The Adam Clarke Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it and use it often. In his genesis commentary, he says that the serpent in the garden is an orangutan (monkey). :um:

Originally posted by Mayflower
Is it a good commentary ?
He is an Arminian commentator, but highly thought of by Spurgeon who encouraged others to use him with caution. Of him, Spurgeon said, "I do not wonder that Adam Clarke still stands, notwithstanding his pecularities, a prince among commentators."

Personally, I would not waste my money on him because of the presence today of so many other fine commentaries.

Blessings,
DTK

He's interesting to read, if not sound in some things. I believe he just skips over Romans 3:11, though.. Sort of plays roughly with Arminianism, doesn't it?

You can download Clarke's commentary for the e-sword software, and it's probably available online on a number of other sites as well.

While Spurgeon generally liked Clarke's commentary, it is reported (apocryphal or not, I do not know) that he crossed out the letters of degree after his name on the frontspiece of the commentary and wrote "An Arminian Twister of the Word."

Clarke is availible online for free from many sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back