The Ark of the Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

caoclan

Puritan Board Freshman
...Is supposed to be revealed today in Rome by the Orthodox Ethiopian Church.

Even if this is the real deal, would this (or should this) have any effect on the Christian church (other than the amazing physical proof of seeing it)?

Only if they try to perform some obscene ritual with it. Then it might melt them.

Even if this is the real deal, would this (or should this) have any effect on the Christian church (other than the amazing physical proof of seeing it)?

Only if a hyper-orthodox Jewish sect steals it, blows up the dome of the rock mosque in Jerusalem and the Israeli government begins to rebuild the temple.
Rapture, here we come! ;-P

It would be a very fascinating archaeological object, especially for Bible-believing Christians. I wouldn't hold your breath, though.

It is of no theological significance. Christ is our ark and the sign that He was in Heaven, and that the temple on Earth was finally closed and the one in heaven opened for business, was the destruction of Jerusalem by Roman armies. See Revelation 11:1-2 and 11:19. Also Matthew 24:3 and 30. That would be according to a pretero-historicist/historical preterist interpretation of the Olivet Discourse and Revelation.

At the stage of the destruction of the Second Temple the ark hadn't apparently been seen for years, as Josephus says the Holy of Holies was empty. Either Josephus is wrong, or hiding something, or there is a mystery as to how the High Priest made atonement for the people once a year in the Second Temple. He would have nothing to sprinkle the blood on.

Maybe the priests were lying to keep the Holy Place and Most Holy Place from the prying eyes of the Romans. It's not mentioned in the Bible in connection with the Babylonian Captivity, so maybe it was hidden/went missing before then.

Last edited:
The announcement would have been 7 hours ago and yet Jacko still dominates the news. Either this ark huckster has nothing or he's going to wait until the ark doesn't have to compete with pop.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not the real thing anyway. I believe these claims have been investigated before.

Goose Island's Honker's Ale (Chicago) and it is suppose to be the perfect balance of malt and hops. I would agree and I do like it very much.

Only if they try to perform some obscene ritual with it. Then it might melt them.

Yep, like hollow chocolate bunnies in a microwave oven. (My vote is to let the pope open it.)

Questions is: If they do produce the "Ark" how is it determined if it's the real "Ark" indeed. I have a feeling this is another Romish relic.

"In Ethiopia, their whole culture is centered around worshipping this object," Cornuke said

Looks like it's turned into a curse again.

The Talmud says that the Prophet Jeremiah hid the ark of the covenant before the First Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians. The ark has never been found since. Plus there is no mention anywhere, of the ark in the second temple.

The Talmud says that the Prophet Jeremiah hid the ark of the covenant before the First Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians. The ark has never been found since. Plus there is no mention anywhere, of the ark in the second temple.

Is there any indication what the High Priest did with the blood when he went into the Most Holy Place on the Day of Atonement in the Second Temple, then? It seems a bit mysterious if there was no Ark there or even a copy? Josephus said the Most Holy Place was empty. Were the priests hiding something?

There's also this eschatalogical passage in Jeremiah:-
Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion: And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more. At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers.

Is there any indication what the High Priest did with the blood when he went into the Most Holy Place on the Day of Atonement in the Second Temple, then? It seems a bit mysterious if there was no Ark there or even a copy? Josephus said the Most Holy Place was empty. Were the priests hiding something?

There's also this eschatalogical passage in Jeremiah:-
Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion: And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more. At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers.

The High Priest in the second temple sprinkled the blood where the ark would have been. The Foundation Stone currently in the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, in that Mosque of Omar, was where the Ark in the First Temple was placed. That would be the location where the blood would have been sprinkled in the second temple. Archeologists who briefly had access to the Foundation Stone discovered a depression on the suface of the stone which corresponded to the dimensions of the Ark of the Covenant. Unfortunately the Islamic Authorities in Jerusalem control access to the Foundation Stone, and we know how friendly they are to our Faith. Many also believe that the Ark is buried beneath the Temple Mount in a Secret Chamber. The Islamic Authorities would never allow an Archeological Dig in the Temple Mount. They seem to fear what will be uncovered.

Very interesting.

Is the view that the High Priest sprinkled the blood where the ark would have been, based on archaeology and/or documentary evidence, or is it drawn by inference from Josephus's testimony?

Last edited:
Very interesting.

Is the view that the High Priest sprinkled the blood where the ark would have been, based on archaeology and/or documentary evidence, or is it drawn by inference from Josephus's testimony?

It is in Maimonides's Mishneh Torah(sefer Ha Avodah, Hilchot Avodat Yom Hakippurim) Chapter 3.5n. Refer also to Mishnah Torah, sefer HaAvodah Hilchot Beit HaBechirah 4.1) Info about the location of the ark is in the latter) Optional citings in Midrash Tanchuma.
http://www.mysefer.com/product.asp?...cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=310http://http://www.mysefer.com/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=28&P_ID=3601&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=310

There is an Ethiopian tradition that the Queen of Sheba deceived Solomon and stole the ark. How she did this is more than anyone knows.

There is an Ethiopian tradition that the Queen of Sheba deceived Solomon and stole the ark. How she did this is more than anyone knows.

She walked out backwards and said it was a delivery.

-----Added 7/2/2009 at 09:07:58 EST-----

How would it be authenticated? Someone would have to touch it. Any volunteers?

There is a Jewish Tradition that a Replica of the ark was constructed and presented to the Queen of Sheba, which she then took back. I am trying to recall where I read it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back