Thanksgiving menu items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
It's always interesting to hear what people do for Thanksgiving dinner.... so what are you having?

We're doing a pretty normal dinner, with turkey, cornbread/sausage stuffing, freshly made cranberry/orange relish, salad, beans and honey-wheat rolls. (not to mention a nice chardonnay) Nothing exotic (though the cornbread & sausage stuffing is positively exquisite). How bout you?
-----Added 11/26/2008 at 06:48:18 EST-----
...and get a load of this salad- I wish we were doing it, but didn't have time to get the necessary ingredients.

croutons600.jpg

(from the New York Times) Sweet potatoes contrast beautifully here with the pungent Stilton. Other cheeses that work for this salad are goat cheese and feta.

For the salad:

1 large sweet potato (10 to 12 ounces), peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 6-ounce bag baby salad greens

1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, parsley, chervil, chives

2 ounces Stilton or blue cheese, crumbled or cut into small pieces (about 1/2 cup)

For the dressing:

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 small garlic clove, minced

Salt and freshly ground pepper

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup buttermilk

1. Steam the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes, until just tender. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.

2. In a medium, nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, shaking the pan and moving the pieces around often, until evenly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.

3. Whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt pepper, olive oil and buttermilk.

4. Place the salad greens in a salad bowl and top with the cheese. Toss with the dressing. Sprinkle on the sweet potato croutons and serve.

Yield: Serves 4

Advance preparation: You can steam the sweet potatoes and make the dressing several hours ahead.

We are having a standing rib roast, baked potatos, salad, fried okra, crescent rolls, apple pie and cherry pie. My family doesn't do turkey or stuffing. I love it, the rest hate it. I have to wait until I visit a friend on Saturday to get a more traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Usually we do a ham, but that is getting old. We will have some sangria and for the kiddos, sparkling white and red grape juice.

Roast turkey with sage dressing & gravy
cranberry sauce
mashed potatoes
mashed turnips
candied yams
green beans almondine
corn pudding
sour dough biscuits
pumpkin and shoe-fly pie

We'll be eating the leftovers for a week.

slow roasted turkey
homemade giblet gravy
homemade stuffing
asparagus tips
green chile souffle
potatoes au gratin
pecan pie
(non-alcoholic) champagne

Last edited:
I'm alone so I roasted a turkey breast
mashed potato
cranberries
wild rice stuffing
yams
pumpkin pie
gran marnier

Well, this is the ultimate sweet potato casserole recipe and I've made it for many years and everyone I've given it to then makes it a standard part of their Thanksgiving also!

I always make it doubled but this is the original recipe from the old heritage of Montgomery, Texas.

1 # 2 1/2 can Sweet Potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk(or juice from sweet potatoes)
2 well beaten eggs
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick margarine
Mix all together weell and bake in shallow baking dish for 30 min @ 350 degrees

While baking mix together..........
2 cups crushed Corn Flakes
1 cup chopped pecans
1 stick margarine(I use less)
sprinkle lightly with nutmeg
Spread over top of casserole and return to oven for 10 minutes.

Mine is baking as we speak as I will be taking it to my son's house in the morning. I'll put the topping on it and finish baking it before I go there.
This is the perfect addition to the standard Thanksgiving Dinner! Everyone loves it and ask to take some of it home with them.

Very yummy!

Turkey with cornbread stuffing
Giblet gravy
Cranberry sauce
Plum conserve
Butternut squash
Brussels sprouts
Pinot Noir

Cherry pie ... courtesy of the PTO at the school where I'm subbing.

Last edited:
Roasted Turkey (I do fast roasting at 500*)
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Sweet potatoes w/apples
Sage Dressing
Green beans
Cheesy broccoli & rice casserole
Lettuce salad
Cranberry sauce
Dinner rolls

dessert is apple pie & pumpkin pie w/fresh whipped cream, turkey cookies (made by the kids), coffee, tea, etc.

This is our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The only difference is that this year the cooking will be spread between two families. We're meeting with another homeschooling family in which the wife is American; in Canada, Thanksgiving comes in October.

Roast turkey, dressing, turkey gravy, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green beans with bacon, spinach salad with poppy seed dressing, waldorf salad, cranberry apple-cider relish, spiced peaches, whole wheat buns, homemade apple butter, homemade cherry jam, cranberry candy, pecan pie with sweetened whipped cream, homemade eggnog and fresh-pressed apple cider.

There will be no leftovers.

Unfortunately, we have to wait until Saturday - companies tend not to give American holidays here, not sure why...

Last edited:
We are having a standing rib roast, baked potatos, salad, fried okra, crescent rolls, apple pie and cherry pie. My family doesn't do turkey or stuffing. I love it, the rest hate it. I have to wait until I visit a friend on Saturday to get a more traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Usually we do a ham, but that is getting old. We will have some sangria and for the kiddos, sparkling white and red grape juice.

Is Brad American? :lol:

How can you NOT like Turkey?!?

