The Christian and Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

I was considering this morning how work relates to the Christian life. Consider this, can an unemployed Christian who works for the Lord be considered as a faithful witness? By "unemployed" I mean one who does not have a secular job but uses their time for the service of the Lord and others. Also, what about those who can't work a secular job and make a living, or cannot work due to illness or health reasons. I believe that that 2 Thess 3: 10 is addressing those who do nothing for the Lord and are not willing to make any effort whatsoever. I think in the context of what Paul is saying "work" does not always apply to a secular job. I think he is talking about working for good and using effect, such as putting ones mind to a task. What about those Christians who have jobs that require very little physical effect, such as an office worker or one who sits at a desk. To me lazy means those who sit around most of the day watching TV or playing video games, those who are sluggish and except everything to be done for them.

I think the words "not willing to work" is key here. We can be willing but not able. Is this a matter of the heart attitude towards work or actual effort.

"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command:
If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."
2 Thessalonians 3:10, (ESV)​

I would consider 'providential hinderances' as a valid reason one cannot work.

In regards to the word, 'work', I believe u are on the right track; it would seem that it is contrasted w/ being a sluggard:

ἔργον, ἐργάζομαι.
A. General Usage.

1. The Greek Usage.

Ἔργον, which derives from the same Indo-Germanic stem and has the same meaning as the English “work” (German Werk), and the verbal derivative ἐργάζεσθαι, were both in common use from the time of Homer and Hesiod, and many concepts came to be associated with them, though none specifically. They both denote action or active zeal in contrast to idleness (ἀεργία [ἀργία]), or useful activity in contrast to useless busy-ness (περιεργάζεσθαι, 2 Th. 3:11; cf. περίεργος, Ac. 19:19; 1 Tm. 5:13; also the charge against Socrates, Plat. Ap., 19b), or any kind of active work. The words may be used of agriculture and agricultural economy, but also of the pursuit of various trades, of all kinds of occupations, of commercial undertakings, of trade, shipping and fishing (Rev. 18:17), of the chase, and of art, sculpture and poetry. They may also be applied to working in various materials (metal, wood, stone, clay), or the fashioning or erection of various objects such as vessels or buildings, or all kinds of technical or cultural works, including the winning of natural products, For these varied possibilities there are several examples in the Gk. Bible. The terms also denote work in the social or ethical sense either as a burden laid on man or as a necessary means of life and support. They are applied no less to the domestic tasks of woman than to the public work of men. They refer to works of peace and services in the public welfare, but also to heroic acts of war. As they are thus used in the sphere of moral action, various adjectives are ascribed to them to denote their worth (ἔργα καλά, ἀγαθά, θαυμαστά, ἄδικα, κακά, ἀείκεα; σωφροσύνην, ἀρετὴν ἐργἁζεσθαι [Isoc., 13, 6], also ἔργα ἀρετῆς [Xenoph. Cyrop., I, 5, 8]). The cultural significance of work, which is also the divinely willed plan for human life, is especially emphasised in Hes. Op., 307 ff.: ἐξ ἔργων δʼ ἄνδρες πολύμηλοί τʼ ἀφνειοί τε· | καὶ ἐργαζὁμενοι πολὺ φίλτεροι ἀθανάτοισιν. | ἔργον δʼ οὐδὲν ὄνειδος, ἀεργύη δὲ τʼ ὄνειδος. The life of Heracles as one of laborious action in the service of humanity is an exemplary fulfilment of human destiny as depicted in popular Cynic philosophy, which regards it as an ideal. The Hellenistic period thus appropriates at root the ethos of work which dominates the Works and Days of Hesiod. Honest work is the basis and meaning of life. Naturally, then, a man is judged by his works, his achievements, his deeds, his total conduct. A similar formula ἐκ τῶν ἔργων γιγνώσκειν is often found, e.g., in Xenophon. There is a comparable estimation of man by his works in the Mystery cults on the basis of natural morality. Thus in the inscription on an altar of the Attis-Cybele cult, found in Rome in 1919, we read: ἔργα, νόον, πρῆξιν, βίον ἔξοχον ἐσθλὰ προπάντα … τοῦτο φέρω τὸ θῦμα. Outside the Bible there is no specifically religious use of ἔργον and ἐργάζεσθαι, though ἔργα ἀθανάτων is often used of the rule and works of the gods (Hom. Il., 16, 120; 19, 22). On the other hand, ἔργον is a philosophical term, esp. in Platonic and Aristotelian philosophy.5 In Plato the term is linked with τέχνη (Gorg., 517c). There is a firm relation between ἀρετή and ἔργον (Resp., I, 352d). The word ἔργον comes from the sphere of civilisation, not of organic nature. For man the ἔργον ψυχῆς is central (Resp., 1, 353a-e). Aristotle developed the concept systematically. It is found at the beginning of the Nic. Ethics (I, 1, p. 1094a, 3 ff.). Ἔργα are by nature of more value and more worth seeking than ἐέργειαι. The ἀρετή of every creature, e.g., the eye or the race-horse, consists in fulfilling properly its specific ἔργον, i.e., seeing or running. Aristotle thus consistently applies the concept of the organic (ἔργον!) to the whole of nature (An., II, 1, p. 412a, 1 ff.). For him ἐνέργεια or ἔργον is the form of things, the fulfilment of the disposition inherent in matter. The state of fulfilment implies true and effective activity.

