The Best Way To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS116

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anybody have any tactics they use when reading books?I know I know may sound silly,but I find it hard at times to read a book and finish it.Today's entertainment devices surrounding me doesn't help either haha..but really I'm looking for strategic ways to completely finish books,not only finish them,but also be able review them.I have 5 month's of free time since i'm taking this semester off,and I want to not waste it,so I'm going to use this time for bible study,prayer devotion,learning the Westminster shorter catechism and confession and reading these solid resources to be edified.

Hers's my plan..

-Pick 3 books I will like to finish within a month
-Out of those 3 choose 1 to say I WILL FINISH THIS book this month,no matter what.
-Set a goal to read at least a chapter a week(more if possible)
-For all the chapters I read will have to write a paragraph summary on it,which will be typed so I can share it with you guys.
-Once the book I completed is finished I will have to conclude what I read in at least a paragraph.

I know I don't have to do it this way,but I want to and I know I can because I started it before but didn't finish going through with it because I get sidetracked alot.Enough excuses,I learned in ROTC(before I quit that)that the only excuse is no excuse.I refuse to waste time,and space on my closet shelf with good books I don't read.I love reading and I love writing a lot it brings me peace, that's why I'm considering on switching to a major in english.

I too really struggle to finish books I've started. I cannot seem to keep up consistency and I do not like reading a book from where I left off it has been more than a week. I would say the best way (and if only I did this!) is to read 10-15 minutes a day. You would be surprised by how much you've read in a month.

Pick books that you want to read, rather than, or at least in addition to, books that you think you should read.

Don't be afraid to decide that a book isn't worth your time or effort

Read several books at once, mixing lighter and heavier reading.

I probably wouldn't read as much as I do if I made it as big a burden as your plan.

Shawn I admire your determination. Set a reasonable goal that can be reached and then DO IT! I have hundreds of books that I have purchased over the last 35 years of which I have read perhaps 10% from cover to cover. Some of that has be intentional. Many of the books I buy are chosen for their reference value. I will pull them down and consult them many times while researching an issue. Include an occasional biography. A well written biography will hold your attention and edify at the same time.

I was bad about leaving books unfinished. Early in 2011 I made a resolution to finish 12 books in the calendar year. One a month seemed like a reasonable goal.

And I did it. I ended up finishing 14 in the year, which is more than I had ever done before.

The key was picking books I actually enjoyed, like Edward said. Don't let other people tell you what you should like. Be honest about the books that interest you.

I love history, but frankly, there are a lot of biographies of wonderful people that would put me to sleep. I love theology, but still (brace for it), there are several puritan writers who would bore me to tears.
And I'm okay with that. I accept that many people may enjoy a certain book and be edified by it, and that's great. I'm just not going to allow reading to be a chore for me in an attempt to impress myself or attain some higher spirituality.

With regard to finishing a book that I laid down some time ago, I find that picking up where I left off works fine with a work on biography or history. But in a theological treatise, perhaps especially a monograph on a given subject, I find that it's much more helpful to read it straight through within a short period of time. In that case, a chapter a day (when possible) is a good goal provided the chapters are not that long. Unless I have a definite time set aside, a goal of a chapter a week is not likely to be helpful to me.

Develop a discipline of quiet times, in a world often run by dissonance and distraction. Cultivate by planning and ordering your life for that, and learning to focus, despite distractions. Ask God for grace to do that- it will help in every aspect of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back