The Calvinist Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Hosie

Puritan Board Freshman
Has anyone seen the Calvinist movie? What are your thoughts? Worthwhile watching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was awesome. It basically laid out my journey to reformed theology, so it resonated with me personally. It is not just a Calvinism documentary but an expose on the YRR movement.

Our church had a free screening with Les . I feel the movie was nostalgic as it reminded me of my journey to the doctrines of grace. However, I feel like it just added to the already confusing term Calvinism. I hoped that they would have explained that Calvinism cannot be separated from Calvin’s reformed theology and that to be reformed means holding to reformed theology as a whole and not just Tulip. No complaints about the movie, I just think that many will walk away still thinking of themselves as reformed and being far from it.

Ps, as I’m typing this, I really don’t want it to seem like I’m complaining. I hope it doesn’t come off that way :)

Our church had a free screening with Les . I feel the movie was nostalgic as it reminded me of my journey to the doctrines of grace. However, I feel like it just added to the already confusing term Calvinism. I hoped that they would have explained that Calvinism cannot be separated from Calvin’s reformed theology and that to be reformed means holding to reformed theology as a whole and not just Tulip. No complaints about the movie, I just think that many will walk away still thinking of themselves as reformed and being far from it.

Ps, as I’m typing this, I really don’t want it to seem like I’m complaining. I hope it doesn’t come off that way :)

It is like teaching people algebra who don’t understand addition. covenant theology is the foundation for The doctrine of grace no Covenant theology no doctrine of grace.

I've been told it's a good movie but they lost me when I saw a bunch of the young, restless, and reformed crowd. Not a fan of that group of folks.

I've been told it's a good movie but they lost me when I saw a bunch of the young, restless, and reformed crowd. Not a fan of that group of folks.

You don't like young people who are reformed? I think you won't be disappointed. They talk about the wrong paths that were taken and corrected....being corrected. They talk about the pride that filled people when they first heard of Calvinism and how they wondered if people were even saved who weren't reformed. I think we can all acknowledge that we have more pride than we should even the old, slow, reformed crowd ;).

Last edited:
You don't like young people who are reformed? I think you won't be disappointed. They talk about the wrong paths that were taken and corrected....being corrected. They talk about the pride that filled people when they first heard of Calvinism and how they wondered if people were even saved who weren't reformed. I think we can all acknowledge that we have more pride than we should even the old, slow, reformed crowd ;).

Umm...no. That's absolutely the wrong take away from that. I don't care for the YRR movement, as a group of folks promoting their theological views. It's struck me as hipster religiosity and I didn't care for it when it started and really don't care for it as it's morphed.

But thanks for giving me a chance to clarify my point. To say that I "don't like people who are reformed" would put me in a tough spot, since I look at a guy in the mirror everyday who's Reformed, I live with some, serve alongside many, count tons of them as friends, and serve some, too. :)

Umm...no. That's absolutely the wrong take away from that. I don't care for the YRR movement, as a group of folks promoting their theological views. It's struck me as hipster religiosity and I didn't care for it when it started and really don't care for it as it's morphed.

But thanks for giving me a chance to clarify my point. To say that I "don't like people who are reformed" would put me in a tough spot, since I look at a guy in the mirror everyday who's Reformed, I live with some, serve alongside many, count tons of them as friends, and serve some, too. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we are allowed to "not care for" a part of the body of Christ. Their movement is no different than any other reformed movement. No reformed movement started out perfectly. Luther had many things to work through along with those who followed him. I doubt even Calvin had everything perfect when he discovered reformed theology.

Things the YRR movement were doing incorrectly (being over zealous with trying to force Calvinism onto every Christian and not being a member of a church etc) were identified and shown to them that it needed to be corrected. The documentary (has actual people who are known to identify with this group) shows the spiritual journey this group went through. It might have started out as hipster religiosity, but they've grown in their understanding, and have matured in Christ.

