The Complete Works of John Owen - 40 Volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Here you go - the first volume is out now:

www.crossway.org/books/the-holy-spirit-hccase/

From now through 2028, Crossway will publish 40 volumes of Owen's complete works (including some stuff never before published). Foreign-language quotations translated, text lightly edited for easier reading. They're doing it up big time.

But be sure to get them through Reformation Heritage Books instead.

This looks to be a projected $1600+ tax for the set. For those who would like the works of Owens, but may not be able to afford them, the puritaninn has 69 of his works in 4 volumes (vol. 104-107) available in PDF (and soon to be EPUB.) Not to take anything away from this, just for those who may not be able to afford this. God Bless.

RHB has it for $22 - https://www.heritagebooks.org/produ...the-complete-works-of-john-owen-volume-7.html

Its tempting. I have Owen's works on Logos but reading in digital is no fun for me. Nice for searching, not so nice for reading.
Dont know if you know about this, if you have the cash, but I am probably going to save up so I can read my Logos books on it. But it is a tablet that uses E-Ink/Paper White, similar to Kindle. It is also big enough to comfortably read PDF's on too. The price is kind of hefty at $400, but it may be worth it for someone who would spend much more on books if the alternative is offered for free online, or in a program like Logos. Someone posted this on the Logos Daily site. I know the harsh light from a regular tablet can be uncomfortable for some to read from, this tablet mimics the hue of paper more closely. And since it is a tablet, accessing Logos books via the app, or PD books via Archive, is applicable.

That is interesting. With Amazon pushing so hard on digital books right now, they've really got to come up with something better than the Kindle.

This looks to be a projected $1600+ tax for the set. For those who would like the works of Owens, but may not be able to afford them, the puritaninn has 69 of his works in 4 volumes (vol. 104-107) available in PDF (and soon to be EPUB.) Not to take anything away from this, just for those who may not be able to afford this. God Bless.

Well, as I mentioned, get them from www.heritagebooks.org instead.

Now that I think of it, that's quite the task Crossway has taken on - 40 volumes in six years.

Volume 8 (the second volume to be published), also on the Holy Spirit, is due in May, 2023.

What I would really be interested in acquiring is the new translation of THEOLOGOMENA PANTODAPA (the Soli Deo Gloria translation is entitled, Biblical Theology). Other than that new translation, I am not sure what else there is to add to the existing set of John Owen's Works. Perhaps some manuscript letters or sermon outlines have been uncovered, but it is news to me.

For those who plan on purchasing, do you already own the 19th century Goold edition (and if so, do you plan on keeping it)?
I personally can't really find any justification for buying the new series having purchased and begun reading the older edition from Banner of Truth.

I somehow have all 16 volumes plus Hebrews in pdf with bookmarks. It must have been available for download in the past for free.

Last edited:
I somehow have all 16 volumes plus Hebrews in pdf with bookmarks. I must have been available for download in the past for free.
Yes, you are correct. I think there is a version by a person named Goold out, available free online.

Last edited:
I wish it could be offered via subscription possibly.
Concordia does this for Luther's Works, and when the next one is printed, they send you the volume along with the bill...I think 2 volumes per year.
It saves me from keeping track of it.

Either way, I'm glad Owen's Complete Works are being offered, and I'm grateful for the work Reformation Heritage and others do.
What a blessed time to live in, despite the world's condition.

Why get the works of John Owen, when for only $319.99 you could have the works of jOHN PIPER!!

Many John's have done virtuously, but thou, O Piper, excellest them all

Why get the works of John Owen, when for only $319.99 you could have the works of jOHN PIPER!!

Many John's have done virtuously, but thou, O Piper, excellest them all
That would be a good set to have, but Piper offers most of his works for free in Ebook already.

Here you go - the first volume is out now:

www.crossway.org/books/the-holy-spirit-hccase/

From now through 2028, Crossway will publish 40 volumes of Owen's complete works (including some stuff never before published). Foreign-language quotations translated, text lightly edited for easier reading. They're doing it up big time.

But be sure to get them through Reformation Heritage Books instead.
I don't like this type of release pattern.

About 10 years ago I signed on to the IVP release if the Reformation Scripture Commentary series. Was promoted as a new volume quarterly. It started off that way. Now it is one, maybe two a year. The last release was May 2022, and the next scheduled release is now July 2023.

This is frustrating. When I started buying them, I never thought this would string out so long and be so unfulfilling. Just the opposite result promoted and expected.

Do you have a link? This was not just online. It was a formatted pdf. Last time I went looking for it I couldn't find it.

This link doesn't seem to work for me right now.

I have only found a few of the volumes in PDF - formatted by AGES Software - by a Google search but not the complete collection. Here is vol.1 - https://pmb.sttabdisabda.ac.id/files/ebook/1912101050_The Works Of John Owen Volume 1_[John_Owen]_Works_of_John_Owen_vol_1(z-lib.org).pdf

(EDIT - I have just seen that this appears to have come from a CD collection of Owen's works from BMSoftware.co.uk which can apparently still be purchased here - http://www.bmsoftware.co.uk/ages/orderform.htm#johnowen .. However be warned that the site or software may be defunct - https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/ages-software-compability-with-vista-and-7.74325/ )

Last edited:
This link doesn't seem to work for me right now.

I have only found a few of the volumes in PDF - formatted by AGES Software - by a Google search but not the complete collection. Here is vol.1 - https://pmb.sttabdisabda.ac.id/files/ebook/1912101050_The Works Of John Owen Volume 1_[John_Owen]_Works_of_John_Owen_vol_1(z-lib.org).pdf

(EDIT - I have just seen that this appears to have come from a CD collection of Owen's works from BMSoftware.co.uk which can apparently still be purchased here - http://www.bmsoftware.co.uk/ages/orderform.htm#johnowen .. However be warned that the site or software may be defunct - https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/ages-software-compability-with-vista-and-7.74325/ )
Here you go, this should work. You should be able to just right-click and save-link-as.

You are a computer whiz sir
Thank you for the kind words. There was just a link in the comments section of the first link I provided with the scanned PDF's talking about a site with these copies. That link in now defunct. But Archive . org has something called a "Wayback" machine, where over the past 15 years or so has scanned the entirety of the web ever so often. This makes it so many times if there is a defunct link, you can go there and see the snap shot of the website when it was previously functional. Not all download links within the old sites work, but this one did. Glad I could help.

I have only found a few of the volumes in PDF - formatted by AGES Software - by a Google search but not the complete collection.
I bought that CD somewhere in the early 2000s. I think it was around $12.

I have all those files backed up in several places but I was reluctant to post them because of copyright. I ended up giving the disc to a friend. It had everything that had been published, 16 volumes plus the Commentary on Hebrews.

I have the Banner volumes and every time I compared to the AGES version the text was identical. Page numbers were different, though. With the software version that wasn't a big deal because you could search for a particular phrase.

Saying all that, I'm a little puzzled about the need for this set at such a price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back