The Blues anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampguy

Puritan Board Freshman
I have just discovered several blues albums and two are These first two areChristian (Black Gospel to be exact).
The first is the Five Blind Boys from Alabama, Spirit of the Century.
The other is the Holmes Brothers, Jubliation.
Here are a couple more for you:
Junior Wells/Buddy Guy: Plays the Blues
Blind Willie Johnson: Dark was the night (some Gospel)
Muddy WatersL Best of Muddy Waters (Chess Records)
Folklore of John Lee Hooker
Magic Sam: Westside Soul
Anyone else like the blues? How about some recommendations?

Those are all classic artists, Tim. I would suggest also checking out Elmore James, who is a particular favorite of mine.

I used to have a good many blues discs. Not too many now but I do have The Complete Blind Willie Johnson, which is a must. Robert Johnson as well, although with songs like "Me and the Devil Blues" and "Hellhound on My Trail" he certainly was not a gospel artist, and this gave rise to the idea that the blues was the "devil's music". That may be true, but there is far more truth in those songs than in much of CCM, etc. today. Robert Johnson was a tremendous influence on many of the British artists of the '60's, especially the Stones, Clapton and Zep.

I would say I probably slightly prefer the acoustic delta blues over Chicago blues but I really enjoy both. Son House and Charley Patton are two other Delta blues giants, but I never picked up any of their discs.

I love listening to the blues. I went to a John Lee Hooker concert once. It was a great experience. I enjoy Robert Cray, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Jeff Healey, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, and a number of others including of course

bluesbrothers2xq.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back