The Bonnie Blue Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
In a recent thread that was a gift to me from Benjamin Glasser (THANKS!) the song 'Bonnie Blue Flag' was posted. It has become apparent that their is ignorance regarding this piece of American history. So, I thought I would post a bit on the history of this noble banner. It was originally the flag of the Republic of West Florida. (Another bit of history that is most often not known.) Rather than my rambling on here is the Wikipedia link to a history of the Bonnie Blue.

Bonnie Blue Flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the complete lyrics of the song:

We are a band of brothers, Native to the soil
Fighting for the property We gained by honest toil.
And when our rights were threatened, The cry rose near and far;
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag That bears a single star!
chorus: Hurrah! Hurrah! For Southern rights, Hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag That bears a single star!

As long as the Union Was faithful to her trust,
Like friends and brethren, kind were we, and just;
But now, when Northern treachery Attempts our rights to mar,
We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue flag That bears a single star.

First gallant South Carolina Nobly made the stand,
Then came Alabama And took her by the hand;
Next, quickly, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida,
All raised on high the Bonnie Blue flag That bears a single star.

Ye men of valor gather round The banner of the right,
Texas and fair Louisiana Join us in the fight;
Davis, our loved President, And Stephens statesmen are;
Now rally round the Bonnie Blue Flag That bears a single star.

And here's to brave Virginia, The Old Dominion State.
With the young Confederacy At length has linked her fate.
Impelled by her example, Now other States prepare
To hoist on high the Bonnie Blue flag That bears a single star.

Then here's to our Confederacy, Strong we are and brave,
Like patriots of old we'll fight, Our heritage to save.
And rather than submit to shame, To die we would prefer
So cheer for the Bonnie Blue flag That bears a single star.

Then cheer, boys, cheer, Raise a joyous shout
For Arkansas and North Carolina Now have both gone out;
And let another rousing cheer For Tennessee be given
The single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag Has grown to be eleven!

Hmmm. I think I think this Yankee better leave that one alone.

Hee, hee, hee. . . :)

-----Added 8/20/2009 at 06:54:37 EST-----

Even better to hoist aloft once more this bonnie blue banner
File:BlueBanner.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:BM Harl 1460-5.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For Christ's Crown and Covenant

A hearty, 'Amen!'

Jon, that never stopped me from jumping in and stirring the pot. You don't believe me? Watch this...

"Abraham Lincoln was a great American!"

Now, watch my dear southern brethren froth at the mouth and have a conniption fit. It's always great entertainment.

:lol:

You are a brave soul.

Jon, that never stopped me from jumping in and stirring the pot. You don't believe me? Watch this...

Now, watch my dear southern brethren froth at the mouth and have a conniption fit. It's always great entertainment.

I didn't know we were allowed to say that on the PB. I was under the impression that positive comments about our 16th President were strictly forbidden. In response to this new found freedom to speak positivily of the North, I'd like to add that General Grant was a supurb leader and general.

A couple of tidbits...

Verse 1, line 2 was often sung "fighting for our liberty with treasure, blood, and toil." No one is quite sure which was original.

The "Republic of West Florida" was actually in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama now. This former Floridian thought they rightfully belonged to us. :smug:

A couple of tidbits...

Verse 1, line 2 was often sung "fighting for our liberty with treasure, blood, and toil." No one is quite sure which was original.

The "Republic of West Florida" was actually in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama now. This former Floridian thought they rightfully belonged to us. :smug:

We sang it both ways. I'm not sure which is original either.

The proper considered response to this is, I believe...

"RAT BRAINS!"

Wow the Republic lasted 74 days before being annexed. but of course near and dear to my heart the bonnie blue flag served as the inspiration for the first Flag of the Republic of Texas.

Remember the list of 'Leading Characters' in T.W.Dixon's "The Clansman"

Charles Sumner Of Massachusetts
Gen. Benjamin F. Butler Of Fort Fisher
Andrew Johnson The President
U. S. Grant The Commanding General
Abraham Lincoln The Friend of the South

The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Clansman, by Thomas Dixon.

Warning: Link not politically correct. The story is about Presbyterians.

I haven't heard the muskets or Napoleon cannons firing yet. Maybe that's just because Lawrence hasn't read the question...

We'll just keep it up there where he sees it.

If you're going to mix it up with these guys then you need to change your girly avatar.

If you're going to mix it up with these guys then you need to change your girly avatar.

Whoa... my little sister is kind of girly, isn't she?! :eek: :lol:

[Edit - We're not talking about my current avatar; I took down the one of my sister.]

Last edited:
Okay, I took Calista down for now. It's hard to appreciate her cuteness in the pic unless it is larger, anyway. Now I have Tristan, my nephew. He looks like he can take on them southerners, especially if it's a matter of eatin' corn bread, a bowl o' red, or maybe some grits! :)

Depends on how Tristan eats his grits. Grits need to be had with sausage*, and big cats paw biscuits and sawmill gravy

*whole hog sausage.

Grandad made his own cornmeal and sausage. That was good stuff.

Oh and how is he on sorghum? greens? He looks old enough to have taken his first dead, how many points was it?

You know how you tell a rich man here in Georgia right? He has 2 cars on blocks in his front yard.

Depends on how Tristan eats his grits. Grits need to be had with sausage*, and big cats paw biscuits and sawmill gravy

*whole hog sausage.

Grandad made his own cornmeal and sausage. That was good stuff.

That's nothing. He was bottle fed on that stuff after grinding it in a blender. The blender broke after the second whole hog though.

Oh and how is he on sorghum? greens?

Sorghum? Well, he does have more teeth coming in so his gums are rather sore. Do you have spell check, by the way?

Greens? Well, he likes them best in the crayon variety. Yesterday at Applebee's he was munching on the orange pretty good though.

He looks old enough to have taken his first dead, how many points was it?

Trust me, he'll definitely be a Calvinist when he's older--he bagged a five pointer.

You know how you tell a rich man here in Georgia right? He has 2 cars on blocks in his front yard.

But how many Georgians are needed for a full set of teeth?

. . . Yeah, I think Tristan is up to the task.

Sorghum is a thixotropic syrup made from certain grasses. You mix it with butter and put it on your biscuits.

We could probably take him in and raise him OK but if he wasn't born here he won't ever really take completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back