The Biblical Museum by James Comper Gray(15Vols)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VilnaGaon

Puritan Board Sophomore
I just picked up a well worn set of the Biblical Museum by James Comper Gray in 15 Vol. for a few dollars. I admit I principally bought it on the recommendation of Spurgeon who placed it in his top category. My study of it thus far backs up Spurgeon's assessment. This is NOT a critical commentary. It is written mainly for Sunday School Teachers and Christian Laymen like myself. The style of writing is very accessible and Popular. What the author lacks in criticism, he more than makes up for in Piety.

This is not so much a commentary as a collection of Notes on the Bible. These Notes are studded with practical observations which will edify you and there are ample quotes from other commentaries and writers (Gill, Calvin, Hammond, The Speakers Commentary even Vitringa) on the margins. Although it was written over a hundred years ago for Sunday School Teachers, there is stuff in it that even many Ministers today have never heard of. How far have we fallen!
Rather than printing many of the pathetic modern commentaries we find today, Christian Publishing Houses should be reprinting Classics like these.:2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back