The calling of the disciples

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
I envision the calling of the 12 disciples as completely extemporaneous. Take Matt. 4:18-20, for example.
Matt. 4:18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Meaning Andrew and Simon were fishing and a complete stranger asks them to follow him. However, John paints a different story.
John 1:40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ).

Andrew heard John the Baptist's preaching and naturally followed Jesus after John's arrest. He tells his brother Simon.

What was it from the perspective of the disciples? Did they follow, or at least hear about, Jesus prior to their calling? Did they anticipate or want to be called?

From a broader perspective of the time, how did one become a disciple of a Pharisee or other religious leader? Did they apply to be a disciple and a select few were chosen, similar to a clerkship or fellowship today? Or did the Pharisees call their disciples similar to Jesus? Only difference being they chose the best and the brightest while Jesus chose fishermen.

From what I have read Jesus as caller, for a rabbi, was unique. Typically those wanting to be disciples sought out a Rabbi and if I recall correctly paid a stipend.

Interesting thoughts to think what was going through their minds. From the passage in John it shows they knew of Him before he called them in the boat. Perhaps since Andrew had learned this was the Christ, after telling his brother they must have talked about how they might want to follow Him. But maybe they thought themselves unworthy to follow Him as they were just fishermen. They must have known how other rabbis selected certain types. And so when our Lord walked by and called them they were overjoyed and literally left the boat and the nets where they were and followed Him! (And of course we know that it was all owing to the irresistible grace of God.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back