The Complete Works of Andrew Fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
The complete works of Rev. Andrew Fuller

Anyone read sermons of Andrew Fuller ? I only know that he was a baptist and friend William Carey and that he wrote a sermon against hypercalvinism. Any thoughts ?

link - Bio

I've found his complete works in three volumes for $115 by Sprinkle, but haven't got them just yet.

Dr. Michael Haykin is part of the Andrew Fuller Project, which is aiming at publishing a modern critical version of his works, which will total around 12 volumes and should be finished around 2012.

He's an interesting character; one which I'd be interested in learning more about. He wrote what I believe to be the definitive book on Duty-Faith, which I am interested in.

Originally posted by polemic_turtleDr. Michael Haykin is part of the Andrew Fuller Project, which is aiming at publishing a modern critical version of his works, which will total around 12 volumes and should be finished around 2012.

Thanks Tyler! Do you know if there have been already some volumes (of the 12) been published ?

Originally posted by Mayflower
Originally posted by polemic_turtleDr. Michael Haykin is part of the Andrew Fuller Project, which is aiming at publishing a modern critical version of his works, which will total around 12 volumes and should be finished around 2012.

Thanks Tyler! Do you know if there have been already some volumes (of the 12) been published ?
Timeline of the Project

They may be publishing as they go, and if so, they'd probably be publishing the Diary this year.

Thanks for the much better price, Andrew. :)

"The Complete Works of Andrew Fuller" is now available on a computer CD. Andrew Fuller was the driving force behind the modern missionary movement among the Baptists and the man "who held the rope" for missionary William Carey. This CD contains a biography of Fuller's life and all the important writings of this throught-provoking pastor and theologian. It is a must for every serious Baptist theologian whether you agree with him or not. E-mail Brother Oldfield to order your copy." [email protected]

I forgot until tonight that I owned this CD Rom. About a year ago I ordered B.H. Carroll's CD Rom from Br. Oldfield and he sent along "The Complete Works of Andrew Fuller." I think I paid under $30 USD for both but I can't be sure. After reading through some of it I recommend it. Fuller wrote, "R. ‘There are different shades of Calvinism, I suppose, amongst you?’ – F. ‘Yes; there are three by which we commonly describe; namely, the high, the moderate, and the strict Calvinists. The first are, if I may so speak, more Calvinistic than Calvin himself; in other words, bordering on Antinomianism.’ – R. ‘Have you many of these?’ – F. ‘Too many.’ – O. ‘Do they not reckon you a legal reacher?’ – F. ‘Yes; at this very time I am represented, throughout the religious circles of London, as an Arminian.’ – R. ‘On what ground?’ – F. ‘What I have written in a note in the Gospel its own Witness.’ – R. ‘I remember that note. We all approve of it, and think it agrees with the doctrine held by our Church. But what do you call a moderate Calvinist?’ – F. ‘One that is a half Arminian, or, as they are called with us, Baxterians.’ – R. ‘And what a strict Calvinist?’ – F. ‘One that really holds the system of Calvin. I do not believe every thing that Calvin taught, nor any thing because he taught it; but I reckon strict Calvinism to be my own system."

jm
http://www.idahobaptist.com/index.htm

Volume 1 of Fuller's Complete Works

The new set is looking very nice.

Thank you very much. I wonder how many vol. this set would be?

PREFACE TO THIS ELECTRONIC EDITION
IT appears to the preparer of this edition of The Complete Works of the Rev. Andrew Fuller that modern Baptists may have heard about this man and his theology, but very few have ever directly read any of his material. In many cases, based upon hearsay, people have formed negative conclusions about him and in the process dismissed the wealth of wisdom and instruction that he has left us. For many years Andrew Fuller’s material was out of print. Through God’s providence that this compiler “accidentally” discovered a lover-less, well-worn, 175-year-old copy in a used book store in Calgary, Canada. It was such a joy to him, that he became sure that others would be blessed by reading this work. A hard copy of The Complete Works of the Rev. Andrew Fuller has been offered to the public since this copy was found, but its prohibitive cost has kept Fuller out of most personal libraries.

Andrew Fuller was one of many important men in our Baptist history. He, along with a few others, was instrumental in bringing Baptists back to their evangelical” and New Testament roots, helping to send William Carey as a missionary to India and imploring the lost of Great Britain to come to Christ. While it is true that most of us would quarrel with Fuller in some areas of theology, in the main, most sovereign grace Baptists would not only agree with him, but would be blessed by reading his expositions and closely thought-out arguments against the heretics of his day.

The following William Cathcart’s article on Andrew Fuller in his The Baptist Encyclopedia, (Philadelphia, Louis H. Everts, 1881, page 420): “In general his theology is Calvinistic. His treatment of several of ‘the doctrines of grace’ is such as to afford no comfort to the disciples of James Arminius. His views of the atonement, however, were innovations to the English Baptist of his day, which stirred up vigorous opposition. Dr. Gill was the theological teacher of one section of his denomination, and Mr. Fuller of the other. Mr. Fuller’s doctrine of the great sacrifice is generally received by English and American
Baptists, though there are still some among us who regard Dr. Gill, in the main, as approaching nearer to Paul’s representation of the nature of Christ’s glorious propitiation than the profound theologian of Kettering. These brethren agree with Mr. Fuller in using every Christian effort to bring sinners to Jesus,
and to spread the gospel throughout the whole earth.”

Despite the vast improvements in Optical Character Recognition software (OCR), it is impossible to scan old, worn manuscripts perfectly. Attempts have been made to reduce or eliminate canning mistakes, but the reader will find undoubtedly find some spelling and punctuation errors. However careful
examination of the context should clarify Fuller’s original intent. Nearly all of the author’s original spellings have been maintained in an effort to be as historically accurate as possible. May this volume stir your mind to study and serve our sovereign Saviour.

– K. David Oldfield
Calvary Independent Baptist Church
Post Falls, Idaho 83854

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back