The passive use of ἔργον is also widespread. In this sense it means what is wrought, the result of work or the product of the process of work (e.g., a work of sculpture or architecture or literature or art, also defensive or offensive works; in the OT it is sometimes found for בְּלִי Nu. 4:16 or יוֹשֶׁר Sir. 9:17, and also for the fruit of the soil, e.g., Jer, 14:4), or for the reward of work either as wages or as gain. Finally, the thought of achievement sometimes retreats into the background and we simply have the weak sense of a “matter” or “thing."

Georg Bertram, “Ἔργον, Ἐργάζομαι, Ἐργάτης, Ἐργασία, Ἐνεργής, Ἐνἑργεια, Ἐνεργέω, Ἐνέργημα, Εὐεργεσία, Εὐεργετἑω, Εὐεργέτης,” ed. Gerhard Kittel, Geoffrey W. Bromiley, and Gerhard Friedrich, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1964–), 635–636.

By "unemployed" I mean one who does not have a secular job but uses their time for the service of the Lord and others. Also, what about those who can't work a secular job and make a living, or cannot work due to illness or health reasons.

While one can find anecdotal cases to fit almost any scenario, I'm having difficulty picturing large numbers of people who can 'work for the Lord', but not work for money. Are you speaking of bedridden folks who can spend their day praying?

Are you speaking of bedridden folks who can spend their day praying?

Thank you for that you make a very good point, Edward. I think those believers who are confined to bed or housebound due to illness or old age who pray are a vital part of the Church. I think you're right, those who can't work due to no fault of their own who use their time wisely are a great blessing.

What about those Christians who have jobs that require very little physical effect, such as an office worker or one who sits at a desk.

Nathan:

I realize that you're new here, but your point in this escapes me. Are you saying that an office-worker, because not engaged in manual labor, might also be thought of as "not willing to work?" I don't understand why you cite this here.

The passage in Paul seems rather straightforward to me. One ordinarily provides for oneself and family by performing some work that nets one (whether it's a money economy or not) food, clothing, shelter, etc. If one is not willing to make such provision for oneself, then he should suffer the consequences of such and not expect the church (or other agencies) to provide it for him.

Paul is obviously addressing a lack of willingness to work and not any inability to work. That's a different matter.

Do you pose this because you see this being abused or misunderstood in some particular way?

Peace,
Alan

Do you pose this because you see this being abused or misunderstood in some particular way?

Thank you Alan. Yes, I see this verse being misunderstood by some folks. It appears to me that some think that if a Christian man is not doing any physical work or manual labour then he is somehow "lazy". What I am saying is this, whatever job a Christian has he is to do it to the best of his ability and make every effect in that job. If a Christian man has a wife and/or family I believe scripture teaches that he is to provide for his family.

I used an officer work as an example of a job that is not manual labour or very physical, but is a job that requires effort, willingness and other skills.

Someone once say that those who do not have a physical job are lazy. I find that foolish reasoning to be honest. I wrote that to see if anyone else has had the same said to them. I fully agree with your second paragraph Alan. Sorry if I confused you. I hope I have cleared that up. I agree, inability to work is a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to me that some think that if a Christian man is not doing any physical work or manual labour then he is somehow "lazy".

So you've encountered serious arguments that only manual labor counts as work? This would mean that the ministry itself is not work, nor the other professions (medical, legal, etc.), as well as many managerial/executive positions, never mind the average office worker.

I find anyone holding such a view so absurd as to warrant no response. Clearly Paul means work of whatever kind that provides one with the necessary food, clothing, etc. He would not restrict this to "physical" work.

Peace,
Alan

So you've encountered serious arguments that only manual labor counts as work? This would mean that the ministry itself is not work, nor the other professions (medical, legal, etc.), as well as many managerial/executive positions, never mind the average office worker.

I find anyone holding such a view so absurd as to warrant no response. Clearly Paul means work of whatever kind that provides one with the necessary food, clothing, etc. He would not restrict this to "physical" work.

Peace,
Alan

You are right Alan. It is so crazy I could not really understand the point this person was making. I did talk to the chap but he would not really listen to anything. I was thinking of this matter when I was reading 2 Thess 3 this morning. I thought that surely I am not the only one who have come across folks that say the same, maybe I am sir hahaha. Your advice is very good indeed, those that hold that view or utter such dumb things are not worth responding to I guess. The same person said that if a Christian man does a job that is not physical then we ought to do something after that job that requires physical effort then we have "worked". Using 2 Thess 3: 10 to reach that view is beyond me.

I challenge anyone who thinks sit-down jobs are not real work to spend a few hours reading the tax code, legal memos and court case summaries and have all their doubts removed.

Per the words of Keith Green...

“And that Moses
Who does he think he is?
He just sits around
He just sits around
He just sits around and writes the Bible!”

- So You Wanna Go Back to Egypt

Amen you’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peace,
Alan

I've encountered plenty of blue collar types who consider "pencil pushers" as not doing "real work." Since they generally also disdain education, (at least beyond the High School level) that they don't make "serious" arguments goes without saying.

That being said, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone make this case using the Bible. These are the kind of men who will say that they find God on the lake or in the deer stand rather than in church with the women and the preacher who seems to only "work" two or three hours per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back