Terms for act of Salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
At my church (not reformed), there are a few different terms for the action of salvation. I have heard objections and/or have objections to all of them, but I was wondering which would be more blasphemous and which more Biblical:

The one I hear the most is "ask Jesus into your heart."

My pastor formerly used this one the most, although not as much anymore "let Jesus be the Lord of your life." I think this term is acceptable, although some such as Paul Washer disagree with it.

In literature for a specific children's program, it says "ask Jesus to be your best friend." I haven't heard this except when reading from the literature or videos and such from it, but it seems much too casual and almost insulting to me.

I also heard a youth pastor at my church say something like "You can ask Jesus to be your Lord, to become a Christian, to ask Him into your heart, whatever. All that matters is that you ask it sincerely and He will." Is this the right attitude to have?

Thanks!

You can't make Jesus Christ anything. You can't make Him Lord, He is Lord regardless. All of the above statements are the sinner's initiative. That's not how salvation happens. Salvation is of the Lord.

WHAT you ask matters. Sincerity is vital, but misplaced if you ask the wrong things.

I don't really like any of those expressions. I would personally use the phrase 'Ask the Lord Jesus Christ (use His full and proper name) to SAVE you from your sin'

Mark 1:15 "(Jesus) saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

As Pastor Ivan already mentioned, you can't make Jesus anything. The sinner's initiative is to repent, as is what Jesus Himself preached.

Probably the vast majority of churches use "decisionist" terms like these because they can't see past the "sinners prayer" mentality. The church in the western world is steeped in this decisionism, and it is very unhealthy, often producing false converts. Thats not to say people aren't saved as a result of the preaching from these churches... but I believe God saves them in spite of the method, not because of it. God's elect WILL be saved, and the glory will be His.

I agree with Jonathan's phrasing. Once you believe and are willing to change, pray that God will save you from your sin. A sinners prayer of sorts is fine as a secondary thing once you already believe, but not as something to look back on to ensure your salvation even when your life shows no evidence of God's work.

I think "asking Jesus into your heart" is one of those phrases people use without really thinking about it. It is not a biblical phrase and has probably grown out of well meaning but defective evangelistic techniques. I haven't really heard many pastors use the phrase but more church members who are doing door to door evangelism or witnessing at work. It also seems to be more common amongst those who work with children.

Jesus commands people to repent. You are under obligation to repent and believe. I would not go into the mechanices of election, the Holy spirit's role in regeneration etc

Walt Chantry's excellent little book "Todays Gospel-Authentic or Synthetic?" addresses this type of thing and is well worth a read if it is still in print.

Just today I was reading an excerpt from a John Newton letter where he says:-

"When I was young, I was sure of many things. But now that I am old, there are only two things which I am sure of: One is that I am a miserable sinner! Secondly, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour!

He is well taught who learns these two lessons."This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance: 'Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners' and I am the worst of them!" 1 Tim 1:15"

If people get to the stage of recognising these two things then the Holy Spirit would have led them thus far and people will know in their own hearts and minds what they must do.

Last edited:
In literature for a specific children's program, it says "ask Jesus to be your best friend." I haven't heard this except when reading from the literature or videos and such from it, but it seems much too casual and almost insulting to me.

A child could say, "I already have a best friend. Why do I need Jesus to be my best friend?"

What does the saying "Ask Jesus to be your best friend" have to do with salvation?

Total agrrement with Ivan's earlier statement on this issue: "You can't make Jesus Christ anything. You can't make Him Lord, He is Lord regardless.

When I was a pastor for over forty years, this was one of one my continual themes (because in our Denomination the appeal from many pulpits would often be worded this way, "Please MAKE Jesus your Lord!")

However, this is not scriptural. The message from the Scriptures in Acts 2:36 clearly reads, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."

If we could "make" Him our Lord, then why could we not also "unmake" Him our Lord? And, in my opinion, this is one of the snares of the Arminian theology. God the Father has already made His Son both Lord and Christ. Our response is to surrender to Him through repentance, receiving our new regenerated heart from Him and from Him only through His work on the Cross. Isn't the Gospel glorious? He is Lord!! Soli Deo Gloria!

Last edited:
These phrases seem to reflect a mindset so focused on the individual's decision that it misses the One who truly decides whom he will effectually call. We must turn our attention to telling his Gospel, trusting the Spirit to do his work in listeners' hearts. When this happens, a proper response will follow and it really won't matter much what we call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back