The crucifixion transformed evil into good -- Horatius Bonar

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
Ruben had me read this yesterday: it is by Horatius Bonar, and follows on a summation of all the evils that were gathered at the cross -- guilt and condemnation, shame, weakness, pain, the curse, rejection, hatred, death:

"Such were the evil things connected with the cross, which by the work done by the Son of God have all turned into good. All our evils He took upon Him that He might secure for us all the good belonging to Himself. For condemnation, He gives us pardon; for shame, honour and glory; for weakness, strength; for pain, ease and comfort; for the curse, the blessing; for rejection, acceptance; for hatred, love; for death, life everlasting. He that believeth hath all these things. All the evil passes to Him, and all the good to us, on our crediting the testimony of the Holy Ghost to the cross and the things done there.
"This cross, where so many evil things meet, is the place where all good things are to be found. God gathered all the evil to that spot, that He might utterly make away with it, through Him who took all the evil on Himself, that He might bring out of it only good. At the cross it was consumed by fire: it was buried out of sight. The crucifixion transformed evil into good."

I especially love that last paragraph: I think that to be a 'partaker' with Christ in sufferings is very hard; but this encouraged me that to meet Christ at the cross is to be where all the evil is turned into good.

Ruben had me read this yesterday: it is by Horatius Bonar, and follows on a summation of all the evils that were gathered at the cross -- guilt and condemnation, shame, weakness, pain, the curse, rejection, hatred, death:

"Such were the evil things connected with the cross, which by the work done by the Son of God have all turned into good. All our evils He took upon Him that He might secure for us all the good belonging to Himself. For condemnation, He gives us pardon; for shame, honour and glory; for weakness, strength; for pain, ease and comfort; for the curse, the blessing; for rejection, acceptance; for hatred, love; for death, life everlasting. He that believeth hath all these things. All the evil passes to Him, and all the good to us, on our crediting the testimony of the Holy Ghost to the cross and the things done there.
"This cross, where so many evil things meet, is the place where all good things are to be found. God gathered all the evil to that spot, that He might utterly make away with it, through Him who took all the evil on Himself, that He might bring out of it only good. At the cross it was consumed by fire: it was buried out of sight. The crucifixion transformed evil into good."

I especially love that last paragraph: I think that to be a 'partaker' with Christ in sufferings is very hard; but this encouraged me that to meet Christ at the cross is to be where all the evil is turned into good.

Thanks for sharing this good quote, Heidi.

It reiterates the spiritual principle that permeates all of Scripture; culminating on the cross: Genesis 50:20; Romans 8:28

Thank you, Heidi.
That is a good reminder of all that we lost at the cross, thankfully. I might repost that on facebook.

Oooh. I love Horatius Bonar. And that quote is as good as any I've seen. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back