The Afterlife in the Old Testament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
Perhaps several of you could help me out with this. I recently finished my Old Testament reading for this year, and one thing that stuck out at me was the absence of much talk of the afterlife.

We today seem to be obsessed with the afterlife, and many of the comparisons we make while discussing spiritual beliefs with people have to do with "now" vs. "eternity", especially eternity in Hell vs. eternity in Heaven.

Why is it that you don't find this same argument in the O.T.? Sure there are references to Heaven and to the grave, but I don't recall even ONE mention of the possibility of someone spending eternity in punishment. If God were going to inflict such a punishment, why would it be that no one was warned?

And what did Jesus' hearers think when He would mention such thoughts to His audience? What "pegs" of thought did they have to hang such a notion on?

Isaiah 66:

22 "For as the new heavens and the new earth which I will make shall remain before me, says the LORD; so shall your descendants and your name remain. 23 From new moon to new moon, and from sabbath to sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, says the LORD. 24 "And they shall go forth and look on the dead bodies of the men that have rebelled against me; for their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh."

Hab 1:12; Exo 3:6; Matt 22:23-32; Luke 20:27-38; Matt 8:11; 27:52-53; Deut 33:3; Gen 47:9; 49:18; Num 23:10; Psa 34:21-22; 69:28; 73:16-17; 55:22-23; 30:5; 97:10; 112:6; 116:15; 39:5-6,12; 103:17; 102:25-28; Prov 10:7; Isa 51:6; Heb 11:9-10; 13-16; Acts 3:25; 7:5; 15:8; Ezek 28:10; 31:18; 32:19; Job 13:15; 19:25-27; Isa 66:22-24; Dan 12:1-2

I did a search (like a good boy) before I asked the question and found that thread. It did address it to a degree, but still left me with the main unanswered thrust of my question. Should you find anything even more helpful, please feel free to post it here. I'm glad even you are struggling with this, as at least I know I'm in good company.
:bigsmile:

Also, I shall look up all those Scripture citations above and maybe that'll help. Thanks, Guys!

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by alwaysreforming]

Ok, I'm back from "searching the Scriptures" and I'll post an example of my findings:

Psalm 55:22-23

22 Cast your cares on the LORD
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall.

23 But you, O God, will bring down the wicked
into the pit of corruption;
bloodthirsty and deceitful men
will not live out half their days.
But as for me, I trust in you.

See, even here it says that "bloodthirsty men will not live out half their days." Everything seems to be limited to THIS earthly life here and now, and when it goes beyond that, it usually is to the tune of "to my future generation You will be kind" or "my memory on earth will continue", etc.

Why would a verse not sound like:
"The evil men shall die, O Lord, and they will pay for their transgressions for all eternity."
or
"When I die, O Lord, no longer will I be concerned for the misery I have suffered on Earth, for my days with You will never end, and this life will have seemed like nothing more than a short dream."

Something more concrete and clear seems to be limited to a VERY small number of verses, if beyond one or two. Why is this? Did the Jews have no concept of this? Why such a lack of emphasis? I'm very confused about this.

I think one of things to keep in mind is that OT predominately deals with the Israelites under the Mosaic Covenant. Therefore a lot of the writings of the Old Testament are more concerned with Jews and the Kingdom God in the promise land. Which was typological of the eternal kingdom established by Christ. Therefore we can expect to find a greater emphasis on such subjects as exile, holy war, the death of the wicked etc. Don't misunderstand me the whole Old Testament speaks of Christ and anticipate the eschatological kingdom, but that is more clearly seen through New Testament lenses.

VanVos

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by VanVos]

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
Something more concrete and clear seems to be limited to a VERY small number of verses, if beyond one or two. Why is this? Did the Jews have no concept of this? Why such a lack of emphasis? I'm very confused about this.

I don't know if we know exactly why this the case, but here is my stab.

1. Much of the "repent or perish", "turn or burn", & "you're going to hell" isn't the common preaching of the NT either. Yes, the concept is there, but it isn't the front and center doctrine that many an evangelical make it out to be. Even with that, I would say that many of Jesus' references to the issue is surrounding the destruction of Jerusalem. So, I think we have the issue a little out of focus.

2. The resurrection of the body is a more front and center doctrine, even if implicitly or properly deduced, from the Old Testament Scriptures. So, if the resurrection is in the OT, why isn't it expounded in great detail? I think progressive revelation. Also, this begs, what happens to the righteous and the wicked?

3. I put it along the lines of the doctrine of the Trinity, incarnation, and a host of other theological issues that come into focus with the coming of the Messiah. Is it there? Yes. Is it full and complete? No.

openairboy

Psalm 16.10-11: For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Dr. Daniel Block wrote an excellent article on this topic... it was in the course reader for OT Theology. If I remember, when I get back to Louisville (in 2 weeks) I will locate the original publication info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back