It's like not likin' football!

well there won't be any football tomorrow... both NFL games and the college game are liable to be one-sided affairs

Stuffed Turkey, Basted! (No bake in bag!) Stuffed with traditional stuffin'.
Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Homemade Turkey Gravy
Brown-n-Serve rolls with Lot's of real butter!
Maybe sweet potates
Pumkin Pie or Apple Strussel Bisquick coffee cake

and to nibble on while the above is cooking,

Homemade Pimento Cheese
Sharp Cheese Ball
Fresh Mozzerella Cheese
Club Crackers
Pickled Beets

And Lots of Columbian Coffee, Milk, and Juice.

Tonight, the night before, Tostino's Pizza's!

I made wild rice stuffing with a small sauteed yellow onion and celery and chestnuts and added the turkey juice and porcini mushroom powder and salt. Pretty good!

We will be joining another family. We will be bringing some of the following. We cooked all of this prior to knowing we will be combining resources.

Roast Turkey
Smoked wild Turkey
Smoked mallards and a canvas back
Corn bread dressing
A medley of flat beans, wax beans and pole beans simmered for hours in fat back and bacon
Sweet potatoes
Cranberries - home canned
Dirty rice
English peas and Irish potatoes
Pecan pie (with Wild Turkey101)
Pickled beets and eggs
Pickled walnuts
and a few other things

Turkey, stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cornbread, cranberry & cherry sauce, pumpkin pie, apple pie, eggnog, and tea. Might toast some marshmallows and pop some popcorn as well.

I'm so American that I had my fill of turkey as a kid, 'til it came out of my ears... and it never was cooked very well - always dry. (Mindy says I have to say it wasn't her cooking) I like it on rare occasions when it is cooked in a way that it stays juicy, but not enough to want it for a feast day. My kids won't eat much of it if at all, so we'd end up with endless leftovers that nobody reallly wants. So my Americanness is displayed in my being a selfish skinflint. :lol:

Now, leftover prime rib is a different story - it'll get consumed quickly. I may have to stand gaurd at the fridge to keep it from disappearing too fast. I love my kids, but when it comes to leftover prime rib, they're just a bunch of snarling jackals circling the kitchen waiting for their victim (me) to fall off to sleep. It'll be dangerous duty, but it's for a good cause... Prime Rib!

Take your turkey broth, put it in a large pot, fill the rest with water (maybe a chicken flavored boyon cube or two if you've got them), bring to a boil and add a bag of noodles (two bags for a lot of people). Cook for 10 minutes (longer depending on how thick or thin the noodles are). Stir frequently as it cooks so they do not stick together or to the bottom of the pot.

I love these! You can do the same with beef, ham, or chicken broth.

Brad, I got a young turkey breast - maybe if she's willing, you can let her get one next year as well as the main dish and she can have her turkey and the rest of you can have - Prime Rib on Thanksgiving?!? Okay.

I'm so American that I had my fill of turkey as a kid, 'til it came out of my ears... and it never was cooked very well - always dry. (Mindy says I have to say it wasn't her cooking) I like it on rare occasions when it is cooked in a way that it stays juicy, but not enough to want it for a feast day. My kids won't eat much of it if at all, so we'd end up with endless leftovers that nobody reallly wants. So my Americanness is displayed in my being a selfish skinflint. :lol:

Now, leftover prime rib is a different story - it'll get consumed quickly. I may have to stand gaurd at the fridge to keep it from disappearing too fast. I love my kids, but when it comes to leftover prime rib, they're just a bunch of snarling jackals circling the kitchen waiting for their victim (me) to fall off to sleep. It'll be dangerous duty, but it's for a good cause... Prime Rib!

Sorry, Brad. I maintain that not having turkey on Thanksgiving is unAmerican. You should have to sit the corner and eat borscht. :p

Sorry, Brad. I maintain that not having turkey on Thanksgiving is unAmerican. You should have to sit the corner and eat borscht. :p
MMM-mmm.... I'm smellin' the well-pleasing aroma of prime rib wafting through the house, and thinkin' borscht might not be such a harsh penalty. As long as I get to eat the prime rib, too :lol:

I'll just take comfort in my citizenship in That Far Country, and enjoy the blessing I have received from the hand of the King of that land - a lovely prime rib!

A Happy Thanksgiving to all! Enjoy the day and remember the wondrous things our God has given us undeserving sinners.

I maintain that not having turkey on Thanksgiving is unAmerican. You should have to sit the corner and eat borscht. :p

I agree (although not dogmaticly :lol:). We were contemplating stuffing a chicken so as to not have massive leftovers, but the good LORD provided us a nice small turkey. He used one my wife's daughters to deliver it to our home! Tradition fullfiled with family is a great feeling and bonding experience.

Even our wild birdies are getting a feast - fresh suet cakes from the butcher!

I maintain that not having turkey on Thanksgiving is unAmerican. You should have to sit the corner and eat borscht. :p

I agree (although not dogmaticly :lol:). We were contemplating stuffing a chicken so as to not have massive leftovers, but the good LORD provided us a nice small turkey. He used one my wife's daughters to deliver it to our home! Tradition fullfiled with family is a great feeling and bonding experience.

Even our wild birdies are getting a feast - fresh suet cakes from the butcher!

oh my, thanksgiving without leftovers? Whatever will you eat on Friday? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back