The Calvinist Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movie was intended to watch and see what happened to the YRR movement as a whole. It looked at the primary people (Piper, Keller, Sproul, MacArthur) and it does do more than just talk "TULIP." I recommend the movie to many types of people, but mostly to people who have seen friends and loved one become "reformed" and want to know more about what that is.

Disclaimer: I am a friend of the creator.

Color me uninformed on the YRR experience, but why is MacArthur classed as Reformed? Or is it clear in the film the difference between Reformed and dispensationalism, Tulip profession notwithstanding? Will the uniformed gather from the film what to expect if they were to check out a local confessionally reformed church?

The movie was intended to watch and see what happened to the YRR movement as a whole. It looked at the primary people (Piper, Keller, Sproul, MacArthur) and it does do more than just talk "TULIP." I recommend the movie to many types of people, but mostly to people who have seen friends and loved one become "reformed" and want to know more about what that is.

Disclaimer: I am a friend of the creator.

Not having seen the movie, does it deal with some of the more problematic figures in the movement like Driscoll, Mahaney, Tullian, etc? Driscoll's influence was probably right up there with Piper in the early going and pretty clearly exemplifies many of its more serious issues.

Not having seen the movie, does it deal with some of the more problematic figures in the movement like Driscoll, Mahaney, Tullian, etc? Driscoll's influence was probably right up there with Piper in the early going and pretty clearly exemplifies many of its more serious issues.

@TheOldCourse Yes. Specifically, Driscoll. Exactly for the reasons you specified. The other issue he spends a bit of time on is the Reformed Rap (Shai Linne for example). This is because the Christian rap genre was created concurrently with the YRR.

Color me uninformed on the YRR experience, but why is MacArthur classed as Reformed? Or is it clear in the film the difference between Reformed and dispensationalism, Tulip profession notwithstanding? Will the uniformed gather from the film what to expect if they were to check out a local confessionally reformed church?

He only spends a brief amount of time on MacArthur. It is just as a reference to the past people who held to the "doctrines of grace." Les doesn't go into the "Ref/Dispensational" distinctions at all.

The uninformed will gather "TULIP" and the basics of WHAT the confessions are. Personally, I wish he would have dove more into the confessions, but hopefully, maybe he will make a second movie.

It was okay, but I don’t think I would use it as a tool to share the Reformed faith. It takes some weird turns and spends time talking about Mark Driscoll for some reason. And concludes by bringing racial inequality into the equation?? It’s more of a over view of the YRR movement within the Baptist Church circa 2003-2012, but has Presbyterians (Sproul, Duncan, etc.) explaining the doctrines of grace— no wonder they were so restless. The doctrines of grace separated from convenant theology create an unresolved tension in my opinion.

If you want a dvd I will mail you mine no charge. PM me the shipping address

I think one main thing I got out of it is how quickly man's ability to fall into pride and look down on others for not being very knowledgeable about God. We should be concerned about people's lack of knowledge about God and do our duty to give out the truth, but our knowledge about God should humble us because we know what great sinners we still are and because we are to show God's love to everyone especially his people. And we shouldn't make cheeky remarks about God's people even if we feel we are in possession of greater knowledge than they are. This is what I believe this documentary is trying to convey that they have and are still learning. I think it's something we all can learn .

Just finished the Calvinist movie tonight with my family. I thought it was quite good, but it was not exactly what I was expecting. I thought it might be useful as an evangelistic tool for a younger churched and nominally Christian audience. It revealed that many in the YRR movement have a weak view of the Church. I give it B to a B- rating.

Calvinist is a wonderful film that lays out the story of how so many of us came to discover the Reformed tradition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back