The Allman Brothers Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Today, for the first time in several years, I played, in it's entirety, "The Fillmore Concerts" by the Allman Brothers Band - one of the great live albums, and one of the great blues albums, of all time. Recorded in March and June, 1971 (when I was 18!) at Fillmore East in New York, it was originally a 2-record set. The 2-CD set (from 1992) has been somewhat re-jiggered, but it's almost identical to the original album.

What a great band they were, back in the day! Tight arrangements and great playing. To me, their great appeal lay in what a disciplined band it was (unlike, say *cough* the Grateful Dead *cough*, who always sounded like they were spending entire concerts trying to figure out what to play).

Ah, good times. Good times...

Midnight Rider and Whipping Post are two of my favorites. I really like the Allman Brothers. They are probably one of my favorite bands ... so much so, they are the only band to ever occupy a bumper sticker on one of my cars. : )

I always enjoyed Eat a Peach double album from around 1972. It was the last time Duane Allman played seeing it was recorded before his death. At least I think my dates are right. I think the name came from something about eating Georgia peaches. But not about the Georgia peach Ty Cobb, one of the greatest baseball players of all time.

Midnight Rider and Sweet Melissa are two of my favorites by the Allman Brothers band .

Sent from my iPhone

Nice to see the local boys finally get some recognition. lol

They are exceptional musicians. Great driving music.

Actually, John, I think the name came from the fact that Duane Allman died in a motorcycle crash that involved him running into a peach truck.

Oops! Maybe not: http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/eatpeach.asp

Funny, I've heard that since right after the album came out. The title came from an interview line Duane gave where the interviewer asked him if he was helping 'the revolutuion'. In his reply he said whenever he's in Georgia, he ate "a peach for peace", this according to the Snopes article.

Another childhood myth shot down....

Oops! Maybe not: snopes.com: Allman Brothers Eat a Peach

Great article. I never heard that story before. I always thought it was his favorite fruit and they named it Eat a Peach in his memory. I also thought they completed the whole album before Duane death. He was one of the best guirtarist, didn't know about slide guirtarist.

Nothing to do with the Allmans Brothers but we used to get the most delicious Georgia peache's in rum and they were great on vanilla ice cream.

At Fillmore East is one of my favorite albums. Their musicianship is really something else. Kind of craving peaches now also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back