Paul didn't decide he didn't care for a certain church because of the sin or incorrect things they did. He helped them by teaching them correct doctrine. That's exactly what other pastors have done for the YRR group. It's the appropriate thing they could have done not only because this group is made up of our brothers and sisters, but because God commands it. God commands that we disciple others not walk away from them because we don't care for the likes of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we are allowed to "not care for" a part of the body of Christ. Their movement is no different than any other reformed movement. No reformed movement started out perfectly. Luther had many things to work through along with those who followed him. I doubt even Calvin had everything perfect when he discovered reformed theology.

Things the YRR movement were doing incorrectly (being over zealous with trying to force Calvinism onto every Christian and not being a member of a church etc) were identified and shown to them that it needed to be corrected. The documentary (has actual people who are known to identify with this group) shows the spiritual journey this group went through. It might have started out as hipster religiosity, but they've grown in their understanding, and have matured in Christ.

Paul didn't decide he didn't care for a certain church because of the sin or incorrect things they did. He helped them by teaching them correct doctrine. That's exactly what other pastors have done for the YRR group. It's the appropriate thing they could have done not only because this group is made up of our brothers and sisters, but because God commands it. God commands that we disciple others not walk away from them because we don't care for the likes of them.

OK. I think there's a difference to be clarified between not liking a theological movement and not liking the people. I thought I'd made that but perhaps I should've been clearer. Please forgive my lack of awareness of how this would be received.

For the record: I don't care for the YRR movement as they've presented their views; I generally find how "celebrity Christians/Pastors" are presented and defended off putting. I have no personal opinion of them as people because I haven't sat down with every person who's a part of that movement. As far as their salvation that's between them and the Lord and I have and will continue to take them at their word that they're brothers and sisters in Christ unless and until some sort of formal Church discipline takes place that affirms otherwise. I hope that this clears up any confusion.

This is also a good reminder of why I joined PB so many years ago but have so few posts. I'll leave these remarks up because I don't want to mess up the flow of the post but I regret even commenting in the first place. So the floor is yours from this point forward to do with as you will.

OK. I think there's a difference to be clarified between not liking a theological movement and not liking the people. I thought I'd made that but perhaps I should've been clearer. Please forgive my lack of awareness of how this would be received.

For the record: I don't care for the YRR movement as they've presented their views; I generally find how "celebrity Christians/Pastors" are presented and defended off putting. I have no personal opinion of them as people because I haven't sat down with every person who's a part of that movement. As far as their salvation that's between them and the Lord and I have and will continue to take them at their word that they're brothers and sisters in Christ unless and until some sort of formal Church discipline takes place that affirms otherwise. I hope that this clears up any confusion.

This is also a good reminder of why I joined PB so many years ago but have so few posts. I'll leave these remarks up because I don't want to mess up the flow of the post but I regret even commenting in the first place. So the floor is yours from this point forward to do with as you will.

Your posts were fine and I think most of us understood what you meant. There's a lot that's not Reformed and even anti-Reformed in the YRR movement and the more its presented as what it means to be Reformed or a Calvinist the more it obscures true (and biblical) Reformed theology and practice. One would hope it could prove a "halfway house" for those moving towards the Reformation and at times it has, but it as often proves the opposite as its characteristics begin to be adopted in ostensibly confessional Reformed churches. Gillespie clearly didn't care for prelatism, we can not care for the YRR.

Last edited:
I was young, restless, and Calvinistic before it was cool. Now I’m older, trying to rest in Christ fully, and am, curmudgeonly-while-working-toward-winsomely, reforming.

Me, too, Josh.

Then again, I do like to let folks know where I stand (see attached). ;)

Attachments

• AMRCalvinistT-Shirt Small.jpg
    AMRCalvinistT-Shirt Small.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 26

I understand what you were saying brother - don't worry about it.

I felt the movie did a good job moving beyond TULIP (it was basic) to confessional reformed theology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back