The Big Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Paul

Puritan Board Sophomore
When speaking with people on any variety of topics, it seems I can never get beyond two concepts that are so intricately woven together:
1) The Scriptures
2) Predestination

There are so many things I could focus my attention upon in learning the things of God and I fully recognize I am quite inferior in my understanding to those of you here on the PB. But would I be correct in asserting that a solid and detailed knowledge of these two things is essential? I mean to say, if we are to have the mind of Christ and to think God's thoughts after him, we must know the scriptures, yet not just know them alone, but also the doctrine of Divine Revelation, Inspiration and Authority and how the Scriptures are truly unique and separate from anything else in the world. This would stifle any appeals made to any other "authority" and also silence those who speak as Christians yet somehow deny these very things.

Then, by our ability to properly defend the scriptures in this way, we would not have to "go soft" in pronouncing God alone as the Sovereign of the Universe no matter what the situation. In this, I think immediately of how frequently I hear the church saying "God is in charge" and using the word "sovereign" but then back-pedaling in the face of any accusation that God is not the author of sin; does not use nature to punish; Satan's influence and the common, run of the mill life etc.

Am I misguided here or am I on the right track? I just always distill everything down to these...

Donald -- These are two extremely important things: the knowledge of God's revelation to us and his sovereignty in salvation. The latter, however, is a deep and humbling mystery to me and when stop to consider the relation between to the two, I can't help but be drawn to this verse: "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law" (Deut. 29.29). We are to hold on to every precious truth that is revealed to us in God's Holy Word, the whole counsel of God as it were, every word of which is life to us, and one part of which asks "What is man, that thou art mindful of him?"

God condescends to us by means of His Word and most of all by His Word, that is, His Son, that we might know life eternal. If we know our place, that we are the creature and He is the Creator, then he must increase, and we must decrease. And that is key, according to Christ Himself, that he who humbles himself shall be exalted, while he who exalts himself shall be humbled. Man's end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. This fundamental truth requires a knowledge of God and of self, God's revelation and the mode of salvation given to us.

What then? The whole counsel of God is a deep ocean. As Gregory I said of God's Word, "It is, as it were, a kind of river, if I may so liken it, which is both shallow and deep, wherein both the Lamb may find a footing, and the elephant float at large." Theological learning is not to be depised, but what is truly wonderful and most precious, though of little import to many, is the child-life faith commended by Christ Himself (Mark 10.15). Our little ones look to us and hang upon every word their parents utter (and when they do not, don't we parents see the workings of total depravity even in our youngest children?), and that is how we should be with our Heavenly Father. And truly, to those who are given more light, more is required. Elephants and lambs each have their place in the kingdom of God. I could say more here, but to quote from The Princess Bride: "Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up."

The Westminster Divines (Larger Catechism):

What do the Scriptures principally teach?

The Scriptures principally teach,: What man is to believe concerning God, and: What duty God requires of man.

What do the Scriptures make known of God?

The Scriptures make known: What God is, the persons in the Godhead, his decrees, and the execution of his decrees.

And Calvin's big two are as follows (The Necessity of Reforming the Church):

If it be inquired, then, by what things chiefly the Christian religion has a standing existence amongst us and maintains its truth, it will be found that the following two not only occupy the principal place, but comprehend under them all the other parts, and consequently the whole substance of Christianity, viz., a knowledge, first, of the mode in which God is duly worshipped; and, secondly of the source from which salvation is to be obtained.

Thanks, Andrew. I have been attempting to look hard into the Puritan/Reformed writers as they treat upon the subject of the Holy Scriptures. (Authority, Revelation, Inspiration, Canon etc) My purpose is to understand just what the argument means in the face of much of today's dismissal of the bible as being no more relevant for morality than any other text.
I believe it was Michael Barrett who said when we are accused of circular reasoning in stating the bible is authoritative because it (the Bible) says so, that we are indeed using circular reasoning. ALL use circular reasoning when it comes to authority.
I appreciate his contribution, but then I have to ask myself, if it is as simple as that (and Dr. Barrett did not claim that it is so) then why the necessity for the full volumes that address it? I have Warfield's Revelation and Inspiration, Turretin's Institutes, Archibald Alexander Evidences of Authenticity, James Bannerman Inspiration, John Dick Essay on Inspiration, Gaussen's Theopneustia...and many more. I find it very difficult to believe that in these thousands of pages where the writers address specific objections as they do that there is so little of it utilized from what I can tell.
What good is it to be able to quote verses yet be unable to accurately represent the Doctrine of the Scriptures as well?

Yes, predestination is a deep mystery and ought not be spoken of lightly. Yet it is also woven throughout the whole of Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back