The Christian’s Reasonable Service / Vol. 2 - Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some solid reminders from Brakel in my reading today as I am within 100 pages of finishing Volume II:

Regarding a reminder about our own strength, pg. 607:
A believer, a converted person, who now desires to increase in this life must carefully guard against any notions about his own strength. Instead, he must habitually endeavor to discern his impotence, for then he will be more dependent upon the Lord in every deed. He will then gratefully acknowledge every good thought, be kept from much falling into sin, avoid many temptations, and be steadfast in the ways of the Lord.

Regarding our own hearts, pg. 608:
Furthermore, take note of your heart and deeds and observe:
(1) How impotent you are to do anything aright—to do it by faith, in union with Christ as one‟s life and strength. You are impotent to comply with the law as being the will of God—incapable of doing so out of pure love, to the honor of God, and without inclination toward a seeking of self.
(2) Consider how the heart is repulsed by that which is spiritual, how difficult and troublesome it is for the unregenerate old nature to live in the presence of and continual communion with God, and how inclined it is to the world. It seems as if the old nature is naturally inclined to rest and delight in these thoughts. This is an indication that the old nature is here in its element and that spiritual life is thus supernatural, having been wrought, not by them, but by an almighty power.

Waiting on God’s promises in HIS timing, pg. 630:
God may possibly have decreed a long period of time between the initial moment when the desire concerning a certain matter arose in your heart and the moment of fulfillment. Abraham had the promise that he would have a son from Sarah; the fulfillment was so long in coming, however, that it was no longer probable. What a long time span there was ere David received the kingdom! Zacharias had long before prayed for a son in his youth and his prayer was heard in his old age. We must thus not always expect the promised matter as soon as the promise comes to mind, nor should we become discouraged if it is not fulfilled immediately; instead, patient waiting is necessary at such a time.

May we rest in His promises, for He is always faithful, pg. 635:
How frequently we must thank the Lord for not giving us our desire, subsequently perceiving that it would not have been good for us! Therefore, believe the promises, expect their fulfillment, and joyfully leave the time, measure, and manner to the Lord. You will then trust as a child and be established. Take the following text to heart: “Whoso is wise, and will observe these things, even they shall understand the lovingkindness of the Lord” (Ps 107:43).

In the last chapter of Vol. II, Brakel devotes many words to helping believers understand the difference between true spiritual life and those whole ONLY have the external appearances of being Pietist. One of many marks, which Brakel points out, is a supposed “believer” having not love or care for the Church. May we remember the joy and love which we should have towards the Church. pg. 648:
Who can reflect upon the church without being ignited in love toward her? Of all that is found upon earth, she excels in glory, purity, and excellency. What would the world be without the church other than Sodom? Yes, the world would not exist if there were no church. The church is “... the joy of the whole earth” (Ps 48:2) and “... a praise in the earth” (Isa 62:7). It is the chief joy of God‟s children—yes, it exceeds all that is joyful. “If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning. If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy” (Ps 137:5-6). All David‟s love, joy, care, and desire were focused upon the church. When he was driven away from her, he said, “My tears have been my meat day and night” (Ps 42:3); “Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech” (Ps 120:5). His only desire upon earth was to be where the church was. “One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life” (Ps 27:4). He rejoiced exceedingly when this was his portion. “I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord. Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem” (Ps 122:1-2).

And a reminder that plenty a lost soul has had the external appearance of being spiritual. From pg. 660:
If heathen who do not have the Word of God can be that religious, this is much more true for the unconverted who are externally illuminated by the Word. You must therefore not immediately consider to be spiritual what appears to be spiritual—for there is a natural and a spiritual piety.

From page: 678. A distinction regarding self-seeking:

There can be either a sinful or a holy seeking of self. A sinful seeking of self is when one seeks honor, esteem,
love, respect, advantage, etc. in order that all men and everything would end in them. A holy seeking of self is to promote one‟s own physical welfare for the purpose of being fit to serve God in whatever capacity that may be. In our seeking after God, it is not sinful to have the welfare of your soul, and thus light, life, love, joy, delight, and salvation in view. Rather, it is evidence of being engaged spiritually in the right way.

Well that’s it, I have finished reading Vol. II. The End.:detective:

Thanks for posting all these. I don’t think I caught every one, and didn’t always respond, but I enjoyed what I read and some of them were particularly helpful.

Thanks for posting all these. I don’t think I caught every one, and didn’t always respond, but I enjoyed what I read and some of them were particularly helpful.
On to Vol. III next week. I’m not sure if I will do the same here or not. However I enjoyed this and it served as a quote catalog and I can see it took me 6 months to read Vol. II.

On to Vol. III next week. I’m not sure if I will do the same here or not. However I enjoyed this and it served as a quote catalog and I can see it took me 6 months to read Vol. II.
PLEASE do!! I love reading your posts, even if I never respond. Keep it up, brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back