"The Arminian Twister of the Word"

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
Wednesday evening, I was at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention and happened upon the booth of the Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. They had three glass display cases with books from Spurgeon's library on display.

One of the volumes featured was Adam Clark's Commentary. In a previous (and now closed) thread inquiring about this spicific commentary someone made the statement:

While Spurgeon generally liked Clarke's commentary, it is reported (apocryphal or not, I do not know) that he crossed out the letters of degree after his name on the frontspiece of the commentary and wrote "An Arminian Twister of the Word."

Well let me verify this and declare it absolutely true! The MBTS collection includes Clark's Commentary and they had it laid open to the front page where Spurgeon had indeed, with his own hand crossed out Clark's credentials (i.e. LL.D., F.A.S.) and wrote out beside them "The Arminian twister of the Word." It was the funniest thing. I only regret not having a camera to take a picture of it and post it here.

But if your in the Kansas City, MO area, stop by MBTS to see it for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back