The creepiest thing just happened to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
Just got back from lunch with some friends after church. Right as I pulled in my drive, I noticed a car with two men in it who had arrived just before me. Turns out they're from the LDS church and were looking for my roommate (who's father is LDS). She wasn't home (probably good for her), but apparently someone in her father's family sent them a "record" and they were looking for her to see if she wanted to join them for services. (Side note: I've never seen an LDS church out here, so they must have come a LONG way). The creepy part was how much they knew about her - what her job was, when she moved in with me. She is not in touch with that side of the family at all, so I don't know how they knew all that. They tried to pump me for more information, but I declined and told them they could leave their information with me, but that I needed to respect her privacy and not give her personal information out. They were fine with that, but the whole thing was just very odd.

That is standard LDS procedure from what I understand. I live in Mormon country and have some ex-mormon friends. When you leave they keep hounding and they hound all of your relatives as well.

(That being said, Mormons make great neighbors.)

Kathleen -

There's an LDS ward in Sun River, no too far from you...

Todd

Ah ha! So, they didn't drive as far as I thought.

No, she was never a member. Her parents divorced when she was less than 5 and the only time she ever attended was when she was visiting her father. And when she got older, I think she stayed home rather than attend.

Hopefully, they don't start harassing her.They were reasonable about leaving when I told them she wasn't home and I wouldn't talk about her to them. If they do, we both know the sheriff, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Family could have given them the information.

Could've also gotten it off the internet. I found my Spring 2009 US History I professor's home address and phone number accidentally one day trying to find his academic resume O_O

The family doesn't have the information - that's what perplexed me. The internet is definitely a possibility, but it would have taken some doing. I'm just creeped out that they would go to that trouble.

You'd be surprised Kathleen. I found my professor's information within 5 minutes.

This was factoring in the fact that my purpose was not looking for it. It may have been less than 1 minute if my purpose was to find it.

If someone wanted to look for it, they'd probably find it really quickly.

EDIT:

Of course, if they decide to get stupid and come harass, just tell them that you're calling the cops. They'll be out of there faster than a scared rabbit using rockets.

Well, she's home and she's livid. (which is what I expected). We are coming up with humorous strategies to deflect further interest.

My father was active in the mormon church and is now nominally mormon. He had a heart attack a few years ago and he had just moved. They somehow have retrieved my cell phone number, which is unlisted. They have called me several times looking for him. It is extremely creepy how they get that type of information. If they call me again I am going to tell them I will report them for harassment. It seems harsh but if I change my number they will probably just get that one and keep calling. Also, I received a strange number from Salt Lake City and wonder if it has to do with them looking for my dad. I totally understand the creepiness of it all. My dad has reassured me that he never gave out my cell number. I have no reason to believe that my dad would lie about that. I pay my dad's phone bill and I have already changed his number. So they can't get in touch with him because they don't know to look for his number under my name, thankfully. I don't think people actually realize the power the LDS church actually has. It is quite sad.

What you have experienced is a very lightweight version of what is SOP for the LDS. Don't forget, they are a cult.

Next time they show up... ask them how the weather is today on the planet Kolob. Then inform them that you are pursuing your doctorate in reformed theology and oh.. wouldn't you like to come in for a cup of coffee? I'd love to show you a few things about the five points.... If that doesn't scare them away, hold the wheels of the bicycles hostage until they promise to go away and never come back. :lol: And YES, that is indeed VERY creepy.

(That being said, Mormons make great neighbors.)

I will heartily second this. Our next-door neighbors are Mormons, and they're delightful. We get together often. Sadly, they are moving later this summer, but some of their Mormon friends are taking their place. We're looking forward to meeting them.

We had a member of our church who was baptized Mormon as a teen. She got continuing visits from the missionaries, even when her husband asked them not to come again. Finally, actually through the advice of a Mormon bishop known to one our elders, they sent a letter asking them to cease this activity. Not sure to whom the letter was addressed, i.e. local bishop or mission president. But, it worked. This couple was advised not to have any official contact with Mormons in the future, so as not to encourage them to restart their efforts.

Here in Boise, I estimate no more than 25% of Mormons are actual active, chapel attending, “temple” Mormons. Missionaries spend a lot of time following up on inactive strays.

They don’t come to my door any more. I’m sure they have a file on me somewhere, though I’ve never been Mormon. But, I’ve had enough encounters to merit their keeping such. But, I keep some good tracts on hand in the event of a visit. I especially like one printed by the Institute for Religious Research, “Is Mormonism Christian?,” which deals with the identity of God, Christ, sin, grace, scripture and the church, citing Mormon sources beside what the Bible teaches.

Are Mormonism, Mormon Church, and Mormon beliefs Christian?

Here in Idaho, I'm literally surrounded by the spires of Mormon chapels; probably no less than 10 within a three mile radius.

Here is the "Exit Letter" of friends of mine, now living in Idaho, by which they formally left the Mormon Church. These were life long LDS, multiple generation, both husband and wife having done missions.

Will and Korrin Grigg's Exit Letter

A copy of this might make a good testimony to LDS people who come to the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back