The 1st and Oneness Pentecostals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
The following may be convoluted, but please read. This is simply how my brain works through things.

My wife and I were joking around recently when she made a joke about me to which I replied, "Whoa that isn't me."

I noticed that I did not really say that she misrepresented me, but that she was describing someone completely different.

This caused me to think of heretical groups like Oneness Pentecostals and others that reject the Trinity. Are these groups heretical, not because they misrepresent God, but because their portrayal of God is so wrong that God can say, "Whoa, that isn't me. You guys are worshipping someone else." Thus they are actually breaking the 1st and worshipping another "god?"

I would say yes. If God has revealed himself to be the triune God then any representation/understanding of him other than that which scripture reveals is a false God. The mormons are guilty of this, the JW's are guilty of this and I would say that the OP's are guilty of the same thing. They are not christians, they are heretics. :2cents:

Also, let me qualify that by saying that I do not believe that a perfect understanding of the trinity(as there is not one in fallible man) is a requirement for salvation but the essence of the teaching that God is only one and not three is NOT biblical nor is it true christianity.

Most groups that deny the Trinity also end up forming bizzare beliefs i.e. Mormonism (although they use the term "trinity). Most "christian" cults if not all deny the Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back