The Correlation Between the 2nd Commandment and EP Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much, and we are well. :) We’re fervently praying the same!
Jeri, off-topic somewhat but not really: years ago I came across some tapes of psalm-singing from your denom I think. I sent for their Psalter which was called “The Book of Psalms for Singing”. Is there anywhere I could find another sung collection? The cassette tapes are long gone. I know they are individually recorded on YouTube but is there any other recording?

Jeri, off-topic somewhat but not really: years ago I came across some tapes of psalm-singing from your denom I think. I sent for their Psalter which was called “The Book of Psalms for Singing”. Is there anywhere I could find another sung collection? The cassette tapes are long gone. I know they are individually recorded on YouTube but is there any other recording?
The newest version of the RP Psalter (Book of Psalms for Worship)has mp3 and cd sung versions for sale, but they’re expensive, sadly. There is a group of RP folks on the exclusive psalmody Facebook page who have recorded some of the Psalms and I think it’s supposedly an ongoing project; I’ll see if I can hunt them down. I really wish sung recordings were more accessible, it’s very helpful for learning. You probably know about Psalter.org and the Psalter app, which offer only digital recordings with which to learn the tunes.

Soundcloud has congregational or live recordings of all or almost all of the 1650 Psalms of David, and of course there is a 1650 app which also has sung recordings of each tune.

Jimmy, I have a hard job understanding what you and Sarah have advocated above as anything other than implicit faith in the authority of one's elders. Given that the OPC has EP ministers and EP congregations, I cannot see why it should have that big a problem with having peaceable EP members in non-EP congregations.

Daniel, I am personally friends with an EP member of my particular congregation. He is a good man and gives of himself in service to our congregation frequently. My point, which I may have had difficulty making clearly,was not to suggest that an EP only member suffer church discipline because of his convictions. I wouldn't dream of seeing an Elder suggest he be forced to sing, or that he was unwelcome.

Rather it was an attempt to charitably point out ( I thought) that the vast majority of the OPC congregations do not share the EP only conviction. Granted, they could be wrong. In two of his titles D.A. Carson subtitled them 'A Plea For Realism.' My argument was meant to proceed along that line.

I wonder if it is charitable to suggest that singing uninspired hymns is sin, in that it is a violation of the 2nd commandment, when the Book Of Church Order of the OPC directs that practice as a 'duty'? This sounds to me as if the OPC is being condemned for their position.

I've seen this topic come up in many threads over the years, and I usually stay out of it. Perhaps I would have been better off if I'd stayed out of this one. I don't really expect to change anyone's mind. Just thought to point out that the majority of Reformed congregations do not agree with EP. Apparently that is meaningless to those who are convinced otherwise. I respect their opinion, though I cannot share it.

Just thought to point out that the majority of Reformed congregations do not agree with EP. Apparently that is meaningless to those who are convinced otherwise.
It is interesting to note that, in historical terms, proponents of exclusive psalmody stand in the majority (among Presbyterians, at least). Exclusive psalmody only began to be abandoned well into in the 19th century.

One Anglican minister, a solid Christian, told me once that, as far as he sees it, exclusive psalmody has been "tried and found wanting". I'm sure many would say the same of the absence of musical instruments in worship, as well as of the Christian Sabbath.

The newest version of the RP Psalter (Book of Psalms for Worship)has mp3 and cd sung versions for sale, but they’re expensive, sadly. There is a group of RP folks on the exclusive psalmody Facebook page who have recorded some of the Psalms and I think it’s supposedly an ongoing project; I’ll see if I can hunt them down. I really wish sung recordings were more accessible, it’s very helpful for learning. You probably know about Psalter.org and the Psalter app, which offer only digital recordings with which to learn the tunes.

Soundcloud has congregational or live recordings of all or almost all of the 1650 Psalms of David, and of course there is a 1650 app which also has sung recordings of each tune.

I have used this in the past: https://newcreationrpc.org/psalms

(Utterly unrelated, the elders' beards are awesome.)

@JimmyH - If we are going to start to determine doctrine by a show of hands, you might want to abandon the Doctrines of Grace along with Exclusive Psalmody, as the vast majority of churches at this moment are neither.

I am pretty alarmed by what I am reading in this thread. Frankly, shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back