The Christian and Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescued

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm torn about this issue. I know what the scriptures say about our liberty, but I personally find it to have been an idol in my life at times, only ever having one or two drinks now and then. But I realized a while ago that maybe I was doing that in a way displeasing to God. If I look to alcohol to dull the pain caused by the stresses of this life, then it is sin. But if perhaps I partake in a time of gladness and joy, doing all things to the glory of God then I am not doing anything wrong. Any comments?

The alcohol forum is closed on the Lord's Day. But I don't see how this is 'Literary'.

Oh I apologize, I don't know how this site works. So how do I post things under different topics?

Go to the particular forum that is suitable for your topic and click the post new thread button, or if you are on a main screen clicking to post a new thread will bring up most, but not all, the different forums to choose from.

yes I found it thanks! And so I guess discussion of alcohol is prohibited on the Lord's Day. Ok, that sounds reasonable. Thank you.

The Puritan Pub is a members only forum (which you will have access to once you hit 26 posts) for discussion of what beverages folks like of the alcoholic variety. Proper use or misuse of such is free to discuss. Free free to continue.
yes I found it thanks! And so I guess discussion of alcohol is prohibited on the Lord's Day. Ok, that sounds reasonable. Thank you.

Proverbs 31:

Give strong drink to one who is perishing, and wine to the bitter in soul. Let him drink and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.…

In the jungle we lacked medicine to kill the pain. Sometimes in lancing boils or pulling out thorns (the thorns can be 6 inches long and hit bone), a few shots of whiskey is like Saloon medicine you see in the Cowboy movies (we've even had people bite down on leather).

Alcohol is very useful in certain contexts. To dull the pain is one such legit use.

In times of extreme mourning, I would never condemn someone who took a few extra swigs.

Drinking alcohol in itself is not sinful but it can be for some who have a history of alcoholism. The principles found in 1 Cor 8 regarding eating meat sacrificed to idols come to mind. For somebody with any sinful struggle Jesus reminds us that it is better to cut it out of our lives (Matt 18:7-9). I say these things as a former alcoholic saved by grace.

The fact that you feel guilty about using alcohol to numb pain may indicate a sinful slant in your current usage. This can happen in many forms. There was one point in my life that I felt like my workout routine became an idol to deal with stress. It can come in various forms and doesn't have to be on an actual substance.

In our area of the country, alcohol consumption is looked at as a sin (a lot of fundamentalism here). For this reason, I don't imbibe at all, not because I think it sinful, but because I don't want to be a stumbling block for someone else.
That being said, if this quarantine isn't lifted before long I'm gonna START! :cheers:

There's a difference between a drink now and then that helps to pick up one's spirits or fits the merriment of an occasion, and a pattern of using alcohol as a false comfort, escape, or way to withdraw. So, much depends on what you mean by "dull the pain of the stresses of this life."

And because some people in our culture have made abstinence a matter of self-righteousness, the whole question becomes even more complicated. We must avoid being self-righteous over either our abstinence or our freedom to partake.

Finally, kindness toward our neighbor means that in some cases it matters what alcohol might mean to those around us who would join us. There's enough alcohol abuse in this world that we should be aware others might associate any drinking with a license to abuse alcohol, or with a world full of hurt. And there's enough self-righteousness over alcohol choices that we should also be aware of those effects on others.

So, there's no simple answer, only much wisdom to ponder.

Where did you get that idea? Or is this a matter of personal conscience for you?

Because for me I found that I was relying more on the numbing effects of a couple glasses of wine than I was in getting on my knees in prayer and casting my anxieties on the Lord. I suffered a divorce from an unfaithful wife a few years ago and the effects of it are still felt.

I drink when it is offered to me. I try not to that often because I get dehydrated quickly, though if it is at a family gathering it isn't much of a dehyrdration issue.

I don't drink frequently anymore (used to have 1-2 drinks a night), but now I enjoy a glass of wine or a craft beer from time to time. Alcohol in itself is not a sin, but it can (like many things) become an idol if you're not careful. Also, if it is being used and there is a dependence on it, that is problematic as well.

