The constraint of love

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Stedfast Adherence to the Profession of our Faith), Works 3:252-253:

The constraint of conscience is good where there can be no better; but I would lead you to a better constraint, and that is the constraint of love: The love of Christ constrains me, says the apostle, to live to him. There is no man ever will be in heaven but he that loves heaven, and no man walks in the way to heaven but he that loves that way. There is a perverse love of heaven, and a mistaken love of the way to it; and if people would examine their hearts, and find the matter thus with them, I may say, in a word, there is a determination about your state. A Christian loves heaven because Christ is there, and there he is seen and enjoyed; and a Christian loves the way to heaven because it all lies through Christ: I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. The virtue of the sacrifice, giving himself for me, is the very strength of my life. Whenever I would be recovered, and refreshed, and strengthened, I take a meal by faith of this love, and of his giving himself for me, and do it delightfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back