The Amplified Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one.

I refer to it from time to time.

It can offer a different perspective sometimes.

[quote:d6e4f70924][i:d6e4f70924]Originally posted by JohnV[/i:d6e4f70924]
Aye? what was that? Can you turn it up a bit?:lol:
(Couldn't resist.) [/quote:d6e4f70924]

:lol::roll::lol::bouncy::lol::lol:

I used to use the Ampllified in high school, but then discovered a love for the Authorized Version.

My youth pastor hated the Amplified. He sat me down and started teaching me Greek so that I would stop using it.

Any other thoughts on this? I've been wondering lately whether or not most of the elaborations in it are trustworthy, as I used to have one, but don't remember much about it.

The Amplified Bible gets its name from the editors attempt at providing a full expression to meaning of the original text by using dashes, brackets, italics, etc. to highlight or "amplify" some thoughts/expressions. Because of this the Amplified Bible is part commentary because the editors choose to amplify some things and not others. At times some of these magnifications in the Amplified are not justified in the original text and other times it is redundant because one English word is enough to carry the meaning of the original text. Although it claims to be free from prejudice and private interpretation when you do this kind of exegetical decision making it cannot be.

I would not recommend the Amplified Bible because of these reasons. Give me something closer to the straight text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back