"The Bible." Why can’t Protestants get this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it or not, expect it to keep it up for four more weeks
Is that how long I am going to have to put up with this nonsense? On a semi-related note, this is probably the most historical thing the History Channel has shown in years.

I noticed this when watching the History Channel when on the road. "Reality" programs have replaced documentaries and "docudrama" on the History Channel. Well that just knocks the History Channel out of my small handful of reasons to get cable -- NOT!

While idolatry (i.e. images of any person of the Godhead) may only be one of the problems of The Bible show (as the saying goes never let a few facts get in the way of a manageable movie script), a consistent stance against images of God seems to be a long time problem for Protestants.

“It were much to be wished that suitable steps against this evil had been taken in the Protestant churches soon upon the initial purification of doctrine. And moreover, that the idolatrous images, which have been and still are one of the principal abominations under the Papacy, had been everywhere abolished by the Protestant estates for the recovery and preservation of the proper service of worship and for the possible prevention of various disgraces to the Christian religion and to its reputation…

“And even if all the people of this age had their eyes opened so widely that there would now be no more residue of offence or scandal on account of images, nevertheless all manner of injury could be sustained among their descendents no less than formerly as a result of the surviving idols.

“And even if this were not encountered, still it is right in itself. And, as has previously been often stated, it is commanded by God that one should do away with the monuments of idolatry or memorials by means of which great idolatry was being promoted a few years ago. And this accords with the approved example of Holy Scripture.

“For King Hezekiah broke up the brazen serpent after the children of Israel had burned incense to it, though Moses had made it at God’s command as a type of Christ, 2 Kgs. 18[:4]….”

The Nassau Confession of 1578, translated by R. Sherman Isbell, in Reformed Confessions of the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] and 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Centuries in English Translation Volume 3 1567-1599. Edited by James T. Dennison (RHB, 2012), under the head “The Christian Magistrate not only has the power to remove Idolatrous Images, but is obliged to do so on account of his office,” 531.

Can they honestly be called protestants if they find violations of the 2nd commandment acceptable? Many of the "protestants" I've dealt with regarding the issue fail to understand the logic of the Reformers on the issue. I have consistently been told during the yuletide season that the Nativity seen does not break the 2nd commandment because they are not worshipping the statues. But whenever I put forth Calvin's horns of dilemma on the issue the response is normally, I don't want to talk about it. I was told not to bring it up again by the pastor's wife of one church I attended. To which I responded, Should I then be quiet about blasphemy? The pastor then tried to explain to me why it was ok. He was not pleased when I pointed out that his argument was very similar to the Roman Church's argument for idols and icons. And further that he, as the Pharisees before him, was replacing the commandments of God with the traditions of men and did he think himself more secure than the Pharisees in making himself God? I took this tact because of an earlier discussion on how Christians do this in their daily lives. I also asked him how he could claim to be a Calvinist when Calvin, a hero of his, condemned all such things as idolatry? His response was particularly sad, Well my wife likes it. This is also why he refused to publicly condemn The Shack, and why when presented the opportunity and the support of the majority of the congregation, he refused to unify the church doctrinally via a Sunday School program that taught all members in the sanctuary. The church has since been on the downward slide.

In the end the reason so many "protestants" see no issue with breaking the 2nd commandment is because they are more in Rome's camp than in the Reformer's camp. Think of how many in "protestant" denominations still think that doing good deeds merits favor with God. Our culture is steeped in Rome's doctrine. We need Reformation here in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back