Term limits for deacons

Deacons at my reformed church serve:

• For a predetermined length of time (e.g., three years)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Until the Lord returns or they resign (or are removed)

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Our church has no deacons

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebrexan

Puritan Board Freshman
I've found several threads dealing with term limits for elders and deacons, but no polls to provide an idea of how common they are.

yeah love them or hate them god put them in office......... on that note how many people leave a church because a deacon was put in. saying i never go to that church again if they put in those kind of deacons.

on that note how many people leave a church because a deacon was put in. saying i never go to that church again if they put in those kind of deacons.

If the congregation elects a morally unqualified man to the diaconate, it may tell you a lot about that church and its leadership. Leaving may well be an appropriate action.

Edward, my intention is not to derail the thread, but I read a post last week where you were saying that absent heresy one shouldn't leave a church, without a better place to go. I'm kind of confused on why this may be reason and not worshipping God in ways He has not commanded. Clarification would help me understand.

I think what Edward was saying, is don't leave the only church option one has to nothing, unless it is heretical or I would add, unless you are being forced to sin. If there are options the picture changes considerably.

We don't have a permanent building, so the deacon work is consistently difficult on the deacons, since we have to set up and take down every Sunday. We work three years and then roll off for one year.

Edward, my intention is not to derail the thread, but I read a post last week where you were saying that absent heresy one shouldn't leave a church, without a better place to go. I'm kind of confused on why this may be reason and not worshipping God in ways He has not commanded. Clarification would help me understand.

First, my apologies for derailing the thread.

I don't see my two statements as inconsistent, but do concede that I may have been less clear.

The starting point, of course, would be, " The purest Churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated, as to become no Churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan"

If it is a synagogue of Satan, you should leave, even if there is nothing better available. Absent that, you shouldn't leave unless there is something better available, since where you end up is also going to have error. (A restatement, I hope, of my older post). Now, if they are electing men that have grave moral shortcomings, you need to ask 'why'. And the answer to that 'why' may well lead you to a point where you see that it is appropriate to leave for something better. (A restatement, I hope, of my earlier post.)

I hope that this clarifies things. And I'm a bit flattered that you recall my earlier post.

Now that I've created a bit of a rabbit trail, let me get back to the subject of this thread.

Our church recognizes that ordination to the diaconate is until resignation or removal, but a term on the active diaconate is four years from ordination. the active diaconate attends the meetings and votes when called upon to do so. Those not presently installed are still expected to engage in their diaconal duties and serve within the church. If called back to the active diaconate, one is re-installed, and usually serves a shortened one or two year term instead of a full four years. I served a full term, rotated off for a couple of years, served another two years, rotated off again for a year, and am presently serving a one year term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back