is true of the modern church, what is the standard in which the church is to conduct itself? Moreover, it’s very easy to critique the church and to point out all of the deficiencies within evangelicalism; but this should not be the object of the church at larger to critique the church. Alternatively, maybe the approach should be instead of pointing out the error of the modern church, the church should be pointing folks to the history of the Christian church and what the church has historically held as Christian piety from a Confessional base.

The answer to Mr. Washer's concerns can be addressed by reforming back to God's word and practicing Confessional Christianity. I believe he’s making the case to reform back to God’s word which is great! I’m encouraged to hear this. However, the church must confess what we believe and why we believe it. Therefore, the true need is to reform back to Biblical Confessionalism.

His church holds to a confession of faith and they practice it - isn't that confessional Christianity?

What I'm advocating is a return to the confessions that already exist, e.g., Westminster Standards and The Three forms of Unity, etc.

My sense is that you have to get them to where they realize they are off track biblically before you can point them to adopting a confession of faith. I think Washer is totally right to hit on issues where the evangelical church has abandoned biblical principles.

I had posted on another thread, that I, as others I know, believe we are in the Great Apostosy...or Falling Away. Have been for sometime.

What is the purpose of the church? To scratch itching ears...feed into people's need for Self-help? Lot's of Mammon in that business.

So much gloom and doom.

The Gospel is spreading to other parts of the world, like Asia, even while it dies here. Read Philip Jenkin's "The Next Christendom: The Rise of Global Christianity."

Psalm 72 is correct, Jesus shall reign where'r the sun in its successive journeys run...

I had posted on another thread, that I, as others I know, believe we are in the Great Apostosy...or Falling Away. Have been for sometime.

What is the purpose of the church? To scratch itching ears...feed into people's need for Self-help? Lot's of Mammon in that business.

We may well be in the falling away. But your comments on the church are reminiscent of Harold Camping! The Bible has other ideas about the "purpose of the church."

As a non-American Christian, I'd like to know if this sermon brought some impact
on the churches in America ( both reformed and others).

As a non-American Christian, I'd like to know if this sermon brought some impact
on the churches in America ( both reformed and others).

For those who listened to the sermon I believe it discussed some sobering things to meditate on. I don't think it affected the church corporately but the sermon does have an impact on those who listen to it individually.

Does anyone know who Pastor Washer is addressing? Is it a congregation or is he speaking to other pastors?

duncan001;

As a non-American Christian, I'd like to know if this sermon brought some impact on the churches in America ( both reformed and others).

I'm not sure what group he is speaking to, but I'd venture to say MOST Christians in America have NEVER heard this sermon..

So I will be sending it out to some of my friends so that they can listen to it, and they in turn MIGHT be compelled to send it out to others as well..

Does anyone know who Pastor Washer is addressing? Is it a congregation or is he speaking to other pastors?

It seems like when I watched the video I had the impression that women were in the congregation, so I thought that he was preaching to a church, not a group of pastors.

Thanks.

Could I understand that it is not the suffering that saved, but Christ's
death ?

I just reread that portion. The point Washer is making is not so much between Christ's physical pain and His death, but between the suffering inflicted by the Romans (pain and death) and His becoming sin for us, being cursed and crushed by God. He says that God did not turn away because he could not bear to see his Son suffer, but because Christ became sin for us, and God cannot bear to look on sin. We are saved not just because Jesus suffered pain and death under Pilate but because God's wrath was poured out upon Him.

I watched recently watched it after seeing the positive reviews here. I did benefit from it, but I was surprised at his passing critique of paedobaptism. I think he called it the "sacred cow of the Reformation".

Paul was speaking at the Revival Conference in Atlanta. These conferences are a ministry of Sermon Index (SermonIndex.net audio sermons) They held one in 2007 and there is one next week in Greenock Scotland.

Paul is not a pastor but a missionary. He was on the field in Peru for ten years before starting the Heart Cry Missionary Society which he leads. It is under the authority of the elders in his home church--Grace Life Church of the Shoals in Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back