Drunkenness is a clear dividing line; scripture is clear on that. Further, self-control is one of the fruits of the spirit (you cannot be both drunk and self-controlled). A few verses come to mind:

Proverbs 20:1
Ephesians 5:18
Galatians 5:19-21
1 Timothy 3:2-3
1 Corinthians 5:11
Proverbs 23:21
Romans 13:13

In general, alcohol is one of those gray areas that many Christians debate (trust me, I know this all too well in the Baptist circles I run). :doh:

Praying the Lord gives you clarity, brother.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in refraining as it is so easy to be abused. For health reasons that I am particularly susceptible to, I only drink once in a while now (maybe a few times a year).

Once while visiting the US to visit churches I tried to buy a nice bottle of shiraz at a store for a peppery sirloin steak I had waiting for me at home (maybe for an anniversary or dinner date with the wife), and as I was checking out, I saw someone from a church across the large store but they didn't see me. I told the cashier lady (with a stressed smile), "Quick...I'm a baptist buying liqour and another baptist just entered the store!" And she like froze for a second, and then understood, and then started cackling and cackling laughter. She thought this was hilarious. Which turned many heads my way. I loudly whispered to her again, "Aargh, you're blowing my cover!" And she just hysterically laughed some more and said, "Ok, James Bond...you've procured the package....now flee!" and she laughed all the way as I stealthily crept out of the Dierbergs store.

Unless one is a drunkard we have bigger things to focus our feelings of guilt upon then an essential portion of a nice meal.

Plus....if any supporters is reading this, remember the Apostle Paul said to take a little wine for the stomach and I once helped heal my worst case of dysentery ever (a 6-month bout...EVERY DAY, and a 2 "accidents" while hiking) by taking about 2-3 glasses a day for lunch, supper and bedtime. After 4 days of this I stopped worrying about whether I needed to buy adult diapers or not. So praise God for the grape and all of its blessings, especially its fermented ones.

I agree with Perg. People are often far too hung up about imaginary sins. God has given us all things freely to enjoy. I ate a pizza tonight; I like pizza and thank God for the gift of this food. I do not waste my time agonising over whether or not I love pizza more than God before eating it. No, this sort of thing removes all joy from Christian living and oppresses weak consciences with endless scruples, which often leads to the sin of adding to God's law. Seriously, if you do love pizza more than God, you have much bigger problems than eating pizza.

Some thoughts over a whiskey-and-sprite:

My father-in-law shuns alcohol because of all the drunken sailors he saw in the navy. One of my best college friends has a lot of relatives who badly abuse alcohol, so he chose not to chance it while not having any judgment towards those with a different practice. I respect them both for their convictions, especially since they do not make a law out of their prudent choices.

Sometimes refraining from alcohol can be an act of mercy. Over a decade ago when I was living out west, there was a man at my church who was on and off the street and struggled with substance abuse. The church often had wine and beer at events. When he was there, I tried to make a point of skipping the hard stuff so he wouldn't feel like he was the only one missing out. Why use my freedom to harm a brother?

Sometimes drinking alcohol can be an act of mercy. One time I met my parents, a cousin, and the cousin's husband for lunch. The cousin's husband had been spending the week clearing the home of his recently-deceased mother. Everyone but him ordered soft drinks; he ordered a pitcher. I grabbed a glass and took a share of it (despite not being a beer man). I did it to defuse the awkwardness of the moment and to turn a potentially reproachful moment into sharing some beer with a relative.

When I pastored I made the decision not to drink at all. My reasoning was, it might offend someone if I am seeing drinking. It most likely will not offend anyone if I don't. And if it offends anyone that I *don't* drink, then what? Besides, caffeine free diet coke is my drink of choice.

When I pastored I made the decision not to drink at all. My reasoning was, it might offend someone if I am seeing drinking. It most likely will not offend anyone if I don't. And if it offends anyone that I *don't* drink, then what? Besides, caffeine free diet coke is my drink of choice.
I am so offended Dr. Kistler! First no alcohol and then no caffeine?? What's wrong with you??? ;p
:p

"And thou shalt bestow that money, for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink (beer!), or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household," -Deut 14:26

C'mon now, who wants to disobey that??? Cheers man! :cheers2:

And thou shalt bestow that money, for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink (beer!), or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household," -Deut 14:26
Moderating:
Please create your signature per the Puritan Board signature requirements. Thank you. https://www.puritanboard.com/help/signature/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back