The 5th Commandment and Mothers' Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Obi Wan Kenobi
Providentially I preached on Ephesians 6:1-3 this morning. How fitting on Mothers' Day. I'm not huge on changing my sermons for holidays, but since the passage fit well I did put a Mothers' Day twist on it.

Something we all could benefit from is to write a tribute to our parents. In our victimization and entitlement culture this can go a long way in removing crutches, shaking shackles and freeing us from excuses that impeded our walks. In writing a tribute we don't ignore the challenges or difficulties we've had with our parents, but bring the proper perspective to the table so that we honor our parents for the work they did and the influence they were in our lives. It's not a divine suggestion to honor and obey our parents, it's a mandate. If you're not doing so then, simply put, you're in sin. Often the fifth commandment is simply ignored as inconvenient or irrelevant to us today. Such offhanded neglect of God's will is grievous and should be repented of.

I have been guilty of failing to honor my parents as I should. My father passed away years ago, but there are still ways I can and have sought to honor him. My mother is living, and this week I worked on a special tribute for her. I've framed it and will be sending it to her this week. If I can, I'll put a picture here. I used this for the conclusion of today's sermon.
A Tribute to my mom, Jody Johnson,
prepared Mother’s Day, May 10th, 2009​

Dear Mom,
There is no better way to start this letter. The simple word, “Mom,” is so pregnant with meaning. Not just anyone can be a mom. Any woman that can give birth can be a mother. It’s not just bearing a child; but bearing with a child. It’s not just providing for a child, but loving a child. It’s not bound in the temporal relationship, but in the giving of one’s self for the good of another. It’s not just in the teaching of a child, but in building their character. When I consider the significance of these things I find that considering what you have been in my life parallels these blessings one has in a mom.
As I raise my own sons I often remember the stories from my own childhood, usually because of your retelling rather than my own memory. I remember the story of me playing with a penny at the restaurant, embarrassing you and Aunt Sandy in my boyhood ignorance. I remember a Papa who loved me enough to chase me down and whip my tail for disobedience. He really could run fast. I remember sitting on the horse in the back of the Camaro we had. I remember getting mad at the police officer who made you cry when he gave you a ticket; and the lesson you taught me in teaching me that what he did was right, but that you cried because of what you had done, not what he had done. What a precious lesson for a young man to learn. I remember kite sticks broken on disobedient backsides. I remember returning from Gramma’s and asking you if we could start going to church. You not only said yes, but did it. That started a journey for me that I’m elated to say will never end. Thank you, Mom.
You may think back and not realize what you taught me. But there has been a strong moral character infused in me because of your example and teaching. Often you would simply say, “That’s not right” or “That’s wrong,” shaping my mind as I grew in wisdom and stature. I remember you coming to me when you could no longer handle your marriage, seeking comfort in your decision to leave Dad. In spite of the moral training I received as a child, I failed you then, being more concerned with my life than the unraveling of your marriage. Please forgive me.
I remember your joy in finding out you had a grandchild on the way. I remember taking Justin and Jared to your house for their first trip with grandma; and Pam weeping as we left our sons for more than a few hours for the first time. And I remember how they joyfully told us of what a wonderful time they had with Granny when they were returned safely to our arms, better for their time with you.
One of the things that I most remember about you, mom, has always been your desire to give to and serve others. As a child you taught me a selflessness that rubbed off at the time. You taught me the second greatest commandment, even when you knew little about it, or the first. You taught me to love my neighbor as myself and to esteem others greater than myself. You taught me that it’s better to be cheated than to cheat someone else. Though I have often strayed from these simple truths, and still do, your example engrained within me the timeless verity of them. May I obey them to the glory of God.
Your task was hard, without a husband with a strong godly vision for leading a family. As I look back I sometimes marvel at how you would strive to fill two roles in my life at times. How challenging it must have been to teach a young boy how to be a man.
There’s no need, nor is it wise, to candy coat our family. We were disjointed in many ways. We succumbed to the social pressures of what a family should look like because our family did not know God nor walk in His ways. But, even with this shortsighted handicap, you ingrained in me the truth that God had made me; that God was good and that God was in control. I cannot tell you how much that shaped my thinking of who God is. There was an unwavering confidence in God as the sovereign Creator who worked moment by moment in the affairs of men. I knew His promises were sure, even if I didn’t understand what they were. I knew He was just and good, even if I didn’t yet know Him. And I had some understanding of His character as a result, even if I knew little about Him personally.
In all of these, mom, I praise God for providing me with a mom who had a vision for her son to grow up with integrity, faith and love for his fellow man. Though I’ve strayed often, and often strayed far, these foundations have been used by God to remind me of truth and drive me to my knees in my sin and to embrace Jesus as my only hope. And today it is these very foundational building stones that God has used to instill in me a desire to proclaim the glorious truths of God to others, that they would know Christ and serve Him more faithfully.
Mom, thank you for loving me. Thank you for catching me in my sin and telling me what was right and wrong. Thank you for disciplining me, even when I was bigger than you. And please forgive me for my rebellion as a teenager and the ways in which I have dishonored you. I have been selfish and inconsiderate of the tremendous blessing God has given me in you, my mom.
May Christ be your greatest treasure, mom. And may I be an instrument He uses to bless you from His boundless riches.

With great admiration, love and affection
Your son

Joey

Ephesians 6:1​

I could not get through that without tears..what a wonderful letter to your mom. Thank you for sharing your love and appreciation for her with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back