The Ark of the Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an Ethiopian tradition that the Queen of Sheba deceived Solomon and stole the ark. How she did this is more than anyone knows.
There is a Jewish Tradition that a Replica of the ark was constructed and presented to the Queen of Sheba, which she then took back. I am trying to recall where I read it!

Dear Vilna Gaon,

Slightly different topic.

Is there any reference in Jewish sources to the rending of the veil of the temple? I got the impression there was from a taped sermon by an American pastor, but have never come accross such a reference.

Yours,
Richard.

There is an Ethiopian tradition that the Queen of Sheba deceived Solomon and stole the ark. How she did this is more than anyone knows.
There is a Jewish Tradition that a Replica of the ark was constructed and presented to the Queen of Sheba, which she then took back. I am trying to recall where I read it!

Dear Vilna Gaon,

Slightly different topic.

Is there any reference in Jewish sources to the rending of the veil of the temple? I got the impression there was from a taped sermon by an American pastor, but have never come accross such a reference.

Yours,
Richard.
In the Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Yoma 39b, it says that 40 years before the destruction of the Temple which would be the time of Jesus' Crucifixtion, the Temple Gates opened by themselves and Rabbi Yochanan Ben Zakkai rebuked the gates saying Temple, Temple why do you alarm us.

I know that Alfred Edersheim in his ""Life and times of Jesus"" interpreted this passage of the Talmud as a corrupted history of the rending of the Temple Veil.
I have yet to come across a direct reference to the rending of the veil in the Classical Jewish sources. I am always looking!!!
I hope this helps.
Regards
Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back