The Confessional Presbyterian: Sic et Non: Exclusive Psalmody (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
The Confessional Presbyterian. Sic et Non (Yes and No). As some avid readers of the journal know a few years back Lane and I brainstormed over how to address in a scholarly way, the views coming out of WSCal which were giving others some consternation. The first outing we titled Westminster Seminary California Distinctives? We wanted a forum to have dueling papers and rebuttals, where issues could be addressed in “a collegial and scholarly discussion of noteworthy if not controversial positions within the Confessionally Reformed community.”
I. Law and Gospel. By Michael S. Horton with Response by Mark A. Garcia. II. The Reformed Two Kingdoms Doctrine. By David VanDrunen with Response by Jeffrey C. Waddington. III. The Republication of the Covenant of Works. By J. V. Fesko with Response by Cornel Venema. Because of schedules we had to complete III last year and will complete rounds I and II this year.

We intended the feature to be occasional but the first outing having spread across three issues has dragged into time for another topic. That topic is going to be Exclusive Psalmody and the plan is to address it next year in our eleventh issue, if CPJ is still around, something of a year to year question.

I had this topic in mind when we drafted the format of Sic and Non. As some know many years ago I proposed some kind of formal debate on EP by having papers on the subject to be hosted on PB; that never materialized. After seeing how Sic et Non has performed I think that is the avenue to address this topic perhaps in a way it has not been done before. We are just laying out the ground work but if everyone remains on board and in good health, we intend to have dueling debates next year. Each side will have an opening paper phrasing the proof of their position (presuming the RPW), then each side rebuts the other’s opening paper, and then each side answers the rebuttals. We may have teams or it may be individual work. Right now as things stand they look like this:

Sic et Non: Exclusive Psalmody
EP: The Rev. Matthew Winzer, Australian Free Church
NonEP: The Rev. Andrew J. Webb, PCA (USA).

So something to look forward to, D.V. You can purchase back issues of The Confessional Presbyterian at the link in my signature. The 2005 first issue is out of print; so full unused sets are no longer possible. I may offer a v2-9/10 deal in the coming weeks as we start beating the bushes on our annual attempt to sell the next issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back