The attributes of God during the incarnation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antipas_14

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi all,

I have been struggling with wrapping my head around the following questions for a while, and was wondering if anyone has some info or insight on any of these:

During Jesus' time on earth, how are we to understand the Godly attributes of God the Son? I am specifically thinking of His omnipresence and immutability. Meaning, was the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity, still omnipresent during Christ's time on earth? I would assume so, but notice myself thinking of it as if God the Son was 'missing' from the unity of the Trinity during His time on earth, which I believe would be an impossibility.

Additionally, in regard to His immutability, how are we to understand the Word becoming flesh? Did the humanity of God the Son always exist? Sorry if this question is overly basic, just have been meditating on it for a while and not able grasp it.

Lastly, I do have Philippians 2:6-8 in mind:
“who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”

Are there any other verses that come to mind?

Luke G

Jesus was both fully divine and fully human. To be truly and fully divine, He would have to possess boundless knowledge (omniscience); to be truly and fully human, He would have to have finite knowledge (Matt. 24:36). The qualities and attributes of both would have to be retained and preserved perfectly. A seeping in of the divine qualities into His human nature would subvert that. This necessity (of being fully divine and human) was necessary for redemption.

In regard to His omnipresence: with His divine nature, Christ was still omnipresent. His human nature, on the other hand, was bounded by space. (Also, He could not be missing from the Trinity, because the Father and the Holy Spirit are in all places).

In regard to His immutability: the Word became flesh in that He took on flesh. His divine nature remained unchanged. Did the act of taking on flesh introduce a new act? No; the incarnation was merely the fulfillment of an eternal decree to do so.

Philippians 2:6 - "emptied himself..." He did not empty Himself of His divine qualities. It is impossible for God to cease being God. You cannot remove any of His attributes without removing His existence on account of the simplicity of His nature. Instead, He veiled His glory in a lowly human body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back