The Consequences of Sinning in Baptism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil, what in my confession (3FU, but you may include the WCF and Catechisms) states or implies such I am not in alignment with in this matter of baptism and Baptists?

You can include Article 34 (last paragraph) of the Belgic Confession:

"Therefore we detest the error of the Anabaptists, who are not content with the one only baptism they have once received, and moreover condemn the baptism of the infants of believers, whom we believe ought to be baptized and sealed with the sign of the covenant, as the children in Israel formerly were circumcised, upon the same promises which are made unto our children. And indeed Christ shed his blood no less for the washing of the children of the faithful, than for adult persons; and therefore they ought to receive the sign and sacrament of that, which Christ hath done for them; as the Lord commanded in the law, that they should be made partakers of the sacrament of Christ's suffering and death, shortly after they were born, by offering for them a lamb, which was a sacrament of Jesus Christ. Moreover, what circumcision was to the Jews, that baptism is for our children. And for this reason Paul calls baptism the circumcision of Christ."

So, again, what are the spirtual consequences for the erring party (and those in their orb)? Any brave takers? Pastors?

A Baptist church that requires and enforces baptism as a condition for participation in the Supper would prohibit anyone baptized as a child (which would include the entirety of the fathers of the Reformed tradition). I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'spiritual consequence', but suspect that this would qualify.

Those within the Reformed tradition (with rare exception), would never ordain a Baptist to the office of elder.

That's about the extent of the consequences that come to my mind.

however, I doubt that my greatest sins will be points where I was confused in my doctrine; it is far more likely that they will be situations where I plunged ahead knowingly into selfish, self-promoting and unloving actions. May God have mercy on us all.
AMEN!!! No one is exempt here Dr.

I do not know how many Reformed Baptists would take the same approach of charity. But I imagine some would.
Our church's policy is that one cannot become a member without being baptised according to our Confession, i.e. upon a credible statement of faith. They can be adherents, though, and the only thing from which they are excluded are voting during Church meetings (although they may comment and give input) and becoming Church officers. They are welcome at the Lord's table, etc. This was me and my wife's status for six or so years (having been baptised as infants in the Dutch Reformed Church), until we became convicted to be baptised as professors of the faith.

For example, one of our adherents is a beloved brother and Reverend from the Presbyterian Church (I am not familiar with the distribution of Presbyterian denominations in South Africa, and whether there even are more than one). He left that denomination because of their ordination of homosexual presbyters. He truly is a beloved brother, and even preaches at our Church from time to time. I deeply respect the position our congregation has taken in this matter, and I believe it is one of the ways in which Christ builds His church despite the differences between believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back