The Church of the Firstborn, which are Written in Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Hebrews 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

A short question from our family devotions. Who are these people, in the title above, “which are written in heaven?” Are they on earth? Or are they in heaven?

The two commentators below seem sure it is speaking of the saints on earth.
The last phrase of the verse, I think, is speaking of the saints in heaven. “the spirits of just men made perfect.”

What say ye?

Thanks in advance.

From Jamieson, Fausset & Brown:
written in heaven—enrolled as citizens there. All those who at the coming of “God the Judge of all” (which clause therefore naturally follows), shall be found “written in heaven,” that is, in the Lamb’s book of life (Rev 21:27). Though still fighting the good fight on earth, still, in respect to your destiny, and present life of faith which substantiates things hoped for, ye are already members of the heavenly citizenship.

Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Vol. 2, p. 478). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research

From Lenski:
The fourth item reads: “and to a church of first-born enrolled in (the) heavens.” This is the church on earth, for its members are enrolled in heaven, are thus not as yet there. “First-born” denotes rank and not precedence in time. Some recall Esau (v. 16), but his was physical and temporal precedence. The word is not elsewhere used with reference to believers, and it seems to denote the fact that as first-born the heavenly inheritance, the city of God, belongs to them as the heirs. All other men receive only a share of earthly gifts which they so often fail to appreciate. The perfect participle indicates that a permanent record has been made of their names in heaven.

Lenski, R. C. H. (1938). The interpretation of the Epistle to the Hebrews and of the Epistle of James (p. 457). Columbus, OH: Lutheran Book Concern.

Last edited:
I read it as referring to the invisible church, which "consists of the whole number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one, under Christ the Head thereof."

Gill:
By the "church", is not meant any particular, or congregational church, nor any national one; but the church catholic, or universal, which consists only of God's elect, and of all of them, in all times and places; and reaches even to the saints in heaven: this church is invisible at present, and will never fail; of which Christ is the head, and for which he has given himself.

from Gill: but the church catholic, or universal, which consists only of God's elect, and of all of them, in all times and places; and reaches even to the saints in heaven:

This is what my son was arguing for this evening at our devotions. I think I am now persuaded that you and my son are right. Thank you Tyler so much for taking the time to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back