The Confessional Presbyterian 5 (2009) getting closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
We have art at least.:) I am shooting for late October to take delivery. We are about 85 to 90% there on the contents.
The Confessional Presbyterian
Subscribe or renew for the 2009 issue; we need your support to continue what has become a fine print journal (and I don't just say so myself!). Back issues remain at a great bargain set price. The articles that should appear are listed at the link and below.

• The Westminster Assembly & the Judicial Law: A Chronological Compilation and Analysis, by Chris Coldwell and Matthew Winzer. Mr. Coldwell presents a lengthy and unique chronological ordering of the work of the Westminster Assembly on the Thirty-Nine Articles and the Confession of Faith, with extensive extracts from the works of various divines, and Mr. Winzer takes up the analysis.
  • Pictures of Jesus and the Sovereignty of Divine Revelation: Recent Literature and a Defense of the Confessional Reformed View, by David VanDrunen. Dr. VanDuren has written a helpful defense of the Reformed view rejecting representations of Christ, which is both succinct and extensive in its references. The siren song of recent literature to abandon the view as represented in Westminster Larger Catechism 109 is strongly countered.
  • Is Recreation Lawful on the Sabbath? An Examination of the Biblical Basis for the “No Recreation” Clause in WCF 21.8 and WLC 117? by Lane Keister. The author examines the exegetical basis for the Puritan view proscribing recreation on the Lord’s day as summarized in the Westminster Standards.
  • John Calvin on the Doctrine of Divine Revelation, by W. Gary Crampton. A survey of the Reformer’s doctrine of Scripture showing that he was very much in conformity with the later Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms.
  • Samuel Rutherford’s Contribution to Covenant Theology in Scotland, by D. Patrick Ramsey. An assessment of Rutherford’s contribution to the development and establishment of covenant theology in Scotland, first providing “an overview of the history and development of covenant theology up to the time of Rutherford….”; and then examining “his covenant theology based upon his writings.” The author concludes by placing “Rutherford’s covenant theology in historical-theological perspective” and “drawing some tentative conclusions about his role in the development and establishment of covenant theology in Scotland.”
  • Francis Turretin and Barthianism: The Covenant of Works in Historical Perspective, by James J. Cassidy. Current Barthian scholarship and seventeenth century theology often meet but very rarely harmonize. In recent historical-theology done from a broadly Barthian conception, Protestant orthodoxy is more often caricatured than described. This trend is seen nowhere more clearly than over discussion of the covenant in general and the covenant of works in particular. Why is there such an antipathy towards the doctrine of the covenant of works as articulated during the period of “high orthodoxy?” This paper examines Turretin’s doctrine of the covenant of works as it is found in his Institutes of Elenctic Theology, and Karl Barth’s disposition towards Turretin and the doctrine of the covenant of works in his Church Dogmatics. The relationship is explored between Karl Barth’s attitude toward the covenant of works and those who have come after him, and a comparison is made between Barth and the Barthians, and Turretin’s actual doctrine.
  • Presbyterian Quintessence: The 5 ‘Heads’ of Church Government, by Frank J. Smith. Did you ever wonder why the Presbyterian Church in America Book of Church Order speaks of five “heads” of church government? Frank J. Smith explores why and how this concept was adopted by Southern Presbyterianism. Solving the mystery entails the interplay of church history with politics, culture, and science.
  • James Durham on the Song of Solomon, by Donald John Maclean. The author explores the old reformed view of a spiritual interpretation of the Song of Songs by examining “the standard Scottish work on the subject.”
  • Johannes Megapolensis: Pioneer Reformed Missionary to the Mohawks, by Wes Bredenhof. The author examines the life and work of “the chief apostle to the Indians under the Dutch regime,” Johannes Megapolensis (1603–1670).
  • An Answer to the Challenge of Preaching the Old Testament: An Historical and Theological Examination of the Redemptive-Historical Approach, by Anthony T. Selvaggio. The author’s twofold purpose is: “(1) To trace and explain the historical and theological development of the redemptive-historical approach as it emerged in the Netherlands; (2) To explore and synthesize the core principles of this approach by examining the writings of several of its most prominent advocates.”
  • The Deacon: A Divine Right Office with Divine Uses, by C. N. Willborn. The author has written with the hope “of defining the office of deacon, elevating it in the eyes of church membership, and providing a fully functional diaconate.” Dr. Willborn sets “forth the biblical basis of the office of deacon, the biblical nature and duties of the office of deacon, and the relation of the diaconate to the eldership.”
  • And the Article section should be rounded out by Calvin on the Inner Testimony, by Gary Milne.

Last edited:
My birthday's in October! I'm putting it at the top of my list. My wife gave me the current volumes for our anniversary and they are delightful and edifying to the utmost. I must mention that I particularly enjoy the concept of the Psallo section and hope that you continue to keep it up.

Also. Some of the reviews are as follows (this is about half of them):
Richard B. Gaffin, Review: Cornelis P. Venema, Accepted and Renewed in Christ: The “Twofold Grace of God” and the Interpretation of Calvin's Theology (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2007). Reviewed by Richard B. Gaffin. Jeff Waddington, Reviews: J. Todd Billings, Union with Christ: A Doctrine in Contention (New York: Oxford University Press, 2007); Michael Horton, Covenant and Salvation: Union with Christ (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2007). Mark A. Garcia, Life in Christ: Union with Christ and the Twofold Grace in Calvin’s Theology (Eugene, Oreg.: Wipf and Stock, 2009). Guy Waters, Review: Harold W. Hoehner, Ephesians: An Exegetical Commentary (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2002). R. Scott Clark, Review: Charles E. Hill, From the Lost Teaching of Polycarp: Identifying Irenaeus' Apostolic Presbyter and the Author of ad Diognetum. Vol. 186, Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen Zum Neuen Testament (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2006). James Dolezal, Review: J. van Genderen and W.H. Velema, Concise Reformed Dogmatics (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P& R Publishing, 2008). Wes Bredenhof, Review: Michael S. Horton, People and Place: A Covenant Ecclesiology (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2008). Chris Hutchinson, Review: Sinclair B. Ferguson, In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel-Centered Life (Lake Mary, Fla: Reformation Trust Pub, 2007). Ryan M. McGraw, Review: Daniel R. Hyde, In Living Color: Images of Christ and the Means of Grace (Wyoming, Mich.: The Reformed Fellowship, 2009).

Oh wow, sounds like some great articles in there. I can't wait!

-----Added 8/26/2009 at 06:06:52 EST-----

Also, great cover art!

Thank you Chris. I'll be saving my pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters for this issue :up:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back